MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bushing replacement

Go down 
+3
GULF COAST PIRATE
Dutchboy101
Skipwingo07
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Skipwingo07
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Skipwingo07

Number of posts : 27
Rig : 1997 Jeep TJ
specs. : 3.5 inch lift, 33" tires, 4.56 rear ends Eaton E lockers
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Bushing replacement Empty
PostSubject: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul 2010, 5:38 pm

I havnt TOTALLY checked the forums for a write up on here BUT I dare say ALL the bushings on my Jeep need to be replaced. I have about an inch to an inch and a half of play on my front and rear control arms that I see and whatever else I cant see.

Here is my question...How difficult is it to replace these bushings? Im pretty damn good with tools and know enough to fix things myself. Can I do this job at home? Do I need any special tools i.e. a press of some kind? Should I just take it in and have a shop do it, which I hate to do cause I like to do my work. If I fix it and it works I learned. If I attempt to fix it and I fail I still learned. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul 2010, 8:01 pm

I know my bushings on my Full Traction CA's are easy enough to change out.
Not sure what bushings your control arms have? If they are like stock bushings, they are going to be a bitch to change.

You might want to post a picture and let us know what control arms you have.
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Number of posts : 697
Rig : 2010 JK unlimited
specs. : changing daily...
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 9:26 am

Get yourself one of these: http://www.haynes.com/ for your Jeep. They're pretty thorough and extremely helpful.

Or you could just do what I do and say Fawk the instructions and dive right in and learn as you go. Bushing replacement Kopfschuettel
Back to top Go down
GULFCOAST PIRATE PRINCESS
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULFCOAST PIRATE PRINCESS

Number of posts : 454
Rig : 1994 XJ Cherokee Laredo
specs. : Stock for now... :-(
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeThu 29 Jul 2010, 9:40 am

Don't listen to GCP on this one hun... LOL... That's what gets him in trouble alot is not following instructions... he he he he
Back to top Go down
Skipwingo07
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Skipwingo07

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeMon 02 Aug 2010, 12:34 am

I've got a Haynes manual....somewhere. I was looking this weekend and saw that I have more work to do than JUST bushings. My lower control arm is mangled pretty good and (I dont know what its called) the little piece thats welded to the lower control arm braket that allows you to adjust the camber? caster? is mangled as well. SOOooo, looks like Im either gonna have to find a way to bend it back OR grind it off and replace it (the grinding off and replacing sounds better since I dont wanna heat the metal up and run the risk of the metal softening up. I'll welcome any ideas and or comments on how to get this fixed right.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeMon 02 Aug 2010, 10:14 am

i think i'm going to go with the poly perf HD lower control arm mounts.
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlue
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
IntenseBlue

Number of posts : 97
Rig : 99 TJ Sport
specs. : I6
Registration date : 2008-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeMon 02 Aug 2010, 4:47 pm

yes pictures of your bushings would help....but im sure all you need is a bench vise, a little dish soap, and a BFH!(Big Hammer). Who needs camber adjusters? Bushing replacement Icon_lol Grinder sounds like it would work just fine.
Back to top Go down
Skipwingo07
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Skipwingo07

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010, 6:00 pm

Ok here are the pics of the lower control arm brackets and possible other issues. Sorry it took so long

Bent lower contol arm bracket. Passenger side

Bushing replacement 063

Bushing replacement 066

The good control arm bracket. Drivers side.

Bushing replacement 065

My ultimate question is attempt to fix the bracket and replace the bushings or find the bracket itself and weld a new bracke on and replace the bushings. Im gonna replace the tie rod ends eventually and from my trip to Ft Hood and back down to corpus I wore my front tires down considerably. So an alignment is definetly needed.

Just looking for some advice on which would be my best option on how to fix this.
Back to top Go down
Skipwingo07
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Skipwingo07

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010, 8:00 pm

Ok so in a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious) I decided to check Quadratec for brackets. I can get those and OEM bushings to fix my brackets. Now my next question is anyone in the Corpus/Portland area have a grinder and welder to help me out with my endeavour? I would drive it wherever or to whoever has a welder HOWEVER my alignment is out of wack. Like I said above the drive from Ft Hood back to Corpus there was considerable tire wear. SO, I need to fix this issue. I have tools, I dont have a grinder or welder.
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Number of posts : 697
Rig : 2010 JK unlimited
specs. : changing daily...
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010, 1:58 am

I have a grinder, no welder as of yet... but I'll gladly help in any way.
Back to top Go down
Skipwingo07
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Skipwingo07

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010, 7:28 am

I still need to get my parts at I need. If I didnt have to fix my transmission that I blew up on the 4th o July then Id prolly have enough savings to get a welder. Everytime I tell myself I dont have a reason to get a welder one presents itself.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

Number of posts : 300
Rig : 2007 JK
specs. : ------->
Registration date : 2010-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010, 10:39 am

When do all of your parts come in man?
Back to top Go down
Skipwingo07
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Skipwingo07

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitimeWed 11 Aug 2010, 10:44 am

Havnt ordered anything as of yet. waiting a couple of days until I get paid cause losing my tranny set me back to the point that im eating stolen ramen cause I cant afford the 11 cents to buy a pack LOL.

Right now just getting opinions on th best way, easiest way, and if there might be anyone interested in helping me with this.

I'll prolly order parts in a couple of days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bushing replacement   Bushing replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bushing replacement
Page 1 of 1