MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar

Go down 
+9
jkx0778
akonius
Uup4it
rohantmh
Deacon
Renee10
xxXJohnny
jeff.lyon3
Mr.RonGilbert
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Empty
PostSubject: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 12:03 am

After painting my new (to me) half doors and hanging them on the Jeep I noticed that the paint on the doors was "blacker" than the paint on the jeep. The paint was matched via the paint code and was PPG so I wasn't worried about a different mix. Geo showed me how to use a clay bar - which I feel like a complete dumbass not knowing the magic of those things before. I used some Rustoleum wax and tar remover as lubrication and took off a bunch of overspray that was on the hood after some rock rash repair to the lower rocker (before sliders... duh)

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar P4163214

The overspray bothered me but I never followed up on how to get rid of it. After a good rub down with the clay bar the paint was as smooth as glass. I followed it up with some Meguire's cleaner wax. Today I went to Autozone and picked up a clay bar to use on my tow rig and found a product made by Turtle Wax called "Black Box"

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Pop_2_1_4_28_1

From Turtle Wax:
"An all-in-one solution to one of the most frequently asked questions in car care: What should I use on my black car? The Black Box is a unique blend of newly developed products and the process gives the deepest, wettest black shine."

The Black Box kit contains a bottle of cleaner, a bottle of Carnauba wax, and two bottles of spray detailer -- all tinted with black pigment, sort of like shoe polish for your car -- plus 2 foam applicator pads. You'll also need some microfiber towels. Application is easy: Rub on the cleaner with a foam applicator, allow it to dry, spray with the detailer and rub off with a towel, then repeat the process with the wax.

The instructions say to use gloves because everything turns black and I blew that off.... it really does turn everything black so don't wear your favorite shirt 😆 It came off my hands easy enough with a little scrubbing and the microfiber towel that was blue is now black, it is in the washing machine so we will see how it turns out. The kit does not come with a microfiber towel so if you don't have one (or several) pick some up.

Carnauba wax usually requires some serious elbow grease, but the spray-on detailer makes removal as easy enough. I finished it with some Meguire's NXT 2.0

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar P84718b

I was really amazed at how easy this stuff was to use as well this stuff worked, the paint looks brand new.

You can see in this photo that the doors were darker than the paint on the front panel.

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar P4163230

You can see that the paint on the front panel was hazy and dull, after the cleaning and waxing they are deep black, almost wet looking. You can see the clouds in the sky in the hood's reflection.

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar P4173248

Once we wet sand, compound and polish the new paint on the doors they should look just as good if not better due to a better paint job than the rest of the heap.

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar 017

We used some thinner on the Xenon flares (just a little bit on a rag) and it really cleaned them up, there was some funk on all four fenders. Once they were clean I used the same kit on them and they are almost as black as the rest of the jeep. They were black but a dull black vs gloss black, I thought about painting them but figured they would get scratched up so it would be a waste of time, now I know how to make them look damn good with little effort.

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar P4173246

I decided to do the same thing on my F250 and am about 3/4 through. I will finish it tomorrow and get some pics. That thing has been neglected since I bought the JK, it has been quite some time since it has had a good wax job and I have never used the clay bar on it. There was a bunch of crap on the paint and it came right off with the clay bar, if you don't have one of these dudes pick one up. There is a kit with a microfiber towel, two clay bars, some spray detailer, a little bottle of cleaner wax and a little black box to store the clay. If you don't want the kit you can also just get the clay. I used some drinking water (my water is hard and spots real bad) with a little dishwashing soap to degrease the surface and keep everything slick.

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar P84694z or Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar P93569z

From Meguire's:
"Removing above surface bonded contaminants and restoring a smooth surface to your paint finish is easily accomplished by using Meguiar’s®️ Smooth Surface®️ Clay Kit. Our non-abrasive clay bar safely, easily and instantly removes bonded contaminants as you rub it across the surface of your car using a mist & wipe product, like Meguiar’s Quik Detailer®️ as a lubricant. Meguiar’s Smooth Surface Clay Kit contains everything you need to create a smooth surface! Clay Kit includes: two 50 gram clay bars, individually wrapped & in a moisture-seal case, Quik Detailer for use as a clay lubricant, Cleaner Wax sample & Meguiar’s Supreme Shine®️ Microfiber Towel."

I know it's a Jeep, and it does stay dirty most of the time - nice to give the paint some TLC once and a while, I forgot how good it can look when nice and clean.
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 12:22 am

That looks nice. I like the half door look.

You can really see the difference after all the work on the body.

Nice job!!
Back to top Go down
xxXJohnny
Got No Life
Got No Life
xxXJohnny

Number of posts : 1052
Rig : 2010 Challenger
specs. : Nemesis package
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 5:45 am

Yeah nicedoors show off
But seriously good job and by chance do they make those kits in other collors?
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 11:25 am

Very nice,

I need to do some work on mine, I noticed that last time I waxed it it had overspray and needs a clay job. Wish I could get my son to do it for me. Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 12:26 pm

Hmmm...I wonder if any of this stuff would help get rid of the ranch pinstriping (all the lines left by branches and such)...
Back to top Go down
rohantmh
Poster child
Poster child
rohantmh

Number of posts : 243
Rig : 2008 X BOB
specs. : 2dr 6 speed
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 4:13 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
After painting my new (to me) half doors and hanging them on the Jeep I noticed that the paint on the doors was "blacker" than the paint on the jeep. The paint was matched via the paint code and was PPG so I wasn't worried about a different mix. Geo showed me how to use a clay bar - which I feel like a complete dumbass not knowing the magic of those things before. I used some Rustoleum wax and tar remover as lubrication and took off a bunch of overspray that was on the hood after some rock rash repair to the lower rocker (before sliders... duh)

Looks good Ron, guess I'm a member of that same "dumbass" club. I have seen clay bars in auto parts stores, but never knew how to use them. Really cleaned up nice! As a member of the "Black Jeep Society" I gotta get me some of that Black Box. Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_rr
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

Number of posts : 758
Rig : 07 2 door X Flamer 6 spd
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010, 7:57 pm

MrRon, is there anything I should worry about when using such a clay bar? What I am getting at is, I did not know this was a DIY kinda project, was going to have a shop do it for me and was curious how easy it was. I'm a little escared to mess with the clay bar until I hear more feedback.

Jeep looks good, even with the half doors Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_tongue !
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 8:42 pm

Nice Ron! Will have to try that out when I get my junk back...Like you said, every now and then, doing a "Jody" on a Jeep (as I like to refer to it) is cool! That, for those who don't know, is cleaning the Jeep so well you can eat off it!

guess you have to be careful with those clay bars around vinyl logos! Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 10:49 am

Stacy, just make sure to wash your jeep really well before doing it. I used to use Mothers clay bar kit on my Black F150. Damn it was alot of work on that big ass truck ! someday I'll get my jeep clean enough to do it I guess.
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 12:41 pm

jkx0778 wrote:
Stacy, just make sure to wash your jeep really well before doing it. I used to use Mothers clay bar kit on my Black F150. Damn it was alot of work on that big ass truck ! someday I'll get my jeep clean enough to do it I guess.

Thanks Richard. I'm gonna give this a try.
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Number of posts : 697
Rig : 2010 JK unlimited
specs. : changing daily...
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 1:05 pm

The clay bar works well on white vehicles also. If you've had it for a while and you think its white, clay bar it and I promise it'll fawkin blind you!

Mr Ron, thanks for finding that wax and polish. as soon as I get my door fixed, I'm gonna use that stuff every time I wash it... which aint often.
Back to top Go down
DangerMouse
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
DangerMouse

Number of posts : 666
Rig : 2005 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
specs. : Pro Comp lift, soft 8 wheels, 33x13.5x15 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 1:32 pm

People washing and waxing Jeeps? Get a minivan!!!!! Thats a jab at Stacy and her minivan-powered Jeep Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_razz Jeeps are meant to be dirty all the time Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
GULFCOAST PIRATE PRINCESS
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

Number of posts : 454
Rig : 1994 XJ Cherokee Laredo
specs. : Stock for now... :-(
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 2:19 pm

DangerMouse wrote:
People washing and waxing Jeeps? Get a minivan!!!!! Thats a jab at Stacy and her minivan-powered Jeep Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_razz Jeeps are meant to be dirty all the time Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_twisted

This is very true unless you are anal about dirt... LOL... Which I can be to an extent... lol.... Wait I'm not sure if that was a good thing to admit...
Back to top Go down
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 3:45 pm

DangerMouse wrote:

"Minivan this"! Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar 560490 JK. Not everything that is dirty happens on the "outside" of the jeep............I'll let everyone translate that one on their own Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar 207119 Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar 69144
Back to top Go down
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet

Number of posts : 454
Rig : 1994 XJ Cherokee Laredo
specs. : Stock for now... :-(
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 3:48 pm

"Minivan this"! Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar 560490 JK. Not everything that is dirty happens on the "outside" of the jeep............I'll let everyone translate that one on their own Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar 207119 Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar 69144[/quote]

AMEN TO THAT!!! HE HE HE
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 7:28 pm

uup4it wrote:
MrRon, is there anything I should worry about when using such a clay bar? What I am getting at is, I did not know this was a DIY kinda project, was going to have a shop do it for me and was curious how easy it was. I'm a little escared to mess with the clay bar until I hear more feedback.

Jeep looks good, even with the half doors Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_tongue !

I am far from the right person to be giving advice on that stuff. Redneckhouston showed me how to use it. I used a little dishwashing soap in a water bottle with a hole poked on top so I could keep the surface wet and then followed it up with a clean microfiber towel and it worked great. The Meguires kit has instructions and everything you need. The detail spray is a little pricy and the soap and water work just as good in my limited experience with it.

I have not went all Jody on the heap in a long time, it's kinda like giving the dog a bath. It's a waste of time but not a bad idea...... Give it a little love now and again.
Back to top Go down
toddandshari'sjk
Poster child
Poster child
toddandshari'sjk

Number of posts : 218
Rig : '08 JK Unlimited
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 8:44 pm

Man those halfdoors look awesome!! LUCKY!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar   Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turtle Wax Black Box for Black Paint and Clay Bar
Page 1 of 1