MyJEEPforum.com

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

Number of posts : 105
Rig : 2008 4Dr Rubicon Auto
specs. : Dick Cepeck Crusher Tires and Wheels, 5.38 Gears, Bomb Shell kit and C-gussets, Tom Woods 1350 drive shafts
Registration date : 2010-05-14

PostSubject: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:46 pm

Well, next project now.... I am ready to build a mount for my Waren XD9000i Winch. I am intending to knoch the front bumper, and mount so the Fairlead is between the fog lights. Kinda a hidden winch look, and won't block air to the radiator. If anyone has any pic to share on how to mount, would be of considerable help. Meanwhile,,, here are my thoughts... and the pic's of what and where.
The Winch:

The front with the bumper off.

The previous owner had drilled these holes. They just go thru the outer side - on both frame rails. What I am thinking (almost hurt myself) is to drill all the way thru, enlarge to maybe 1", slide a sleeve into it (and it is drilled with a 1/2" or slightly bigger hole) and weld in place on both sides. Then I can run a " Gr.8 bolt thru the frame. On the inside there is a bracket that goes down to the wimpy cross brace - above pic, wiring harness is laying in it right now (protects the front sway bar disconnect?) - I will need to use a spacer to come out past it, then build my cradle from there. Lookin' to have the top of the winch no higher than the bottom of the slots in the front grill. Lower IF it looks feasible, and/or bumper mods/fairlead/whatever else - will allow. Also expect to have a support arm attach to the inner bumper mounting bolts (actually - the studs on the tow hook yoke/bracket). I also plan on beefing up the front bumper sub frame, including the 2 crush cans that stick out that are behind the 2 knobs protruding from the plastic cover. Am also wanting to mount 2 receiver hitches just under the frame rails, may have to knoch the bottom of the plastic skin there also. Back to the winch mounting plate - 3/8 maybe on the "down" parts/sides, and weld " across? Might weld or bolt angle iron across the bottom also - where the winch mounting bolts go thru. Perhaps a gusset welded in each corner too? Any thoughts, input, bashing?

When done, I may need one of those stickers that say "Caution - You Are The Crush Zone" ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Thu 30 Sep 2010, 8:46 am

if I had the tools like you, I'd weld a piece of 3/8" plate on top of the bash bar and add gussets from the sides of the frame. create a skidplate fromthe front of the plate to the bottom of the bumper and it can double as a fairlead mount.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

specs. : Dick Cepeck Crusher Tires and Wheels, 5.38 Gears, Bomb Shell kit and C-gussets, Tom Woods 1350 drive shafts

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Tue 05 Oct 2010, 12:40 pm

Made a Jig to re-locate the holes a bit...

With the Jig, it is cut to is the same from either end, this way inboard and outboard holes are straight across....

Cuttin' the slugs to put into the holes.

Pokin' the hole thru the slugs...

Shaving the slug to .997" to fit the 1" drilled holes

Slug slid into place, ready to weld.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Tue 05 Oct 2010, 2:35 pm

Very nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Tue 05 Oct 2010, 9:40 pm

Clean dude!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Thu 07 Oct 2010, 12:10 am

Got the slugs welded in the other day. Just now got time to post. Got ground down smooth and shot with some rattle can after this pic. Working on the brackets and spacers now. Have the bumper backbone cut into 3 pieces. More to come as is done..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Mon 13 Dec 2010, 10:51 pm

Well, I've been busy. Working on when I can, And the buliding I'm working in isn't heated. Whatever it is outside, it's close to that inside. I just have 4 walls and a roof. Can aim some heat at me with a Quartz heater, or a Master (now) deisel heater.. * Got all the frame work done finally. *
Plasma torch cut most all the plates, to rough size. Then took to the Milling Machine (WEB Mill) and trued up, shaved to size. I could have cut to exact size, ran the flap disk over the parts and welded. Would have too if I didn't have the Mill. But it's just nicer when all parts are nearly exactly square and to size. As here - these are the 5/16" side plates. Making them exact twins.

Spacer blocks. Milled to be exactly the same. Marked for LH and RH, for the offset. Drilled to match the slug spacing in the frame. One is already shaved here - see below.... 4 pic's I think.

The blocks were about 1/8" or so too thick, so am fly cutting them down... BUT, I screwed up.... took too much off. I'm not good with numbers. No problem thou. Had a chunk of 16 ga. to use as a shim. Worked just right.

This is a 2x3x1/8" angle laying on the frame cross piece. The winch plate - I welded it up in place. Then couldn't get it out... slaping So. I had to cut in in two. Before I did, I slid the angle under it, clamped in place. Layed out where to drill, center punched and drilled 1/8" pilot holes in everything I needed to. then drilled 1/32 over 3/8 - whatever that was. Then cut the plate so I could lift it out... crazy Once out, I countersunk the back side of the angle, got some countersunk bolts - duh- and tack welded on the back side. So, now I have "studs" sticking up. Have to set the Lh and Rh parts in place on top loosly, once everything is in place, can tighten it all up.

RH side set in place....

Now the winch set in place... This is where I want it to be positioned.

Far as I'm getting tonight.... Only 20 some more to go. Snow Plow is in tommorow, Western HTS 7.6... Will have install pic's of it too. Just need to see what I have to "fix" to make it fit with my winch install mods. Will see. Will post again when I get the time....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Mon 13 Dec 2010, 11:03 pm

Looking good as always!

I can't wait to see that plow. I saw the midwest getting hammered. Are you expecting any snow up your way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Mon 13 Dec 2010, 11:19 pm

Wow. Punch out a couple and sell 'em! weldor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 12:02 am

Hemi_Tim aka thebigtman wrote:
Looking good as always!

I can't wait to see that plow. I saw the midwest getting hammered. Are you expecting any snow up your way?

Not at this time.... Actually, I'd be good if I didn't get any snow!!! cheers Thou it'd be sad not to get to play with the Jeep. Closest I'll get to an adventure...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 4:04 pm

Wow, great fab work. Wish I had the skills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 7:04 pm

By the way, is anyone familiar with my warn winch? The lever end for the free wheeling - I need to "re-clock" the lever to the back 1 bolt hole. I emailed warn - never got a reply. I just need to know if I can pull all the bolts out and if the housing will just rotate. Or if it is stuck, if I can gently tap on it with my rawhide hammer and pop it loose. Any gasket or "O" ring I need to be concerned about... Warn XD9000i pictured above.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 11:45 pm

I had a place local bend this " plate in a 90. I notched it out to fit between the fog lights on the back of the bumper - which is double-walled, I cut out the back "wall". So, now the bottom leg is too long (planed that way). I have drilled 1/8" holes in shown places - about " from each end, and a couple spaced X amount further in. Now, I will use the plasma torch to cut out between the long sections and this leaves a " bridge - which makes a "hinge" that allows me to hand bend exactly where I want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 11:48 pm

Above - ready to cut...
Below - have made the cut....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Tue 14 Dec 2010, 11:51 pm

And now bending....

Originally, I was hopping to leave it at about 45. But there wasn't enough space. So, was bent a full 90.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Wed 15 Dec 2010, 12:01 am

Here - I have the bent seam welded up. the gussets underneath welded in place, the Aluminum spacer plate bolted in place. On the ends - I had a 6"x " bridge angle that I used. Can see a bit better in the second pic. Put a speed hole in it so might be able to hook into it. And being what it is, should be strong enough to hold anything my frame is able to. You think?

Tig welded most on the underside...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Wed 15 Dec 2010, 9:58 pm

Back plate mounted to Jeep. Put bumper in place. Did some measuring, made a template from some scrap to get marks centered. Held fairlead in place, dotted the holes with a silver marker. Drilled thru the plastic and made a drill dimple in the back plate.... Think I'm about outa breath...

More fun... Cutting the hole for the cable to go thru... Back plate clamped onto the mill table, squared up.

Started the process... 3/4" end mill, plunge cut, scoot over about a " or so, plunge cut again. Got a good line started, then ran back and forth to the rough size, then went with a light cleanup cut when got to the size I needed. ** Remember, I'm not a machinist, never ran any of this stuff before I bought it, so, there may have been another/better way. But I got the job done. Worked for me, looked reasonably good. cheers2 If I didn't have this "stuff" I'm not sure how I'd of done it, but it would have been much cruder!

One "line" part way done...

And now to size...

Set in place. Also in the next 3 pics - you can see I welded a strap around the back side also. Then drilled some holes in the top. In the 3rd pic down - you can see the braces I made to support the top. Didn't know where I would bolt up, so drilled some choices.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Wed 15 Dec 2010, 10:41 pm

Damn! I bet the winch breaks before that mount even flexes! rollin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Thu 16 Dec 2010, 11:26 am

nice work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Thu 16 Dec 2010, 7:36 pm

Tow hook "studs" are too short, as I had to space the bumper out 1" for the back of the fog lights to clear the winch motor & clutch. So, I used the lathe to make a sleeve to adapt the metric stud to gr8 " bolt. Since I wouldn't have any of holding them to tighten, I linked them together. (Also shown on another thread, just repeating here since was part of the "build").

More another nite....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Thu 16 Dec 2010, 9:50 pm

Wow, I can't wait to see final pics, great job!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jeep-nation.com
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Sat 18 Dec 2010, 1:31 am

Started to use these "plates for spacers. But wasn't enough. Added " plate for a total of 1" spacing out of the bumper.

Can also see at the bottom of above pic where I cut the back "wall" off the bumper too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Sat 18 Dec 2010, 2:05 am

wow...nice to have tools huh...! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.akonius.com
testrat
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Sun 19 Dec 2010, 1:01 am

Bumper and winch mounted in place....

Tada!!! Finisned at last, finished at last!!!! cheers2

And you can also see the snow plow bracket also is installed underneath everything too (another thread will be started for it!)..

And since these pic's - winch is wired and fully functional now.... brocollidance crazy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   Sun 19 Dec 2010, 9:52 am

Nice work
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????   

Back to top Go down

08 JK Rubi - Front winch mounting????
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Write-up's & How-to's-
Jump to: