MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ox Locker Install

Go down 
+9
jkdrone
Dutchboy101
Renee10
terrahawk
Mr.RonGilbert
jeff.lyon3
JK_JOE
skoalman
N2rock
13 posters
AuthorMessage
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 6:49 pm

No need to go into details on the assembly and install of the Ox as the Ox instructions are pretty straight forward click here for Ox Instructions- warning, large pdf file!

there is only one problem with the Ox instructions: on page #3, step #6- It appears that you simply screw the cable end into the cover. However you can only screw the cable so far before it disappears into the shift fork. Once the cable is in there, you have no way to hold on to it in order to screw it in further. And at that point, it is only about 1/2 way from where it needs to be. Took quite some time to figure out that you have to remove 2 c-clips that are holding the fork, then unscrew the fork assembly from the diff cover. Once all of that is removed, you can then screw the cable the remainder of the way that is necessary. Geo was not real pleased with this issue considering it cost us a LOT of time and effort to figure out how to cure the problem. No doubt Geo will remember this on any future Ox installs.

Rear opened up and getting ready to start working

Ox Locker Install Oxresize12

Introducing the Ox to my ring gear

Ox Locker Install Oxresize13

Then the BIG problem hit. Some early '07 models (after they switched from D35 to D44 in all models) have 1/2" ring gear bolts. Later in '07 (and all since then) have 7/16" ring gear bolts. Well of course Murphy's Law- mine has the 1/2" bolts, and the Ox holes were made for 7/16" bolts. I thought my day was shot right there. There is no way possible a drill press is going to drill larger holes in that Ox- that steel is seriously hardened. Lucky for me, there is a machine shop right behind Geo's shop, and a couple guys were there working on stuff. Geo talked to them and they helped us out. Did I say that the steel is hardened? It took them 3 HOURS and they destroyed 2 endmill bits (I think that's what those bits are called??) drilling out the holes for me. Payment was a case of beer cheers I bought them 2 cases since they saved me so much!

I won't bore you with the details of routing the cable. Anyone that is interested in seeing the cable run, click on thumbnails:

Ox Locker Install Th_oxresize17Ox Locker Install Th_oxresize14Ox Locker Install Th_oxresize15Ox Locker Install Th_oxresize16Ox Locker Install Th_oxresize18

Ox Locker Install Th_oxresize19Ox Locker Install Th_oxresize20Ox Locker Install Th_oxresize21Ox Locker Install Th_oxresize22

Cable routed, and shifter mounted- notice the RockRash4x4 custom touch- he powder coated the shifter nob black, but left the knurled portion of the nob un-coated (I love the look). He also powder coated the shifter plate (where the X and O are), then grinded off the powder coating leaving just the X and O in black- a really nice touch IMHO.

Ox Locker Install Oxresize23

Ox Locker Install Oxresize24

Ox Locker Install Oxresize25

Finished

Ox Locker Install 057resize

Ox Locker Install 059resize

Ox Locker Install 061resize

Ox Locker Install 062resize
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
skoalman
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
skoalman

Number of posts : 525
Rig : Black Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : Starting to add stuff now.....
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 7:00 pm

Very nicely done....

That unit looks hell for strong.
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 7:38 pm

Nice Cool
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 7:57 pm

Almost forgot... While Geo & Timmay were busy with the technical stuff, I was busy with the non-technical but oh so important cosmetic stuff

I painted my jerry can holders black, painted the jerry cans olive drab, and painted my muffler high-temp black

Ox Locker Install Rear
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 8:39 pm

Sweet.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 9:05 pm

Nice job.... it looks like you installed your seat waaaay too far forward though....

(great job on the install Geo... and the cans look great too)
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 9:17 pm

Coolio Stevo.
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeSun 03 May 2009, 9:53 pm

Very Nice, I likey!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeMon 04 May 2009, 10:38 am

Very nice. Great write up.
Back to top Go down
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeMon 04 May 2009, 11:02 am

Dude, that's freaking tight. I think you need to change your name to 'GnarlyRock' =)

!c
Back to top Go down
Educated Redneck
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Educated Redneck

Number of posts : 63
Rig : 2007 Wrangler X Unlimited 4 door
specs. : 2.5" lift, Custom Roof Rack and some extras!
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeMon 04 May 2009, 3:26 pm

Super Jealous Here! :jawdrop:
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeMon 04 May 2009, 5:57 pm

very cool steve
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeMon 04 May 2009, 7:51 pm

got me itching for a rear locker now.... just no $$ to do it Sad
Back to top Go down
rohantmh
Poster child
Poster child
rohantmh

Number of posts : 243
Rig : 2008 X BOB
specs. : 2dr 6 speed
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeMon 04 May 2009, 8:10 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
Nice job.... it looks like you installed your seat waaaay too far forward though....

Have you seen Stevo's legs?? seat's just right....lol Looks great Steve! Got me thinkin... :drool2:
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitimeMon 04 May 2009, 8:18 pm

rohantmh wrote:
Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

Have you seen Stevo's legs?? seat's just right....lol Looks great Steve! Got me thinkin... :drool2:

Oh... the H-town guys always give me shit about my short legs. They're just jealous because short legs let me wheel better than them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ox Locker Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ox Locker Install   Ox Locker Install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ox Locker Install
Page 1 of 1