MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tire/Wheel input requested

Go down 
+5
MudHound
Uup4it
JK_JOE
xxXJohnny
jeff.lyon3
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Tire/Wheel input requested Empty
PostSubject: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 12:07 pm

Been doing a lot of mods to the jeep. Soon It will be time for new tires. Most come in 12.5 in width, will probably go with 12.5's

1. Can I put these on stock Rubicon rims? 7-8 inch width I believe

2. I know I will need spacers - $200.00

3. Alloy Rims - $600.00 - $700.00 and lighter than steel - 9 inch width

4. Steel Rims - $500.00 - $600.00 heavier/less expensive/possible to repair - 9 inch width

5. Tires - anywhere form $280.00 -$400.00 per tire.

This is all based on 17 inch rims. I know I can reduce cost by going with a smaller rim.

What are your experiences/thoughts/ideas?

I know there is not a perfect solution but would like input to help with my decision.

Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_cheers I put this here because it is my princess daughter's favorite.
Back to top Go down
xxXJohnny
Got No Life
Got No Life
xxXJohnny

Number of posts : 1052
Rig : 2010 Challenger
specs. : Nemesis package
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 1:23 pm

Yes you can put a 12.5 on a stock 7.5 rim I ran that way till a week ago
Spacers chech with fred

Steel wheels I know the common black soft 8's run 85 bucks

Tires your choice stay with radial don't go bias to hard to ballance
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 2:09 pm

My 2 cents:

1. Yes you can.

2. Yes you will. I got a set for $100, Thanks Cucuy.

3. I ran 17x9 alloys, work good. I may have a set for sale, still undecided.

4. If I were to run steelies, I would go with an 8" width.

5. Tires, go big, go knarly. I wish i would have gone bigger Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_sad .
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

Number of posts : 758
Rig : 07 2 door X Flamer 6 spd
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 3:00 pm

I kinda wish I had gone with a 16 inch rim, makes the tires look a little bigger...................no help I know, just my opionion.
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 3:14 pm

I most likely will not go with beadlocks. I understand it is better to run a narrower wheel for when you air down. what would be better 12.5 on an 8 or 9 inch wheel?

Go big, go knarly.....

I would like to go with 37's but for practicality I will probably go with 35's.

35's really should be regeared (I have 4:10's). I know if I get 37's I will want to regear, not to mention all the extra wear on brakes, suspension etc.

I know some guys go with 37's and 4:10's without a problem, but what about highway performance? I just don't think I would be happy with it. Then again, everytime you mod your jeep you wish you had gone bigger, taller etc.

Like I said in the first post, there is no perfect solution. Tire/Wheel input requested 12599

Joe, LMK if you sell the Alloys. What are they and got any pics?
Back to top Go down
MudHound
Got No Life
Got No Life
MudHound

Number of posts : 1323
Rig : 97 TJ
specs. : Part TJ, Part JK, Part CJ, Part K30.....The hell?
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010, 7:49 pm

i had no problems on the highway with 37s vs 35s with 4.10s even before i programed my JK.

My .02 cents on tires is go with the Irok radial, i had a great tread life with them and they work get in mud rocks san etc

but to each his own
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeMon 22 Feb 2010, 6:53 pm

Do you have automatic or manual

I have automatic, so here's my review.

35's with 4.10's is bearable. City driving, it is almost identical to running 32's. You accelerate away from stop lights a bit slower, but that is easily overcome by getting used to more skinny pedal.
On the highway (70mph)- cruise control is completely useless. It will steadily lose speed until it has dropped 5mph, then it will switch out of O/D and accelerate back to speed. Rinse & Repeat... O/D is another issue on its own- On completely flat highway, the O/D is fine. Add in ANY amount of incline, and you're forced to take it out of O/D. And highways in the hill country- forget about O/D completely! 37's with 4.10's will obviously make all those situations worse.

I'm running 5.13's now and am very happy. My mpg in the city is identical to what it was when I was running 4.10's. Highway mpg has dropped about 2mpg.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2010, 1:14 am

re-gear is a given for hwy driving. even with 4.88 & 35s the trans downshifts. not as bad since the AEV programmer, but the 3.8 really is underpowered.

soft 8s are probably the way to go. 4 delivered to my door were $292.00

if you can afford 37s and not regret it, go with 37s.
wish i'd had the $$ to do it. but glad i didnt b/c it would just be hell for me loading the baby in the jeep (being only 5'7")
Back to top Go down
tbone
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
tbone

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2010, 7:53 pm

I'm running 33 x 13.50 IROKs on 17" procomp wheels. Did not need spacers. Got wheels new for 93.00(5) a peice and 235.00(5) a tire deliver to my door.

I'm happy for now, but after these tires are gone. I will be swithing to 35's.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2010, 10:31 pm

I now where some 37's could be had for a possible deal hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire/Wheel input requested   Tire/Wheel input requested Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire/Wheel input requested
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Rolling Rubber-
Jump to: