MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Painted the rusty muffler...

Go down 
+2
JK_JOE
Mr.RonGilbert
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Painted the rusty muffler... Empty
PostSubject: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 8:44 pm

I had hoped that painting it black would kind of make it blend it with the rest and I like the way it turned out...

Before...
Painted the rusty muffler... P1290039
After..
Painted the rusty muffler... P4190374
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 8:51 pm

Mine was so ugly I took it completely off....

Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 9:57 pm

Looks good, I painted mine as well.
Back to top Go down
Duke
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Duke

Number of posts : 477
Rig : JEEP
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009, 10:05 pm

I painted mine black as well and trimmed about 90% of the exhaust tip off after crushing it almost closed a couple of times. Oddly enough I have never hit the muffler though.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 9:54 am

That was the first mod I did with the new Jeep.
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 10:40 am

I have been thinking about doing this too. Was hoping for a little more info since its in the "how-to's" section. Do you need to take the whole muffler off or just spray what you see? If you left it on did you newspaper parts of the jeep or is it far enough under to not worry about it? What is the best type of paint to use that is heat resistant?
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 12:38 pm

Bizarro wrote:
I have been thinking about doing this too. Was hoping for a little more info since its in the "how-to's" section. Do you need to take the whole muffler off or just spray what you see? If you left it on did you newspaper parts of the jeep or is it far enough under to not worry about it? What is the best type of paint to use that is heat resistant?

I didn't tape anything off and just cleaned the muffler a little bit. My JK was less than a week old, so it was still relatively clean.
I bought black spray paint that you would use for a BBQ, that is able to handle high temperatures.

Easy to do.
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 6:21 pm

Painted the rusty muffler... Thumb_11
Back to top Go down
Duke
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Duke

Number of posts : 477
Rig : JEEP
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 6:53 pm

Bizarro wrote:

I grabbed a can of flat black BBQ grill paint and went to town. No cleaning, no prep, no problem. Still looks good 20 months later.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009, 7:35 pm

Apologies for the lame "how-to" you are absolutely correct in expecting a little more.... I should have included more details. :duh:

I didn't tape anything or use any newspaper... figured it would have a nice coat of dirt soon enough anyway. I used the black high temp engine paint from tractor supply. I also painted some other rusty looking stuff while I was under there.

I really like how it kinda disappeared when I painted it black, good results from a simple can of paint that I also used on my BBQ pit.

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about spray painting but was afraid to ask... (I will admit I was looking for something smart Azz but found a real gem in the process)
http://www.ehow.com/how_2084632_spray-paint-its-all-wrist.html

I was cracking up the whole time that I read that article... the beginning speaks volumes about the author...
"Almost every time I go into the local home center, I breeze through the
aisle with all the spray paints to see if they have any new and
exciting colors.

It seems like I am always coming up with
something to spray paint, whether it's a picture frame we found at a
garage sale or a brand-new item we found on sale, but was just not the
right color.

I must have 30 to 40 partly used cans of spray
paint already, but somehow I just feel a need to see if I am missing
anything, I guess.

I find spray painting both frustrating (at
times) and very rewarding (usually). To me, there is nothing like
making a beat-up-looking object look like new again simply by spraying
a little paint onto it."
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009, 12:04 pm

I stopped by home depot on the way home yesterday and picked up the high temp spray used for BBQ pits. I used a piece of card board as a make shift spray guard to prevent any spray from getting on the yellow body under there. You guys with darker colors might not care as much because it would barely be noticeable. I don't even know if the spray would have gotten on it but I was being a little cautious and the card board was easy. I figured I want it to look good incase I ever flip the jeep over. affraid I had to clean mine pretty good since the whole jeep is covered in mud. The muffler is the cleanest part now but it looks good black instead of rusty.

Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009, 8:04 pm

Looks good!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painted the rusty muffler...   Painted the rusty muffler... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painted the rusty muffler...
Page 1 of 1