MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jeep Lift Kit Question

Go down 
+2
skoalman
Educated Redneck
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Educated Redneck
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Educated Redneck

Number of posts : 63
Rig : 2007 Wrangler X Unlimited 4 door
specs. : 2.5" lift, Custom Roof Rack and some extras!
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Jeep Lift Kit Question Empty
PostSubject: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeMon 09 Mar 2009, 6:44 pm

Does anyone have any advice on installing a Rough Country 2.5 inch front and rear coil suspension lift (includes shocks)on my 2007 4 door JK Wrangler? Mind you I have a forklift to help with lifting. I have the manufacturer's instructions, but I am feeling that they may have made it look and sound easier than it may be.
Back to top Go down
skoalman
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
skoalman

Number of posts : 525
Rig : Black Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : Starting to add stuff now.....
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeMon 09 Mar 2009, 6:56 pm

I just had the exact same set up installed on my Jeep.

My advice is get a bunch of guys together that know what the heck they are doing, and stay out of their way.....worked for me.... Very Happy

Not to sound like a smart-ass, but that is exactly what I did....I had no idea what I was doing.

Oh, and make sure you check your shocks for those little shock nut insert thingys...they forgot to put them in my box and I'm still fighing with RC over that one.
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeMon 09 Mar 2009, 9:16 pm

skoalman wrote:
I just had the exact same set up installed on my Jeep.

My advice is get a bunch of guys together that know what the heck they are doing, and stay out of their way.....worked for me.... Very Happy

Not to sound like a smart-ass, but that is exactly what I did....I had no idea what I was doing.

Oh, and make sure you check your shocks for those little shock nut insert thingys...they forgot to put them in my box and I'm still fighing with RC over that one.

Good advice. Most will teach you and show you what they are doing if you ask
Back to top Go down
Educated Redneck
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Educated Redneck

PostSubject: Advice   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 12:54 am

Thanks Gentlemen!
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 5:02 am

I installed the same Rough Country coil suspension lift kit in my sons 98 Jeep Tj and then installed the same lift kit in my wifes 2003 Jeep Tj. I can tell you that it was a pain in the ass for the Tjs. It was finished and love the way it turned out. I was at one of our install parties and watched the guys install a lift on the Jk. It was so easy compared to what i went through. Get the guys together and it wont take long, but, make sure you get in and get your hands dirty. It can be really simple if you have someone guide you through parts of it and you get the satisfaction that you helped install it. Pride in accomplishment . cheers
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 8:06 am

Simple lift to install. I did mine by myself with a little assistance from Shannon. Doing it alone it will take about 6 hours. Add in more people, and the time drops significantly. I think we had Skoalman's done in 3 hours tops (and that was even including the lost time looking for an MIA upper shock nut, and trying to locate the shock sleeves that RC forgot to include.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 8:09 am

And a rain delay Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Educated Redneck
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Educated Redneck

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 9:35 am

Thanks guys. I unexpectedly yet happily have the day off today and so I thought I would install it at a friend's shop. Someone told me I had to have a spring compressor regardless of what the instructions say. Any suggestions? I was just going to push the axle down. Did anyone have to get an alignment after the lift?
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 10:00 am

Educated Redneck wrote:
Thanks guys. I unexpectedly yet happily have the day off today and so I thought I would install it at a friend's shop. Someone told me I had to have a spring compressor regardless of what the instructions say. Any suggestions? I was just going to push the axle down. Did anyone have to get an alignment after the lift?

Nope- no spring compressor. You will have no problems getting the rear springs in. The front passenger side MIGHT give you a problem. If it does, first thing to look at will be the front driveshaft- it could be getting hung up on the skidplate. Just drop the skid plate. If you still can't get the passenger coil in, disconnect the trackbar.

All of my coils still have the original isolator PLUS an added 3/4" spacer. And I did not need a spring compressor for any of them.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 10:01 am

BTW- we will expect pictures by end of day cheers
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 10:35 am

I didnt need any alignment done to either of mine. I think if you go with a really big lift, it might be a different story.
Back to top Go down
skoalman
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
skoalman

Number of posts : 525
Rig : Black Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : Starting to add stuff now.....
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 6:43 pm

Don't think you will need a spring compressor...you might need a 300 pound dipshit to stand on the end of an axle.....but I'm cheap..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Educated Redneck
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Educated Redneck

PostSubject: Finished!   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009, 11:51 pm

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice. I got it done in about 5 hours by myself with a little help from my buddy's forklift. I will have pics up asap. The hardest one I dealt with was the last rear spring. My jeep drives straight down the road yet that same road sure feels a little bumpier now...lol... I used a scissor jack to jack up the opposite side of the axle I was putting the spring in. That worked the best for me. Then I used a crow bar to guide the spring home. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Mark
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeWed 11 Mar 2009, 3:12 am

Congrats on getting it done. I bet it feels good knowing you got your hands dirty. As far as the bumpy ride, Now it feels like a Jeep. When i first bought my wifes Jeep, i replaced the shocks with some Monroe Sensa Tracs. Talk about riding like a Cadillac. Now it feels more Jeepish with the lift. :driving:
Back to top Go down
Educated Redneck
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Educated Redneck

PostSubject: Thanks   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeWed 11 Mar 2009, 9:28 am

TOYZ_2 wrote:
Congrats on getting it done. I bet it feels good knowing you got your hands dirty. As far as the bumpy ride, Now it feels like a Jeep. When i first bought my wifes Jeep, i replaced the shocks with some Monroe Sensa Tracs. Talk about riding like a Cadillac. Now it feels more Jeepish with the lift. :driving:

Thanks for the congrats, I now feel more in tune with the 'ol girl. My friend and I built my roof rack from scratch and installed it, but this feels even better. The only thing I don't know how to do is adjust the steering drag line. The instructions said to do this to straighten the steering wheel so as to not cause a computer error with ESP but it seems fine to me. Anyways, thanks.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeWed 11 Mar 2009, 9:32 am

Educated Redneck wrote:

Thanks for the congrats, I now feel more in tune with the 'ol girl. My friend and I built my roof rack from scratch and installed it, but this feels even better. The only thing I don't know how to do is adjust the steering drag line. The instructions said to do this to straighten the steering wheel so as to not cause a computer error with ESP but it seems fine to me. Anyways, thanks.

If your steering wheel is straight across (the Jeep logo in the center is straight) as you're driving straight down the road, you don't need to adjust (this is most likely as I have yet to see a 2.5" lift cause this to be off, though I know it does happen occasionally).

If the steering wheel is not centered, it will cause the ESP sensors to freak out a bit. To center it- on the drag link you'll see a turnbuckle type connection. Loosen the 2 bolts that secure that (15mm I believe), then turn that which will cause the steering wheel to turn. Just turn it a little and check the steering wheel until you have the steering re-centered.
Back to top Go down
Educated Redneck
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Educated Redneck

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeWed 11 Mar 2009, 11:57 am

Thanks for that information concerning the drag link on the steering wheel N2rock. The reason I asked was that my steering wheel is still dead center regarding the logo. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitimeWed 11 Mar 2009, 12:07 pm

Educated Redneck wrote:
Thanks for that information concerning the drag link on the steering wheel N2rock. The reason I asked was that my steering wheel is still dead center regarding the logo. Thanks again.

You're set then...

NOW LETS SEE THE PICTURES
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeep Lift Kit Question   Jeep Lift Kit Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jeep Lift Kit Question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: Vendors & Aftermarket :: Product section-