MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Winch Plate repair

Go down 
AuthorMessage
4x4x4
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
4x4x4

Number of posts : 86
Rig : 2009 JK Unlimited
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Winch Plate repair Empty
PostSubject: Winch Plate repair   Winch Plate repair Icon_minitimeWed 31 Mar 2010, 11:30 pm

Well I didn't build my winch plate strong enough. (My mistake)I had my Jeep buried in a tough spot out on the trail. I put the winch into action and broke one of the welds and bent the plate. I stopped the pull before anything bad happened but thought I might share my experience so someone else can build a better mousetrap. Back to the drawing board for some reinforcement. I thought others might want to see what I have done to copy or improve. I know it won't happen again now that I beefed it up all the way around. The plate is 1/4" thick so it wasn't too light but the span was too much for it without better support. This is with a stock cutout bumper. I will build a bumper later and will probably build the back one before the front. This serves the purpose for now and I would rather get the back spare of the gate.
Here is where I was trying to keep the front end up on the bank but the mud just wasn't cooperating. As soon as I got past the ledge here it fell down into the bottomless pit.
Winch Plate repair 100_1695
Stuck pretty good! I should have just pulled back off but you know....
Winch Plate repair 100_1696
Here you can see the supports on the bottom.
Winch Plate repair Winchplate1
Winch Plate repair Winchplate2-1
Winch Plate repair Superwinch
Back to top Go down

Winch Plate repair
Page 1 of 1