MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

WTF happened....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

Number of posts : 1278
Rig : black '07 Rubicon
specs. : 4.5" Long Arm, 35 KM2's
Registration date : 2008-04-15

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009, 11:53 am

Please enlighten me!

So yesterday, I went to SCORP for only a couple of hours. Got a little mud in the wheels. Before I left, I aired up and then drove home. During the drive, I notice a shaking...I figured it was from the mud causing the wheel to not be balanced. I stop spray off the wheel at the carwash and all seems fine.

This morning I leave for Huntsville. After passing Willis, notice the shaking come back...it gets worse and worse. I make it to Huntsville and stop and find my rear driver tire about half full and the sidewall looking funny.

I air up the tire and get this...
WTF happened.... 0621090945a

WTF!!!

Changed the tire and let the pressure back out and this is what it looked liked (about the same as when I had 1st stopped)...sry for the cell pics..

WTF happened.... 0621091002

Just fyi, this tire is only about 2-3 months old. I have now had to replace a tire once a month for the last 3 months in a row (and they've all been in the back)...getting old!
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009, 12:02 pm

looks like one of the plys in the sidewall got a leak I think that there are three (or six) plys on the sidewalls of those tires and it seems as if one found its way to the air chamber of the tire causing it to partially separate. It is trashed, just a matter of time before it completely separates. Kinda like an internal blowout... or a "blow-in" perhaps.....

If you got them at Discount and have the warranty I would wash the mud off and take them back, should replace at no charge.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 1:38 pm

maybe a bad batch of tires. the rubber or belts, etc. have they all been replaced for the same thing? if so, i would send the pics to BFG and bitch them out for poor quality and that you will be telling all your friends and anyone who will listen... could get a free set of tires out of it and get them to look into it before that happens to someone and completely blows out and someone gets hurt or worse, killed.
Back to top Go down
Duke
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Duke

Number of posts : 477
Rig : JEEP
Registration date : 2008-04-13

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 2:03 pm

jkx0778 wrote:
maybe a bad batch of tires. the rubber or belts, etc. have they all been replaced for the same thing? if so, i would send the pics to BFG and bitch them out for poor quality and that you will be telling all your friends and anyone who will listen... could get a free set of tires out of it and get them to look into it before that happens to someone and completely blows out and someone gets hurt or worse, killed.

More than likely that is caused by a severe impact (ie....curb at high speed) and not a defect. If it was a defect it would have been noticed earlier. Karma is a bitch and I would not attact someone unless you KNOW it is there fault.
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 5:16 pm

Duke wrote:
jkx0778 wrote:

More than likely that is caused by a severe impact (ie....curb at high speed) and not a defect. If it was a defect it would have been noticed earlier. Karma is a bitch and I would not attact someone unless you KNOW it is there fault.

1st off...the other tires got replaced only due to nails/screw in the sidewall (non-repairable)...just have replaced a few in the couple of months...getting old

Next...there was no severe impact..esp such as hitting a curb at high speed. Before this happened, I was at SCORP (see post)...done nothing extreme to the tires, we've all rubbed...I'l hit/scrape/rub against rocks/dirt offroad but not curbs, thats Jody's area...sry j/k...drove home and then drove it again the next day to Huntsville.

So what exactly happened, I have no clue, thus the reason for my post...thinking there might be some tire expert out there

Of whats been posted, Ron's seems to be the most applicable/best explaination of what happened to the tire itself

No matter, I will be making another trip to Discount Tire this week and should hopefully be getting yet another tire prorated out...lol

...one a side note...thinking maybe I should just drive through a construction zone and get all 4 tires punctured and then maybe be able to pro-rate them out for bigger tires...lol...nah...but was a thought
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 7:15 pm

for the record.... I am far from a tire expert... just a scientific wild ass guess really. Hell..... I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express or anything...

Good luck with the tires and let us know what they say
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 10:17 pm

LOL...not to worry Ron I know
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 11:10 pm

Curb
WTF happened.... Bulb%20Curb%201

What I hit LOL
WTF happened.... Caltrans.krail
Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun 2009, 9:31 am

just mess'n w/ya Jody
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WTF happened.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF happened....   WTF happened.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WTF happened....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Rolling Rubber-
Jump to: