MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

decision making help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jeetyet
Poster child
Poster child
jeetyet

Number of posts : 360
Rig : 91 xj
specs. : daily drivin slow turd
Registration date : 2010-01-21

decision making help Empty
PostSubject: decision making help   decision making help Icon_minitimeWed 05 May 2010, 9:11 am

my engine is starting to smoke on start up and i can feel the power slightly decreasing. Ive been throwing around the idea of building a 4.6 stroker since i have the 258 crank and rods here. It will still prob run me close to 1000 to build but then would have to worry about the aw4. On the other hand, I know a junkyard on north shepard that will sell me a complete running 5.3 vortec with low miles for 500 bucks. You hear it run, they pull it out, and you get the puter and harness for that price. then around 300 extra bucks to get the harness weeded thru and computer retuned. If i went that route, id use a turbo 350 trans and a drivers drop 241 out of a 88-98 ifs chevy truck. They chevy swap will prob run me 2-300 more but would it be worth it for the extra power?
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: decision making help   decision making help Icon_minitimeWed 05 May 2010, 1:00 pm

Going by your sig, since its a 91 XJ. It would be a toss up. You have the HO 4.0 and the 23 spline AW4. If it was pre '91 i would go V-8.

I would not worry about the AW4 it is a fairly stout transmission capable of the power of the stroker. It may need to be freshened up some, but not a concern.

I know you are in the middle of race season, so is down time going to be a concern? If so, which way would get you up and going quicker. Or are you going to do this after the season?

Do you see yourself going for more HP in the future, then I would go 5.3, they are easy and cheap to get some extra ponies out of..

just some points to ponder...
Back to top Go down
TxCrawler
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
TxCrawler

Number of posts : 491
Rig : 98 TJ
specs. : Under Construction
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: decision making help   decision making help Icon_minitimeWed 05 May 2010, 1:10 pm

Oh, and where is the place that will sell you a complete 5.3 for $500? I have a 4 banger and will be replacing it at some point.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: decision making help   decision making help Icon_minitimeWed 05 May 2010, 1:48 pm

TxCrawler wrote:
Oh, and where is the place that will sell you a complete 5.3 for $500? I have a 4 banger and will be replacing it at some point.

I can get you a 4.0 cheap. It has a hole in the crank case, but nothing a little duct tape won't fix. decision making help 251705
Back to top Go down
jeetyet
Poster child
Poster child
jeetyet

Number of posts : 360
Rig : 91 xj
specs. : daily drivin slow turd
Registration date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: decision making help   decision making help Icon_minitimeWed 05 May 2010, 4:48 pm

place on shepard. as soon as i get a name, ill post up. the po (for some idiotic reason) swapped in a 21 spline aw4 with 231. im thinking this jeep was originaly 2wd
and it will be at the end of the season.

and lmao at jody
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: decision making help   decision making help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

decision making help
Page 1 of 1