MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

starting stock stubby / hidden winch project

Go down 
+7
JK4AER
Bizarro
Hutch
terrahawk
jeeperjennie
akonius
JK-fredd0
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

Number of posts : 812
Rig : 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Registration date : 2009-01-26

starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Empty
PostSubject: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 1:08 am

got the plastic welder today. need to see if 4wp has the smitty built 8k xrc comp instock (synthetic line) and have to go back to harbor freight to get the winch plate.

will post up pics as i progress... then again this may turn into a "why i should have bought a shrockworks bumper" thread...
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 7:51 pm

word of warning...welding is SLOWWW process and isn't as strong as you think it is going to be. I ended up welding my one of my bumper ends the first time around (as a test) and did the "kick" test...after 2 swift kicks, off it flew! That's why I ended up going with the rivet/weld attachment detail for my stock stubby. Just 2 cents from someone who's been there and done that.

I've actually dinged a small tree with the end in Spring Creek and it is still on with no damage. And at Tree's, my front tire rubbed the end during some crazy flex moment...didn't tear it off although it sounded like it did for sure!! Plastic welds may not have been so lucky!
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeFri 03 Apr 2009, 8:31 pm

thanks for the tip... i will reinforce the welds with some duct tape on the inside Smile
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeSat 04 Apr 2009, 6:54 pm

:worthless:
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeSun 05 Apr 2009, 10:37 am

i have not started yet... i thought i was going to start yesterday, but that didn't happen...
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeSun 05 Apr 2009, 10:44 pm

You have to commit man!
Back to top Go down
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Hutch

Number of posts : 524
Rig : Black '07 Unlimited X
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeMon 06 Apr 2009, 12:13 am

jeeperjennie wrote:
:worthless:

Why is this so small? confused
Back to top Go down
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeMon 06 Apr 2009, 3:03 am

i guess like cutting fenders, the hardest part is getting started and making the first cut. with the temp dropping, i think i will wait till wednesday to make the cuts.

i hit a good bonus at work today, so i am half way to a real bumper anyways. I am thinking a rugged ridge or something simple like that. i really am liking the idea of a hidden winch though... oh well.

oh yeah - screw mitchell hill!
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 12:51 am

Searching for a stock stubby write up and found this old thread.

It looks like there are two options, plastic welding or rivots. Are there any pics of either method? I don't have either tool. Anyone have one I can borrow or are they cheap to buy? What can be used to cut the bumper? All I have is a typical powersaw and a rotozip. I don't know if the rotozip wheel blade would cut a straight enough line.

I was talking with a friend at work about doing the stubby cut. He offered me his basic X stock bumper with no fog lights to practice on. So I can cut it and try it out without risk to my bumper.

Any advice?
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 1:18 am

Paging akonious. Your experience is needed sir?
Back to top Go down
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 10:04 am

i have to find the site that i had... i think it was on the bad forum...
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 11:05 am

JK-fredd0 wrote:
i have to find the site that i had... i think it was on the bad forum...

hehe...yea, you prob read my post on "The forum we speak of"! LOL!
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 11:14 am

Bizarro wrote:
Searching for a stock stubby write up and found this old thread.

It looks like there are two options, plastic welding or rivots. Are there any pics of either method? I don't have either tool. Anyone have one I can borrow or are they cheap to buy? What can be used to cut the bumper? All I have is a typical powersaw and a rotozip. I don't know if the rotozip wheel blade would cut a straight enough line.

I was talking with a friend at work about doing the stubby cut. He offered me his basic X stock bumper with no fog lights to practice on. So I can cut it and try it out without risk to my bumper.

Any advice?

Bizarro - Give me a bit and I'll post up my writeup on this forum, I did a full writeup last year on the "other" forum. I'll put it here in the "Home Brew" thread. I basically used rivets *and* welded...sounds like you already have what you need to! I used a jigsaw with a good wood blade to cut the plastic and the rotozip to chop the steel inner bumper. For the welding - a good high wattage soldering iron will do...but you'll need a spade bit. Should have the post up later on...pm me with any questions.

starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Winchon0001
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

Number of posts : 292
Rig : '08 Black JKU Rubi
specs. : Loaded with two carseats!!!
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeTue 08 Jun 2010, 10:35 pm

akonius wrote:

Bizarro - Give me a bit and I'll post up my writeup on this forum, I did a full writeup last year on the "other" forum. I'll put it here in the "Home Brew" thread. I basically used rivets *and* welded...sounds like you already have what you need to! I used a jigsaw with a good wood blade to cut the plastic and the rotozip to chop the steel inner bumper. For the welding - a good high wattage soldering iron will do...but you'll need a spade bit. Should have the post up later on...pm me with any questions.

starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Winchon0001

Sorry for bringiing this thread back to life, but after some JK soul searching I think this is the route I want to go for now. This offers everything I want (mid-width and winch) until I'm ready (skill wise and dollar wise) to pull the trigger on a lift and other goodies. This thought is further cemented by the fact I am having to switch daycares for my 2 year old becuase he just got bit for the 3rd time since he started in February (WTF!?) - the new place is a lot more expensive so JK mods will need to sit for a bit, but hey, that's parenting right!?

Anyways, to the point, did this write up ever get posted? I haven't seen anything although I guess I could do a search on everyone's favorite forum...

Thanks, as always!

EDIT: Found the write-up on JKF. Great write-up by the way, just not sure if I have the skills/patience for this...
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 10:13 am

Art,

Just do it. Take your time and you will do just fine.
If your not happy with the result, it is always easy to find a new stock bumper somewhere. Or look for a donor bumper first, and then start your project.
Back to top Go down
Great Pumpkin
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Great Pumpkin

Number of posts : 191
Rig : 2009 JK Unlimited
specs. : Sunburst Orange / auto / 4WD / half doors
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 1:23 pm

This is one of the many projects I'd like to attempt once I have a garage. It's going to be a minimum of two years before I can upgrade my front bumper so I'd definitely like to make it a little more functional and chop it down.
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 2:59 pm

Great Pumpkin wrote:
This is one of the many projects I'd like to attempt once I have a garage. It's going to be a minimum of two years before I can upgrade my front bumper so I'd definitely like to make it a little more functional and chop it down.

I have a garage, you can come over and we will do them both...yours first though! starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Great Pumpkin
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Great Pumpkin

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 3:43 pm

That's a mighty far drive to use your garage. I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap bumper so experiment with in case I butcher it. Mine is the basic X bumper with stock front hooks cut into it (which was much more of a PITA than I expected). I'm hoping to find an upgraded bumper with the fogs and hook cutouts already to chop up.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 3:52 pm

I've go a free plastic bumper cover with ding in the passenger side. you could expirement with it.

FREE ..... just get it out of my garage......... please
Back to top Go down
Great Pumpkin
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Great Pumpkin

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 6:20 pm

if it has foglight and tow hook cutouts I would be very tempted in picking it up. I'm heading down to Kingsville this weekend and I may have to figure out a way to swing wide and get close to you.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 9:15 pm

yup. fog light & tow hook cut outs. fog lights are gone tho. I'll be out of town this weekend, but can prolly leave it with someone in town if anyone is avail.
Back to top Go down
Great Pumpkin
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Great Pumpkin

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 7:56 pm

Ugh, that's so tempting but I don't know if the wife is going to want to turn the already 3.5 hour drive out to Kingsville into a 6 hour haul.

JK4AER, you should scoop up this bumper to take some practice swings on.
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 9:26 pm

Great Pumpkin wrote:
Ugh, that's so tempting but I don't know if the wife is going to want to turn the already 3.5 hour drive out to Kingsville into a 6 hour haul.

I think I'm going to go for it the first time with mine, probably won't get on it for another week or two though. If I screw mine up too bad, then maybe I'll take jkx0778 up on it!
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 10:13 am

Damn IT !!! i can't get rid of this thing and it's FREEEEEEE Crying or Very sad

lol!
Back to top Go down
jeetyet
Poster child
Poster child
jeetyet

Number of posts : 360
Rig : 91 xj
specs. : daily drivin slow turd
Registration date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 10:43 am

Great Pumpkin wrote:

man, how fast do you drive to make it to kingsville in 3.5 hours? used to take us 6 hours when we were on the king ranch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: starting stock stubby / hidden winch project   starting stock stubby / hidden winch project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

starting stock stubby / hidden winch project
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Home Brew-show your handywork-
Jump to: