MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Opinions on my front axle situation...?

Go down 
+7
redneckhouston
akonius
Mr.RonGilbert
Dutchboy101
TxCrawler
terrahawk
corey d
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corey d
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
corey d

Number of posts : 61
Rig : 2008 Jeep JK
specs. : No, i dont wear glasses.
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Opinions on my front axle situation...? Empty
PostSubject: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 12:05 pm

I want to get a new front axle. Im ready to get it, but some of the things i want do not work with the others. Ive made up mind that i want the Dynatrac Pro Rock 44. Yeah, i know, i should get a 60, but i just got new wheels and dont want to go through the bullshit and expense of getting another set (if it were soft 8s maybe). As im sure some know, the RCV shafts have interference issues with the Pro Steer HD ball joints. So, what should i do? Should i wait to see if somebody comes up with a fix(i dont want to. Could be months or longer.)? Should i say piss on it and just get the RCV and HD ball joints and hope for the best? Should i get the set up i want except instead of having both HD ball joints, just get the upper HD ball joints and get regular stock lower ball joints? Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_scratch

corey d
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 12:20 pm

The RCV's are nice, but I think I would just go with some chromo shafts..and maybe CTM u-joints and call it a day man. Just because that can happen now without the speculation of the "maybe" on the compatabilty of the RCV's.
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 1:37 pm

Are you set on a Dynatrac 44. Just run a standard rubi 44 and sleeve and gusset it, chromos and CTM or RCV's. Seems like you would be money ahead.

Just a though
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 1:49 pm

What happened with your stock axle?
Back to top Go down
corey d
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
corey d

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 2:18 pm

Dutchboy101 wrote:
What happened with your stock axle?

It has 37" tires hanging off the ends of it. I dont want to try to beef the D30 up and still have a weak pos.

corey d
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 6:52 pm

Sell me your wheels and tires..... On the cheap, of course.
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 8:45 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
Sell me your wheels and tires..... On the cheap, of course.

that's using your noggin!
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Mar 2010, 9:11 pm

Seriously though... (I would be interested in the wheels and tires... Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_twisted )

Gusset, chromos, sleeves and truss the 30..... then start saving up for whatever might be next.. I bet it lasts longer than you think.

I did that to mine and plan on hanging 37s off of it.... if it breaks, it breaks and I upgrade.

I do understand about the wheels/tires thing, you have some jack tied up in that....
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 12:33 am

why upgrade and leave 90% of the really shitty stuff there?..... the c's , knuckles and unit bearings are shit

bite the bullet, sell your wheels and get a real axle,.............listen to me now, or do it again later
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM
corey d
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
corey d

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 1:55 am

redneckhouston wrote:
why upgrade and leave 90% of the really shitty stuff there?..... the c's , knuckles and unit bearings are shit

bite the bullet, sell your wheels and get a real axle,.............listen to me now, or do it again later

I knew you were going to say that, but i just cant see getting new wheels again. I mean, i just got these wheels. I still think im going to go with the Pro Rock 44. Maybe in the future, i will get 60s.

corey d
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 2:18 am

you could always get a rock jock 60 with factory outers....then when you get sick of failed unit bearings and shitty steering knucles, have a shop put some deadenbear c's and knuckles on it and run 1 ton 8 lug outters
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 2:20 am

or currie's f9 with the factory outers would be big pimpin
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 10:00 am

redneckhouston wrote:
listen to me now, or do it again later

So much irony in this statement for me hahaha.
Back to top Go down
corey d
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
corey d

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Mar 2010, 3:27 pm

redneckhouston wrote:
or currie's f9 with the factory outers would be big pimpin

Im checking into this.

corey d
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 6:11 pm

this is a little late, but I just spoke with a rep at dynatrac and he said the issue is with the balljoints in stock housings and hadn't seen any issues with them in their prorock 44.

all in all with HD balljoints and RCVs with factory locker about $4950.00 + shipping

IIRC the rock jock D60 with stock knuckles runs about $5700.00. Thats only $750.00 more than the prorock 44 .

When the dynatrac rep told me the total price, I thought about the $750.00 diff for a D60 and decided the prorock was not the way for me to go.
Back to top Go down
corey d
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
corey d

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 9:52 pm

Im waiting on a Currie F9. I was looking at the Pro Rock 44 at first, but left it alone becuase of the RCV and HD BJ issues.

corey d
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010, 10:42 pm

It Is A Waste Of Money To Upgrade To A Dana 44.......If your going to wheel once a month or 4 times a month your going to WEAR out a dana 44.....The ball joints will be the first thing to go......ALL IT IS ....IS A GLORIFIED DANA 30. Same tubes, C's, Knuckles, Unit bearing, Brakes....Only thing beefier is the ring & pinion. It makes no sense to me for any one to spend 5000 dollars on a Dana 30 on steroids, especially if you can throw 6 or 7 hundred into the pot and get a 60. I should know, I built my 44 as beefy as they come and was light footed most of the time, worried about a ball joint, ring & pinion or locker all the time. Oh yea, replaced the ball joints in the 30 two times and the 44 two times too.

As a mater of fact, I've had my RCV axles replaced 3 times "once with 37's, two times with 39.5's" due to the cage inside the cv starting to mushroom. I went as far to dissemble the joint and found the problem myself. I then took the axle to a professional axle builder and he found more flaws in the design. Don't get me wrong, these are stronger than nails but, they do have a record growing that more people are starting to get the popping noise while turning full lock. Oops, got side tracked...........

If you can't afford a d60 then save save save until you can. YOU WONT REGRET IT.

Or get some Rocks

Hope this helps someone save building a 30 then a 44 then a 60.........By the time you build all three of them you'll have 10,000 in the 60.

Back to top Go down
TxRubiRig
Rancho lift lover
TxRubiRig

Number of posts : 1278
Rig : black '07 Rubicon
specs. : 4.5" Long Arm, 35 KM2's
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 10:43 am

Paul08Wrangler wrote:
As a mater of fact, I've had my RCV axles replaced 3 times "once with 37's, two times with 39.5's" due to the cage inside the cv starting to mushroom. I went as far to dissemble the joint and found the problem myself. I then took the axle to a professional axle builder and he found more flaws in the design. Don't get me wrong, these are stronger than nails but, they do have a record growing that more people are starting to get the popping noise while turning full lock. Oops, got side tracked..........

WOW, this is the first that I've heard...everything else that I've seen has been nothing but praises....hmmmm
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 11:19 am

TxRubiRig wrote:
Paul08Wrangler wrote:
As a mater of fact, I've had my RCV axles replaced 3 times "once with 37's, two times with 39.5's" due to the cage inside the cv starting to mushroom. I went as far to dissemble the joint and found the problem myself. I then took the axle to a professional axle builder and he found more flaws in the design. Don't get me wrong, these are stronger than nails but, they do have a record growing that more people are starting to get the popping noise while turning full lock. Oops, got side tracked..........

WOW, this is the first that I've heard...everything else that I've seen has been nothing but praises....hmmmm

Paul actually uses / abuses his rig though lol, a lot of the others not so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 12:24 pm

Look rcv's up on other forums, othwe people have had same problem
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 5:51 pm

corey d wrote:
HD BJ issues.
Sounds like a personal problem...
Back to top Go down
corey d
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
corey d

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 6:10 pm

Deacon wrote:
corey d wrote:
HD BJ issues.
Sounds like a personal problem...

It does sound like that, dont it.... Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_lol

corey d
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 8:41 pm

Fifth post down on the first page,,,,,,,,,,start reading. Many problems with them from stock to all out beating the piss out of them.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855207

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 12:24 am

Rode with a guy at Brazos Valley Off Road today that has a dana 60 in front with RCV axles in it that were popping like crazy. Already had one replaced by RCV and fixing to have the other one replaced. Was told by Sean at RCV Performance "IF the popping noise was bothering him they would replace them!" Shocked Unbelievable.

Back to top Go down
smartjk
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
smartjk

Number of posts : 21
Rig : JK Jeep 07
specs. : Pro Comp 17x9 rock crawlers BFG KM 2 285/70r17 Rusty's Offroad 2'' Springs (3.25" actual) Skyjacker shocks. JKS Rear Track Bar.
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitimeMon 03 May 2010, 11:31 pm

Paul08wrangler

in your final opinion.... what 60 would you say?

I was gonna upgrade my d30. but just gonna regear, and gussets at most. then save up for a 60. I was thinking upgrading to a 60 upfront.... and rebuilding the stock rear 44, shafts, diff.... etc.

what would up suggest? (i like the 60 trailseries from Dynatrac...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on my front axle situation...?   Opinions on my front axle situation...? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on my front axle situation...?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next