MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.

Go down 
+4
rohantmh
CRUX
jeff.lyon3
Mr.RonGilbert
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Empty
PostSubject: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 4:46 pm

A little over five years ago I bought a 30' toy hauler to haul motorcycles around.... it's paid for and has most of the comforts of home, including a generator, fridge, shower etc. We also use it when it is time to run from hurricanes. I bought the Jeep after I paid my truck off - and an F250 makes a nice tow rig. Anyway - no more motorcycles and now a new hobby that had me wondering how I was going to get the camper AND the jeep to the cool wheeling spots....
How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. P5170604
How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. P5170606

How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. P5170608
I measured it.... good to go height-wise with about 4 1/2" to spare in the lowest spot where a loft bed stows against the ceiling. Just right length-wise with just enough room to get the spare tire clear of the door. Had to remove a fold down couch/bed to make enough room for the width of the Jeep.

SO... I know it will fit and the trailer is rated for 4900# (triple axle) which is close but still won't overload it. Then the challenge was to get it in there... I know that the gate won't work and pulled the front tires onto it just to check and quickly took it off. I ordered a set of 5K# rated aluminum ramps, picked up a pair of 2x12x16 wooden planks so the weight of the Jeep is distributed across the trailer frame and not point loaded in one spot. I tested the setup today and it fit like a glove - engine centered over the three axles and still room to squeeze my big ass out the door and out the back.
How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. P5170596
How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. P5170597
How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. P5170594
How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. P5170600

Not much wiggle room but in there none-the-less. I will move the boards over on the passenger side to center up the tire. The parking brake will be set, I have a set of chocks and the rig will be tied down with ratchet straps to keep it from shifting while under way.

Can anyone think of potential problems that I may have? I have a few days to work them out before heading out to K-rocks on Friday.
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 4:50 pm

Sweet.

Biggest problem is I don't have one.

I could probably live in that
Back to top Go down
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 4:56 pm

Guess the new 5" lift & 37's isn't happening for a while lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
rohantmh
Poster child
Poster child
rohantmh

Number of posts : 243
Rig : 2008 X BOB
specs. : 2dr 6 speed
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 4:56 pm

That's BAD-ASS Ron, you da man! :youtheman:
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 5:13 pm

CRUX wrote:
Guess the new 5" lift & 37's isn't happening for a while lol!

Ya... if the 37s only lift it an additional inch then I am good to go..... too much more than that and I will have to get a bigger hammer....

rohantmh wrote:
That's BAD-ASS Ron, you da man! :youtheman:

Thanks! It is a HUGE relief... I was torn on whether I should sell it and buy a cab over and a trailer or something.... I put a huge chunk of change down when I bought it and would get screwed for sure if I tried to sell or trade it so I am real happy that it worked out.

Hopefully it will pull ok... it sits nice and level when it is loaded and I have one of the gorilla hitch setups with the torsion bars and anti-sway hookup.

We shall see...
Back to top Go down
rhickman70
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
rhickman70

Number of posts : 70
Rig : 2005 TJ
specs. : 3 in. BB lift, rough country discos, 33" km2
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 8:03 pm

that looks sweet
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 9:09 pm

Wow, that looks great!

I think the only thing I would be worried about is how to tie it down, I'm sure you got that figured out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeSun 17 May 2009, 10:07 pm

Renee10 wrote:
Wow, that looks great!

I think the only thing I would be worried about is how to tie it down, I'm sure you got that figured out.

There are tie down points located in the floor, they are connected to the frame. I will most likely upgrade those in the future but never had a problem with them when I hauled motorcycles... will get a beefier set for the weight of the JK.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeMon 18 May 2009, 10:10 am

Wow, nice set up. I think you have it all covered.
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2009, 4:55 am

my only thought would be the tie-downs...if they're connected to the frame, I guess you should be good with real good strapping to lock it all in place. You basically have a Jeep on "wood skis" in the back if those points fail...YIKES!

Aside from that...I'm green with envy - TOO COOL!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2009, 3:35 pm

I would be very worried about your truck being able to tow it with full control of the trailer.
I don't know what your truck is rated at, towing wise. But that is a lot of trailer and heavy cargo to pull.

Take it easy on your drive to Katemcy, look forward to seeing you there.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2009, 8:05 pm

akonius wrote:
my only thought would be the tie-downs...if they're
connected to the frame, I guess you should be good with real good
strapping to lock it all in place. You basically have a Jeep on "wood
skis" in the back if those points fail...YIKES!

Thanks for the terrifying visual..... I double checked the tie downs and where they were mounted and decided to get some new stainless bolts with better washers etc... going with a larger bolt and am going to drill out the holes, install the new hardware etc... on Thursday.

I also got four of those heavy duty rubber chocks and four 20000# ratchet straps to secure the load.

Dutchboy101 wrote:
I would be very worried about your truck being able to tow it with full control of the trailer.
I don't know what your truck is rated at, towing wise. But that is a lot of trailer and heavy cargo to pull.

Take it easy on your drive to Katemcy, look forward to seeing you there.

The tow rig is an F250 with the 6.4 Diesel rated at 17000# so the whole thing is still under the rated towing capabilities. Its chipped out and has the CAI and custom exhaust etc... so there is plenty of power. Gonna take it easy to save on fuel and enjoy the ride. Have a handful of DVDs to watch on the way up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.   How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Properly Stuff a Toy Hauler.
Page 1 of 1