MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saving for an engine swap. Need your input

Go down 
+15
JK_JOE
Deacon
Tvernon
veteran08
roadkill
shawn
paramedac
potlickinpirate
xxXJohnny
jmd4x4
GULF COAST PIRATE
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
jkx0778
DangerMouse
r_unda
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 9:43 pm

OK I think I have everything I need; probably more since I decided to upgrade a few things. I just need to buy the basic things now, like oil and antifreeze.

Now, do I need freon? Are we messing with the A/C lines? My guess is that yes.

What about the steering fluid? Do I need some? I think we can move the pump out of the way without disconnecting the lines.

Regarding the engine oil: I was reading that during the first run it's a good idea to run the engine until it reaches its normal running temp and then drain the oil, fill it back up and run it for 500 miles and drain it again. Is this right? it sounds right to me but what's your take or experience?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 8:27 am

The engine rebuilder may have a specific break in procedure you must adhere to in order to make the warranty valid. I don't remember draining the oil after breaking in the engine for the first 30 minutes. I usually ran it for a few hundred miles before I did that. Your cam and other moving parts will have assembly lube on them which is necessary to get things broken in and seated correctly. Draining it too quickly may disperse that from the oil. Let's see what Randy has to say. I would defer to his judgment.

Tim
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 8:54 pm

And the 4 Angry Little Squirrels are here!! Very Happy

Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 DSCF2545
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov 2010, 3:35 pm

Just got an email from HPA Motorsports, they guys doing the TDI conversion.

Complete conversions for TJ/YJ AX-5/AX-15 are priced as follows:

1.9L PD TDI engine with ECU and harness $ 6,999
+ peripherals(AC, radiator, etc) $ 1,000
Stage 1 hardware package $ 2,599
Stage 2 AWIC upgrade $ 1,100
60 hours installation labour $ 5,700
Package discount ($ 1,399)
TOTAL $15,999

Now that’s a lot of money! I am glad I am keeping my little 4cyl! Which we should be installing it on the 27th if everything goes right
Back to top Go down
DangerMouse
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
DangerMouse

Number of posts : 666
Rig : 2005 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
specs. : Pro Comp lift, soft 8 wheels, 33x13.5x15 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov 2010, 3:38 pm

$15999?!?!?!?!?! You could almost do a HEMI swap for that price.
Back to top Go down
outcast
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
outcast

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov 2010, 7:19 pm

That's 800 lapdances. At full price.
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 20 Nov 2010, 2:39 am

OK lapdance guy...how many miles would you have to drive the oil burner to make it pay for itself? If the squirrels got 15mpg and the oil inspired squirrels got 20 mpg.....And fuel was $3.00 / gal ( for easy figuring) ...5 mpg "free" or $.75 "free" for every gal.
$16,000 /$3.00 = 5,333.33(cost of engine in gallons) wholly shit its to late to think this much....and nobody asked... another self inflicted wound.... x4(extra 25%"free")= 21333.32 total gallons burned x 20 (mpg) = 426,666.4miles to make it pay for itself...

correct me if my math is wrong..... even with that German engineered powerplant, more than it is worth....by the time it pays for itself it will be worn out.
confused
Back to top Go down
roadkill
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
roadkill

Number of posts : 97
Rig : 06 LJ Rubi
specs. : small lift, overline fenders and 35s
Registration date : 2010-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2010, 10:14 am

but if it ran on bio diesel and you made your own fuel....
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Nov 2010, 11:27 am

How's that new engine?
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Nov 2010, 12:03 pm

Engine is running great! It definitely has some more power compare to the old tired one but I haven’t really pushed it so we will see. Manual says 800 miles for brake in. The only issue I have is that I went with new motor mounts with poly bushings and you can feel every single vibration. I might have to buy the soft rubber bushings.

Thanks again Randy for all the help!

Here are the pics we took.
https://s862.photobucket.com/albums/ab189/rfub83/Engine%20swap/
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Nov 2010, 9:35 pm

Wow, that's awesome, how long did it take you guys?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Nov 2010, 10:31 pm

Renee10 wrote:
Wow, that's awesome, how long did it take you guys?

I think it took us about 9-10 hours. This is taking a few trips to Lowes, lunch break, pizza break. I did started stripping the old engine and installed the parts to the new long block a few days in advance during my free time. I think that saved us a lot of time. Overall it went really smooth.
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Nov 2010, 4:12 pm

Just an article from JP magazine: Top 10 Dumbest Jeep Engine Swaps
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm

I disagree with some of his opinions, however he does make some sence. I still think a GM 6.2 is a good candidate. It weighs the same as a big block, one power wire to make it run, and has a common GM bell housing for multiple transmission choices. It is no power house, but it would be very spunky pulling a light Jeep.

If I only had some money.....hmmm....

One of my friends put the "bread truck" 4bt into an old Dodge crewcab 4x4 truck. It gets excellent mileage (even with 37s), pulls like a mule, and sounds uber cool. The only drawback that I saw is that there is no way to drink a cup of coffee in that monster when it is idling. It shakes more than I do.

Over the years I have drooled over some of the "repowers" I have read about. One day it finally dawned on me that these folks are using what is lying around. They don't actually dream of a big block VWbug...They have the bug, and an old pickup sitting there. I am sure some plan from the begining, but I know some of this creativity is spawned by cold Lone Star and maybe even a dare.......I bet you can't put the engine from that tractor in that Jeep and make it work...

Sorry to vent in your thread Raul, just food for thought.

When I saw the post, my mind went 3cyl Geo engine, Twin motocycle engines, a Prius hybrid powered Jeep. See I can come up with worse transplants than JP did.
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Nov 2010, 11:27 pm

potlickinpirate wrote:
Sorry to vent in your thread Raul, just food for thought.
No reason to be sorry, I posted the link to hear you guys opinions/comments since as you already know I am just learning.

potlickinpirate wrote:
...Prius hybrid powered Jeep. See I can come up with worse transplants than JP did.
Wasn't jeep going to come out with a hybrid wrangler? I think I saw that on a magazine somewhere, I might be wrong.
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm

Here are some similar articles from the one I read a while back

http://www.jeepev.net/

http://www.ridelust.com/jeep-ev-the-electric-hybrid-wrangler-prototype/
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Nov 2010, 11:50 pm

A gasoline engine is about 20% efficient, loosing the remainder to waste, i.e. heat out of the exhaust and radiator. A diesel engine is 85-90% efficient. These numbers are based on btus available from the fuel.

If the clowns in Detroit ever remember this and produce a Diesel Hybrid, they will really hit the big bingo.

The whole Hybrid thing is screwed up. My money helps you buy your car, and most of the folks driving these cars cannot aford the battery in their own car....the electric motor is even more pricey. And for all of the tree huggers out there what the hell do we do with the old batteries? Recycling adds another expence.

If people compare the economy of ....say ...a diesel VW for example. MPG is slightly less, but with the longevity and the longterm effect on the environment......dare I say......THE Oilburner is greener than a Hybrid!!

rant

Damn I did it again.....

In my opinion we would be much better with a diesel wrangler than a hybrid. Old diesel technology made smoke, and some folks won't let it go.
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 01 Dec 2010, 9:43 am

Randy,

I couldn't agree with you more. A diesel hybrid would bring the smack down on the gas hybrid offerings. I saw something a while back that VW was experimenting with one and was achieving 100+mpg. The diesel VW is a great example of what traditional diesel technology can do on its own. If any of you have owned a TDI VW, you know what I mean. My last TDI was a 2006 Jetta w/5spd and I could run it at 45mpg all day long without babying it. I would regularly go 700 miles on a tank and then refill it with 15 gallons of diesel. That's not too shabby especially since I would cruise at 75+mph.

Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 01 Dec 2010, 8:47 pm

That would be the SHIT!!!!! I would tell my wife you're getting a hybrid at it's going to be diesel and you're going to like it! I wonder how that would be on the trail, can you imagine watching a jeep crawling up out of creek bottom and all you hear is the tires rubbing on the rocks..... I think my nipples just got hard! I think it would be the ultimate build! Dana 60's, 44's, 5:36's, long arm kit, rubicon transfer case and automatic so you can use the rubi-crawl doubler.
Back to top Go down
DangerMouse
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
DangerMouse

Number of posts : 666
Rig : 2005 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
specs. : Pro Comp lift, soft 8 wheels, 33x13.5x15 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 01 Dec 2010, 9:09 pm

lonestar rubi wrote:
I think my nipples just got hard!

I just threw up in my mouth No
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 01 Dec 2010, 9:12 pm

hah belly
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 01 Dec 2010, 10:11 pm

That's it!!!! just got too graphic! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saving for an engine swap. Need your input   Saving for an engine swap. Need your input - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saving for an engine swap. Need your input
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4