MyJEEPforum.com

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

JK Rear Pinch Seam / Rubicon Rail End Cap Trim

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jeeperaf
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot

Number of posts : 10
Rig : 2010 Rubicon Unlimited
Registration date : 2010-10-25

PostSubject: JK Rear Pinch Seam / Rubicon Rail End Cap Trim    Sun 21 Nov 2010, 10:31 pm

Colleagues,

Here's a quick overview for trimming your JK's rear pinch seams and OEM rubi rails to get a better fit for 35+ tires. The problem with the stock pinch seams are the straight 90 degree angles that interfere with 35+ tires (when air downed) during upward articulation travel.

Everyone knows what the stock pinch seam looks like so I'll spare you that photo.

Above is shown the trimmed pinch seam. You could have it done professionally or do it yourself. There are two schools of thought--trim with snips, cutting wheel, etc. or use the big f%cking hammer technique and beat the corner over. I chose the former and specifically used a die grinder with a cutting wheel. I had great success as the cutting wheel makes a clean cut and is easy to follow with painter's tape as your guide.

Above shows how I filled the gap w/ aerosol insulation foam (comes in a red can from any home improvement store) and then sprayed a touch of line x (you could use any coating).

Above shows a good example of using painter's tape as your cutting guide--set 2" all around from the edge. Its easy to do if you use a small grinder with a steady hand. Start a groove all around the tape line and then finish the job as the cutting disc will naturally stay in the channel.

Above shows the finished cut. Grind off the sharp edges, drill the hole for the body panel tab insert, and its ready for paint.

Re-install the rubi rails and you're ready for bigger meats...

Last edited by jeeperaf on Wed 24 Nov 2010, 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: JK Rear Pinch Seam / Rubicon Rail End Cap Trim    Sun 21 Nov 2010, 10:49 pm

excellent right up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: JK Rear Pinch Seam / Rubicon Rail End Cap Trim    Mon 22 Nov 2010, 11:03 am

looks good. thanks for the write up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

Number of posts : 191
Rig : 07 JK
specs. : Not enough
Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: JK Rear Pinch Seam / Rubicon Rail End Cap Trim    Tue 23 Nov 2010, 12:36 am

Great write up. I've been thinking about doing that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JK Rear Pinch Seam / Rubicon Rail End Cap Trim    

Back to top Go down

JK Rear Pinch Seam / Rubicon Rail End Cap Trim
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Write-up's & How-to's-
Jump to: