MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too)

Go down 
+2
The Raven
NTX JK
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NTX JK
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
NTX JK

Number of posts : 25
Rig : 07 JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : Stock except for some Smielys
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) Empty
PostSubject: Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too)   Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 12:28 pm

This the way I made my mesh grill. I have seen a few others, but this is what I had to work with. First I stopped at home depot to get my mesh screen. People have been using the leaf guards for rain gutters so that is where I looked. And this is what I ended up with. Link. I bought those, but I bought them seperatly and they cost I belive $1.39 each. I bought 3, but you only need 2. Next I bought a pack of 40 8 inch zip ties. Those were under $2. Then I bought 2 packs (10 each) of the 1 inch by 1 inch zip tie mounting bases. Link. Again, not the same one, but just to show you what they are. That is all that I bought at home depot since I had everything else at home (primer, black spray paint, rubbing alcohol, and super glue). First, pull the hinges off of the leaf guards (I used pliars) and cut them in half long ways. Then cut the into 3 equal pieces so you have a total of 6 out of 1 guard. You will have to cut 1 more out of the other guard. I went ahead and painted my grill flat black. I put 1 coat of primer, and 3 coats of black paint. I took the grill off (6 plastic screw thingies on top) and the bottom just pulls out. Clean the back of the grill between the slots with the rubbing alcohol and I used super glue to keep the zip tie mounting bases down since the sticky part isn't that great. You should let this dry for a while cause I let my dry for about 30 minutes and a few of mine popped off. Now just zip tie the guards on after they dry. Really easy job, and it cost me $11.24 cents and I bought 1 too many guards so it should be less than 10 dollars if you already have the paint and stuff at home. Here are some pictures.

Before
Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) DSC02335

After
Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) DSC02340

Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) DSC02338

Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) DSC02339
Back to top Go down
The Raven
Poster child
Poster child
The Raven

Number of posts : 313
Rig : 09 X ulimited **1/2 doors**
specs. : 2.5" TF BB 35" KM
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too)   Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 1:20 pm

i did the very same thing to Rescue1. it's on my to do list for The Raven.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too)   Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 1:25 pm

nice write up. looks good.
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too)   Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 5:30 pm

very cool mod
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too)   Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 8:06 pm

Looks good
Back to top Go down
..::Ryan::..
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
..::Ryan::..

Number of posts : 758
Rig : '08 Rubicon
specs. : 3.25 RC Lift - OR-Fab Stinger
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too)   Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 11:56 am

I like it. We use the same zip tie things here at work for network cables lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too)   Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mesh grill for JK for $10 (probably others too)
Page 1 of 1