MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!

Go down 
+8
Deacon
akonius
jeff.lyon3
JK_JOE
N2rock
Maverick1701
CRUX
Mr.RonGilbert
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Empty
PostSubject: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009, 8:30 pm

I have wanted to add a set of ammo cans to the back of my Shrockworks bumper from the moment that I looked at it with the jerry cans mounted. I thought about going with the MK19 ammo cans but couldn't find any local. When I saw Hundy's thread on JKO about the 20mm ammo cans I knew that they would be perfect. Another reason that they are special to me is that I used to wash my clothes in one during the first Gulf war, we used those cans for damn near everything. Not to mention that the helicopter (AH1/Cobra) that I was a crewchief on shot 20mm rounds out the cannon hanging off the front.

20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! 042

Anyway..... enough of the history - I wanted a set of these bad boys hanging off the back to use as secure, waterproof storage.

Started with this:
A set of ammo cans from my buddy Hundy!
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA232513

Plenty of room for cans on the side without blocking the taillights (blocking taillights aggravates the cops... trust me on this one)
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA232515

Added the bottom part of the can mounts to the Shrock tire carrier diagonal bar.

The cool thing about the jerry can mounts is that they are two piece, if you take the jerry can attachment off a little "shelf" is left that you can attach just about anything to. My next project will be to make a mount for my little Honda generator... as long as it doesn't block the taillight.......
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA232516

Quick mock up to see where the holes needed to be drilled.
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA232518
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA232517

I remember Hundy saying that a jerry can fit just right in one of the ammo cans - which makes them perfect IMO... not only will they hold a jerry can but I will also be able to carry my recovery strap and tree saver while on the trail. Add the lid and it is waterproof. I will put a set of hasps on each one to secure whatever is inside.
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA232523

Got the holes marked and drilled, four holes and will use 3/8 x 1" bolts with washers and some thread locker to keep everything in place.
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA232520

Sent everything to paint for a flat black makeover. I used a wire wheel to clean up the cans, there were a few small spots of surface rust that just needed a tap with the wire wheel to be good to go. I will put several coats of paint on and then let them sit over night.
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA232533

Super easy mod and will give quite a bit of storage the install time was about 6.5 beers - longer if you count what I will drink between tonight and tomorrow when I get everything bolted on.

I will get some photos of everything finished tomorrow - might even wash the jeep.... probably not.... either way will get some pics up.
Back to top Go down
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009, 11:12 pm

Looks damn good Mr. RG! I toyed with the idea of a .50 cal mounted on my rear bumper, but decided my Heep had enough dingleberies hangging off it's ass end. Looks good on yours thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
Maverick1701
Jack Twist
Maverick1701

Number of posts : 910
Rig : 1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 6x6
specs. : ITS BIG!!!!!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeFri 23 Oct 2009, 11:51 pm

great idea MRG!!! plus the ammo cans make it look super badass!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009, 8:02 am

Awesome idea! And damn cool looking!
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009, 9:12 am

Very cool 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_cool

I wonder how many 12 packs or mini kegs fit in one of those 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009, 9:26 am

That is going to look awesome.
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009, 11:53 am

Love the JC's on the rear - looks real cool...and we're all about ramping up our rigs "cool factors"!
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009, 12:11 pm

Got it finished up this morning, still have a few rattles that I need to seek out and destroy but only a few. I like the versatility of having the option to carry my cans with some trail stuff, or dry storage that will be lockable once I get the hasps/locks put on.
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA242536

20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA242537

20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA242546

20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA242551

20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA242553

Storage options... you get the idea..
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA242539

And one of the main reasons is for tailgating.... the possibilities are endless I only had 6 beers but am sure that I can get a 12 pack in there - perfect:
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA242541

And for a little nostalgia.... a 20mm round (*disclaimer - for my BATF homies - it is a display round.... not live)
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA242552
Back to top Go down
Maverick1701
Jack Twist
Maverick1701

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009, 12:21 pm

awesome Mr Ron!!! It looks super sharp!! (especially the Shiner!)

also good choice on tires, cooper discoverer STTs do very well on and off road

have you had any problems with them?

Last edited by Maverick1701 on Sat 24 Oct 2009, 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009, 12:31 pm

Those suckers look badass closed. Very nice.
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009, 1:18 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

...And one of the main reasons is for tailgating.... the possibilities are endless I only had 6 beers but am sure that I can get a 12 pack in there - perfect:
20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! PA242541

I'm following you on the trail 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009, 2:24 pm

JK_JOE wrote:
I'm following you on the trail 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_biggrin

Hell ya!... It might be a little shook by the time it's ready to drink but what the hell!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009, 7:09 pm

Nice mod.
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009, 7:22 pm

zqx31 wrote:
Nice mod.

ummmmmm Introduce yourself man...didn't you see what happened to the last guy who failed to do so
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009, 2:21 pm

jeeperjennie wrote:
zqx31 wrote:
Nice mod.

ummmmmm Introduce yourself man...didn't you see what happened to the last guy who failed to do so

Wow...that was quick - I guess he's already gone! DOH!
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
SASQUATCH
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 12:02 am

That's friggin rugged looking. Where could one obtain these 20mm ammo cans?
Back to top Go down
Maverick1701
Jack Twist
Maverick1701

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 12:08 am

SASQUATCH wrote:
That's friggin rugged looking. Where could one obtain these 20mm ammo cans?

ebay, craigslist.....army/navy stores usually have good prices
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 12:26 am

Hundy from JKO..... he has or can get anything you want.

http://www.100dollarman.com/
Back to top Go down
Maverick1701
Jack Twist
Maverick1701

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 12:35 am

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

...anything?

also MRG do you have any body armor tips?
Back to top Go down
SASQUATCH
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 12:58 am

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

Oh that's right, remember the post now, cool thanks.
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 11:46 am

that is cool beans
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 3:52 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

[url=http://www.100dollarman.com/
http://www.100dollarman.com/[/quote[/url]]

RG that looks badass. Now you need a camera back there so you can see what your driving over when you back up. 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! 447798

I am going to assume that the 120mm ammo cans on his website are a typo for your 20mm cans. However I only saw those sold in pallets without lids.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeThu 12 Nov 2009, 8:46 pm

They are 20mm ammo cans.... 120mm cans would have to be on the back of a dump truck... that is what the M1A1 shoots out the main gun... and the same size as the larger mortars....big rounds the 120mm cans are 32 tall x 12 wide x 6 1/4 deep. In didn't see the 20mm cans listed on his site, you might shoot him an email. The ones on his site are the 120mm cans.... they are the long ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_120_mm_gun

I like the 20mm cans because that is what the little cannon on the front of my attack chopper shot....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M197_Gatling_gun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_mm_caliber

And Hundy can get them with lids.. most are only used once then sold off so they are in great condition.
Back to top Go down
SASQUATCH
Poster child
Poster child

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitimeFri 13 Nov 2009, 2:36 pm

Going to give him a call later today, could use one for stuff, should fit behind the rear seat which I'm considering removing anyway and doing something else back there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!   20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

20mm Ammo Cans Hanging Off the Back = Storage!!
Page 1 of 1