MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to rotate your antenna.

Go down 
+4
jeeperjennie
Dutchboy101
N2rock
NTX JK
8 posters
AuthorMessage
NTX JK
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
NTX JK

Number of posts : 25
Rig : 07 JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : Stock except for some Smielys
Registration date : 2009-04-29

How to rotate your antenna. Empty
PostSubject: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeWed 08 Jul 2009, 11:44 am

I have some windshield mounted lights on my home made brackets and my lights were sticking pretty far out to the side. My antenna was rubbing against them so I decided to rotate it. I now some people have done this but I have never seen a write up on it so here it is. To get the plastic cover off, first unscrew the antenna. There are 2 tabs at 3 and 9 o'clock. You will need to either use a small screw driver to release them or at the bottom of the cover, there is a small hole that you can work a coat hanger through and push the sides out. The tab at 9 o'clock on mine was already sticking out a little so I started with that side. If you use a screw driver, make sure you put tape on the paint so you don't scratch it. This is what the cover looks like on the inside (notice the tabs), and how the antenna is mounted to the panel.
How to rotate your antenna. DSC02357
How to rotate your antenna. DSC02356

At first, I was going to try and drill 3 more holes and rotate the bracket that it screws into but I found out that it is attached all over the place. So, I drilled 3 more holes on the out side bracket. Where the red dots are at. (Sorry but I don't remember the drill bit size so you will have to match it up with the bolts.)
How to rotate your antenna. DSC02356-1

On the back side of that bracket, there is a tab that sits at the 12 o'clock position. You will need to notch out another spot for that tab to sit roughly around the 11 o'clock position. The red at the top is what you need to notch out.
How to rotate your antenna. DSC02358

After that, you can bolt it back on. My antenna is sticking out a little bit but I am going to secure it better using the 3M clear tabs hook (last picture is from akonius, thanks).
How to rotate your antenna. DSC02364
How to rotate your antenna. DSC02362
How to rotate your antenna. Antenna%20mod%20004_1024x768
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeWed 08 Jul 2009, 2:55 pm

That's a nice mod. I had thought about trying to do something like that back when I did my windshield lights, but I had no idea how it was done. And was afraid of f'ing it up. So I bought a stubby antenna instead... Wish this write-up had been around back then.

I would give you some "points" to your reputation for this post... But I've been disabled lol!
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeWed 08 Jul 2009, 3:09 pm

Great write up. I might have to look into this once I have somelights to put on the Jeep.
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeWed 08 Jul 2009, 4:47 pm

cool thanks for the write up
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeThu 09 Jul 2009, 11:28 am

excellent - you did it! until you get those clear clips, when you go around 40 or so...the antenna may start whipping the crap outta your windshield pillar! Not always but when it's windy it's real bad. I think I got those 3M clips at Target. They've held on even with all the heat. One thing to do though...install the bracket with the open end facing the rear of the Jeep. THEN, put the antenna in the bracket...grab a lighter...and heat the bracket up a bit. The plastic will become pliable and you can bend the opening shut.

Reason I did this (and it's worked great so far)...was that at hwy speeds, sometimes the antenna made it's way outta the bracket and slapped the crap outta the Jeep again!...and there's nothing you can do about it when you're driving!

Anyway - that's the only thing I forgot to mention to you about this mod before! Here's a pic of the clips I used.

How to rotate your antenna. CIMG3434

How to rotate your antenna. CIMG3432
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
NTX JK
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
NTX JK

Number of posts : 25
Rig : 07 JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : Stock except for some Smielys
Registration date : 2009-04-29

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeThu 09 Jul 2009, 11:40 am

No, you told me about it. Notice the last picture in my OP. I just haven't been able to go get them yet. I was coming home last night and there was a storm moving in so it was really windy, plus me going about 70 on the high way, my antenna was slapping the front passenger side window pretty close to the middle of it. I thought it was actually pretty funny. A few times it kinda scared me but I had a good laugh. Now I just need to get up there and get those clips. Thanks again for your help.

Edit: Oh, did you mean about heating the bracket up and bending it? OK, will do. Thanks. With out you telling me everything you did I would probably have a lot of scrapes in my paint right now. And a broken plastic cover.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeThu 09 Jul 2009, 2:55 pm

Hmmm...I wonder if this works for a TJ.
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeThu 09 Jul 2009, 5:42 pm

you also bend the crap out of it like i did mine.
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeThu 09 Jul 2009, 5:42 pm

BTW, what the hell is happening to my rep and points. i was +4 yesterday and now i am -48. that sux
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

Number of posts : 758
Rig : 07 2 door X Flamer 6 spd
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeThu 09 Jul 2009, 6:33 pm

jonsjeep wrote:
BTW, what the hell is happening to my rep and points. i was +4 yesterday and now i am -48. that sux

-60 now, Sad

as of that last click, you went down -2. Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jul 2009, 9:42 am

crazy shit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to rotate your antenna.   How to rotate your antenna. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to rotate your antenna.
Page 1 of 1