MyJEEPforum.com



 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Budget Boost?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
avatar

Number of posts : 1482
Age : 37
Location : Helotes, TX
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 11:03 pm

Cragar Soft 8's in 15x8. $40 each. They look great, are the perfect size for wheeling, you can beat 'em up without feeling bad about it, and you can always find replacements.

EDIT: D'oh! Ninja'ed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
avatar

Number of posts : 72
Age : 30
Location : College Station, TX
Rig : '09 Wrangler Sahara
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Wed 09 Sep 2009, 11:05 pm

I will have to look at those...one other question....
what would the RC 2 1/2 lift do to the warranty? When I purchased my jeep they told me it was covered up to a 4" lift...just wanted to see if i would be ok with the RC 2 1/2 lift and 33" tires?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
avatar

Number of posts : 1593
Age : 48
Location : Richmond, TX
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 12:30 am

Pro Comp X terrains are the suck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
avatar

Number of posts : 72
Age : 30
Location : College Station, TX
Rig : '09 Wrangler Sahara
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 12:35 am

terrahawk wrote:
Pro Comp X terrains are the suck!
haha...sounds like that clears that one up...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
avatar

Number of posts : 1161
Location : hempstead, tx
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 12:36 am

terrahawk wrote:
Pro Comp X terrains are the suck!

x2

this is the best deal on a tire i have ever seen.............the 40's are in my future

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=Geolandar+M%2FT+Plus

_________________
ITS HIP TO BE SQUARE

[embed-flash(width,height)]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
avatar

Number of posts : 1482
Age : 37
Location : Helotes, TX
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 1:38 am

Holy shit. Only $300 a tire?

Now I wish I had just gone ahead and replaced my axles altogether, as I'm not sure the D30 could handle 40's even if the S35 could... Those would be perfect. Ah well. I'll wear out these 35" KM2's first and then see where I am.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
avatar

Number of posts : 3056
Age : 52
Location : Sugar Land, TX
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 8:01 am

texas2386 wrote:
Yeah, I was looking at the KM2's. I was also considering the pro comp X-terrains. Probably go with the KM2's though. Anyone know of any good wheels that aren't too expensive? I was considering running the stock wheels...

I posted this on jeepforum to someone else with a Sahara

Here's my advice... Lose the 18" wheels and buy some 16" Crager steelies. You can find those anywhere from $50 to $80 each. Here's the thing- you will pay more for tires with the 18" wheels- for example: Goodyear MTR's 33" with an 18" wheel would cost $339, and a 33" on 16" wheel would cost $259 (got those prices off Quadratec just for comparison). So right there is the price difference of buying Crager steelies. Now you mentioned buying spacers in order to run wider tires- add in another $200 for spacers. But with Cragers, you could get them with 4.5" back spacing and not need spacers- so another savings. Plus with the proper back spacing, you would be all set if you ever decide to go larger/wider tires in the future. So overall, it would cost you less money to change your wheels, than it would to keep your stock 18" wheels.

Another tip that will save you some more money. When you're ready to pull the trigger on new tires, go to Discount Tires and talk to the manager (don't talk to the sales guys, talk to the manager). Tell him you want a package deal on wheels and tires (FYI- Discount sells Cragers re-branded as "Unique"). I saved about $200 on the package price of mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://n2rock.com
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
avatar

Number of posts : 3056
Age : 52
Location : Sugar Land, TX
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 8:02 am

texas2386 wrote:
I will have to look at those...one other question....
what would the RC 2 1/2 lift do to the warranty? When I purchased my jeep they told me it was covered up to a 4" lift...just wanted to see if i would be ok with the RC 2 1/2 lift and 33" tires?

No warranty problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://n2rock.com
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
avatar

Number of posts : 601
Age : 32
Location : Brownsboro
Rig : yellow, six speed, vinyl, no carpet or rear seat
specs. : rubi takeoffs 2.5" RC spring lift
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 10:36 am

KMII's. Also, they wear very very well. I have nearly 36k on mine and you can't tell. also no warranty issues on this lift/tire combo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lemonparty.org
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
avatar

Number of posts : 2345
Age : 43
Location : San Antonio
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 3:10 pm

i enjoyed my ex- nittos very much. my new pc xtream mud t's have been pretty damn good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
avatar

Number of posts : 2701
Age : 47
Location : Mt. Belvieu, Texas
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 4:42 pm

How did budget boost and discos get to S35s/TJs/and not wheeling hard enough.... lol


If you buy the Cragers and don't like the cheesy red pin stripe around the edge I know a dude that will paint it black for you. And if you are the "nice wheel" type don't be pissed when you pull a "Ron Gilbert" and rockrash the shit out of them.... I had no ideal what I was doing when I bought my wheels.... do your homework.

I like my JKS discos.... and was hard headed just like everyone else until I got a good deal on a set. I will upgrade to the anti-rocks when cash flow allows.

IMO - take your time and decide what you want to do with your rig. Research, wheel it stock with some of these folks and look at their setups... I know a dude who wheels a stock Sahara like he stole it (Goldenboy) very capable vehicle.

Spend your money once........ I wish I had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
avatar

Number of posts : 3056
Age : 52
Location : Sugar Land, TX
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 5:12 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

If you buy the Cragers and don't like the cheesy red pin stripe around the edge I know a dude that will paint it black for you.

Yeah- and that guy does a really good job of covering up rock rash on the wheels too! Which reminds me- I'm gonna have to get together with "that guy" again. Seems my wheels took some hits at K-Rock... But the cheesy stripes are still gone.

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

And if you are the "nice wheel" type don't be pissed when you pull a "Ron Gilbert" and rockrash the shit out of them.... I had no ideal what I was doing when I bought my wheels.... do your homework.

Ah yes... a little RG demonstration of the proper way to rock rash new wheels is called for here:





Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

I like my JKS discos.... and was hard headed just like everyone else until I got a good deal on a set. I will upgrade to the anti-rocks when cash flow allows.

Yeah, I seem to recall it was those freezing temps at Trees, and my JKS's were on in minutes while you were freezing and fighting the stock links. IIRC that was when you decided you really wanted some JKS's

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

IMO - take your time and decide what you want to do with your rig. Research, wheel it stock with some of these folks and look at their setups... I know a dude who wheels a stock Sahara like he stole it (Goldenboy) very capable vehicle.

Spend your money once........ I wish I had.

Yeah, I've had to spend money a couple times to learn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://n2rock.com
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
avatar

Number of posts : 1482
Age : 37
Location : Helotes, TX
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 5:52 pm

N2rock wrote:
Ah yes... a little RG demonstration of the proper way to rock rash new wheels is called for here:
Where was that video taken? I want to go there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
avatar

Number of posts : 3056
Age : 52
Location : Sugar Land, TX
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 6:01 pm

Deacon wrote:
N2rock wrote:
Ah yes... a little RG demonstration of the proper way to rock rash new wheels is called for here:
Where was that video taken? I want to go there.

Trees
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://n2rock.com
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
avatar

Number of posts : 2701
Age : 47
Location : Mt. Belvieu, Texas
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 6:04 pm

N2rock wrote:

Ah yes... a little RG demonstration of the proper way to rock rash new wheels is called for here.

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

I like my JKS discos.... and was hard headed just like everyone else until I got a good deal on a set. I will upgrade to the anti-rocks when cash flow allows.

Yeah, I seem to recall it was those freezing temps at Trees, and my JKS's were on in minutes while you were freezing and fighting the stock links. IIRC that was when you decided you really wanted some JKS's

1st - my jeep made that rock it's b!tch!Cool

2nd It wasn't so much the cold rather than the freakin cacaburrs (sp?) I had those things where they shouldn't have been after that trip..... and I slept in the freakin Jeep!

Nothing a little spray paint won't fix.... I did have to go get it rebalanced,, lol!



Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert on Thu 10 Sep 2009, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
avatar

Number of posts : 524
Location : Spring, Tx.
Rig : Black '07 Unlimited X
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 6:56 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:


If you buy the Cragers and don't like the cheesy red pin stripe around the edge........

If you get the right ones, they dont have the cheesy stripe. (ask steve how I know)


Last edited by Hutch on Thu 10 Sep 2009, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
avatar

Number of posts : 3056
Age : 52
Location : Sugar Land, TX
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 7:01 pm

Hutch wrote:
Mr.RonGilbert wrote:


If you buy the Cragers and don't like the cheesy red pin stripe around the edge........

If you get the right ones, they dont have the cheest stripe. (ask steve how I know)

Ah hell... rub it in!!! Stupid Discount Tires screwing up my order
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://n2rock.com
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
avatar

Number of posts : 1161
Location : hempstead, tx
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Thu 10 Sep 2009, 10:10 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
How did budget boost and discos get to S35s/TJs/and not wheeling hard enough.... lol


I


A. go fuck a blender full of nails

B. drink a gallon of bleach

C. Go whine somewhere else about thread hi-jacks..............try here


























but in reality that was a bad hi-jack and done in a tech forum....by me........so i fixeded it for more of the d35 debate go here





http://www.myjeepforum.net/modified-tech-f2/d35-and-super-35-axles-pros-and-cons-t2195.htm

_________________
ITS HIP TO BE SQUARE

[embed-flash(width,height)]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
avatar

Number of posts : 601
Age : 32
Location : Brownsboro
Rig : yellow, six speed, vinyl, no carpet or rear seat
specs. : rubi takeoffs 2.5" RC spring lift
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 10:45 am

Hey I was with Mr. Ron Gilbert when he popped his offroad cherry. In fact Mr ron g, I remeber you nearly burning up the tranny by not putting it in 4lo. My how times have changed.

Mr RG has very good points. If you haven't wheeled it stock, I would suggest doing that several times. I wheeled for nearly a year stock while I thought about what I wanted my jeep to be. And I mean stock stock as in sra's!!! But when it finally came time to do a lift I got exactly what I want, i run rc 2.5 spring lift and rubi takeoffs, will upgrade to kmII 33x12.5x17's when these rubi tires wear out, if they ever will. If not they look good too.

But if you don't wheel stock you miss out on really getting to know what these things can do right out of the box and have a greater appreciation for what they can do modded. And if you ever want a great BLD speech, just ask, I live for giving that speech on their capabilities!

PS, N2 it is kind of funny, you know I am all about not getting a scratch on the paint, but I could care less about my plastic fenders and wheels and hardtop. I like the look of beat up wheels, of course that is on stock rubi wheels that I ddin't pay a lot for!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lemonparty.org
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
avatar

Number of posts : 3056
Age : 52
Location : Sugar Land, TX
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 11:26 am

Ben- you would probably cry if you had my rig. Rock rashed wheels, scratches on every body panel, deep scratches in the hardtop, dent in rear fender, all fenders scratched and gouged, skid plates beat to hell. lol!

Battle scars!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://n2rock.com
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
avatar

Number of posts : 2701
Age : 47
Location : Mt. Belvieu, Texas
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Fri 11 Sep 2009, 11:54 am

redneckhouston wrote:

A. go fuck a blender full of nails

B. drink a gallon of bleach

C. Go whine somewhere else about thread hi-jacks..............try here

I think I would actually consider A and B but C....... not so much
Back to top Go down
View user profile
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
avatar

Number of posts : 72
Age : 30
Location : College Station, TX
Rig : '09 Wrangler Sahara
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Sat 12 Sep 2009, 12:23 am

N2rock wrote:
texas2386 wrote:
Yeah, I was looking at the KM2's. I was also considering the pro comp X-terrains. Probably go with the KM2's though. Anyone know of any good wheels that aren't too expensive? I was considering running the stock wheels...

I posted this on jeepforum to someone else with a Sahara

Here's my advice... Lose the 18" wheels and buy some 16" Crager steelies. You can find those anywhere from $50 to $80 each. Here's the thing- you will pay more for tires with the 18" wheels- for example: Goodyear MTR's 33" with an 18" wheel would cost $339, and a 33" on 16" wheel would cost $259 (got those prices off Quadratec just for comparison). So right there is the price difference of buying Crager steelies. Now you mentioned buying spacers in order to run wider tires- add in another $200 for spacers. But with Cragers, you could get them with 4.5" back spacing and not need spacers- so another savings. Plus with the proper back spacing, you would be all set if you ever decide to go larger/wider tires in the future. So overall, it would cost you less money to change your wheels, than it would to keep your stock 18" wheels.

Another tip that will save you some more money. When you're ready to pull the trigger on new tires, go to Discount Tires and talk to the manager (don't talk to the sales guys, talk to the manager). Tell him you want a package deal on wheels and tires (FYI- Discount sells Cragers re-branded as "Unique"). I saved about $200 on the package price of mine.

Thanks a lot! I will def. go to Discount Tire, especially since I know one of the managers in San Antonio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
avatar

Number of posts : 72
Age : 30
Location : College Station, TX
Rig : '09 Wrangler Sahara
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Sat 12 Sep 2009, 12:27 am

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
IMO - take your time and decide what you want to do with your rig. Research, wheel it stock with some of these folks and look at their setups... I know a dude who wheels a stock Sahara like he stole it (Goldenboy) very capable vehicle.

Spend your money once........ I wish I had.

Yeah, I plan on waiting until at least December or January before I do anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
avatar

Number of posts : 1482
Age : 37
Location : Helotes, TX
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Sat 12 Sep 2009, 2:41 am

Why go with 16" Cragars instead of 15" or 17"? 16" tires are harder to come by and more expensive... 15" would be ideal (15x8), unless you're going huge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
avatar

Number of posts : 3056
Age : 52
Location : Sugar Land, TX
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Sat 12 Sep 2009, 9:49 am

Deacon wrote:
Why go with 16" Cragars instead of 15" or 17"? 16" tires are harder to come by and more expensive... 15" would be ideal (15x8), unless you're going huge.

WTF are you smoking! 16" is much easier to find than 17" and Cheaper than 17". They are every bit as easy to find as 15". The only truth in your statement is that the 15" is SLIGHTLY cheaper.

Back when I bought my KM2's- they had just come out. 17" KM2's were on national back order due to the fact that so man people rushed out and bought them up. And BFG wasn't even offering them in the 15" size yet. BFG did not rush to get 15" to the market because most car manufacturers had gone away from 15" size. BFG looked at what the manufacturers were doing (16, 17, and 18), and got those to market first. Obviously that was a smart decision seeing that the 17" was flying off the shelves... That was part of the reason that I switched to 16" wheels. I had 17" stock- I wanted KM2's, knew the 17" KM2''s were hard to find, and the 16" size was easy to find. Solution- switch to 16" and have my tires in a day.

15" rims on JK's are hit and miss. Most of them rub the caliper. The only way to know for sure if it is going to rub or not is to actually mount it up and see. And then if it rubs, you have to grind down the caliper. Not worth the hassle. And lets be for real here- the ONLY difference between a 15" and a 16" is you end up with 1/2" additional sidewall with a 15". That is hardly worth the hassle of possibly rubbing the caliper. 1/2" of added sidewall is never going to make any noticeable difference when wheeling.

Also keep in mind that we're talking about a JK here, not a TJ. JK's come stock with 32" tires, and you can fit up to a 33" with no lift (with some minor rubbing). We can get plenty of sidewall without running a 15" wheel
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://n2rock.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   

Back to top Go down
 
Budget Boost?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Hydro boost brake pressure question
» FAQ: Boost Bypass Valve/Boost Control Solenoid Questions (No Boost)
» In door recessed boost gauge for 95 Riviera.
» Cupholder boost jauge
» Write-Up: Installing Boost Gauge

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Modified Tech-
Jump to: