MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Detroit true trac

Go down 
+7
BaytownBert
Ben
lonestar rubi
Chris
jkx0778
Mr.RonGilbert
bobby0872r
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bobby0872r
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
bobby0872r

Number of posts : 37
Rig : 07JK x
specs. : 2.5 RK smitty armor/winch 33" trail grapplers
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 3:09 am

Ok here we go...i have the truetrac in my 79cj5 with a D30 axle works great. But it has manual locking hubs so if im out on a trail and its tight turns i usualy have to unlock one side because it tends to not turn... is it a good option for the D30 on my JK or would i be better off with a selectable... i know i want to upgrade from the stock open diff.. i just want to balance good offroad performance and cost.. one i plan on doing an axle swap to maybe a D44 but that will be a few years..so im thinking i dont want to spend the extra cash on this axle.. if that makes sense lunch
thank you for all your help.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 8:55 am

IMO I would go with the selectable up front if you can swing it. Even if it means waiting a little while longer to get it all done at once.

I wouldnt go back with a limited slip diff though, that is what is there already. If you want to save some money just go with the Detroit locker up front where it is locked when you switch into 4wd. Then you can leave it locked or shift into 2wd between obstacles.

I am very happy with my ARBs front and back.... It took a while to finally get it all done but was well worth the wait IMO.
Back to top Go down
bobby0872r
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
bobby0872r

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 9:16 am

Ron are you referring to the Detroit soft locker? If so looking at the price, a couple of hundred dollars more i could go with the Auburn ECTED. Im guessing the install price would be about the same.. dangerdriving
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 10:57 am

for the front the selectable is the way to go. but I've heard ppl having good experiences with aussie lockers on the D30s too.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 4:31 pm

I would not reccommend the Ected up front. I had it, had troubles. They sent me a brand new one which I sold to someone who had problems and no resolution from Ected at all. I can get his email addy if you want more info on his troubles and conversations with Auburn.

Aussie is a good choice for sure. As is ARB and Ox (once dialed in)
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 8:39 pm

I just got the Aussie for up front and Detroit trutrac in the back on a D44. Hope to have it all installed in a couple of days in order to give feed back. Selectable is the way to go up front Aussie is the next choice.
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 9:38 pm

Selectable is the way to go on the front!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

Number of posts : 601
Rig : yellow, six speed, vinyl, no carpet or rear seat
specs. : rubi takeoffs 2.5" RC spring lift
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 11:42 pm

Hey I just had the aussie put in my front d30 and detroit locker in the rear. It all depends on what you want. My jeep is a daily driver with 32's, 4.88 gears, and no sway bars. I love my setup but will let you know that you will have to "relearn" some things with the lockers and pavement.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
bobby0872r
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
bobby0872r

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 10:29 am

Well did some home work... i have yet to find any bad reviews on the Aussie...And it seems to be easy enough to put in yourself....when i return home ..ill install it and head out too Hidden falls for a test drive...
thanks for the input and advise
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 5:54 pm

Sound like a outing to me! rollin
Back to top Go down
bobby0872r
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
bobby0872r

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011, 1:31 am

Well just ordered the Aussie for the front... hopefully i can get it installed my self correctly... if not ill have a slightly used dana 30 for sell spongebob Any way the write ups on the install seem to be pretty straight forward so i shouldnt have any trouble
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011, 5:49 pm

Music starts off funky at the start
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

Number of posts : 601
Rig : yellow, six speed, vinyl, no carpet or rear seat
specs. : rubi takeoffs 2.5" RC spring lift
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeTue 11 Jan 2011, 11:49 pm

omg what a great video. I approve
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
BaytownBert
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
BaytownBert

Number of posts : 10
Rig : 2011 JKU Sport
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 4:11 pm

I had the TrueTrac in my TJ's front Dana 30 and I never knew it was there and I mean that in a good way. When it came time to crawl over or go through something, it pulled like a full locker. I ran everything from Palo Duro to Hot Springs and folks watching me thought I was fully locked.
Back to top Go down
http://baytownbert.us
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 4:34 pm

Don’t go with Auburn ECTED when I was doing my research on what to buy I found really bad reviews. I went with Eaton Elocker in the rear and Powertrax No-Slip on front. You can’t feel the Powertrax on 2wd, you will feel it in 4wd as you already know but I have the Tera 2low installed so it somewhat acts as a selectable with this.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011, 11:12 am

Nice video, Chris.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeThu 19 May 2011, 8:16 pm

I just found the vid on youtube.
Back to top Go down
Bprin10

Number of posts : 6
Rig : 2008 Jeep Green 2DR JK
specs. : Superior 5.13 gears, Detroit True-Trac LSD, SB SRC Front bumper, XRC Pro-series winch, Bilstein 5100's, Rancho SS, ARB Coils, JKS Front and Rear track bars,SB rear bumber, AtoZ Fab rocker guards, Superchip, CB, 315/75/16 GY Duratracs on graphite painted MB Stryker wheels, Flat fenders
Registration date : 2011-05-29

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeMon 30 May 2011, 9:01 am

bobby0872r wrote:
Ok here we go...i have the truetrac in my 79cj5 with a D30 axle works great. But it has manual locking hubs so if im out on a trail and its tight turns i usualy have to unlock one side because it tends to not turn... is it a good option for the D30 on my JK or would i be better off with a selectable... i know i want to upgrade from the stock open diff.. i just want to balance good offroad performance and cost.. one i plan on doing an axle swap to maybe a D44 but that will be a few years..so im thinking i dont want to spend the extra cash on this axle.. if that makes sense lunch
thank you for all your help.

I went through the same dilemma. I ended up putting the DTT up front on my JK and I actually tested it out for the first time yesterday (still breaking in new gears). I liked it a lot.. Very Happy As I am sure you know from previous experience, once you learn the actuating sequence with the breaks it is real close to full lock, as far as I could tell. i really like it there for the other 79% of the time that my jeep does not need it. I am pretty much sold on the Powertrax for the Rear Diff. Once I get done with my break in I might throw it on in the rear, as it does not require any resetting of the R&P.
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

Number of posts : 371
Rig : 99 TJ
specs. : https://www.facebook.com/TexasHillCountryOffRoad
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov 2011, 3:19 pm

Hey Chris, how did that True Trac work out for you? I am looking at them currently. May be a way to cheat at getting closed to locked traction without destroying my D30 and D35. I already re geared so I kinda wanna keep using the axles I already invested in.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TexasHillCountryOffRoad
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov 2011, 6:17 pm

Does a TrueTrac not replace the carrier? I had assumed it was the whole deal, in which case you'd have to reset all your gears and such...
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov 2011, 6:38 pm

I believe you are correct sir
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov 2011, 7:44 pm

Yes the True trac replaces carrier so you need to order it for the proper gear ratio you're installing.
Detroit true trac Axle_c10
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov 2011, 7:52 pm

Yeah I have kept that in mind, so how do you like it Chris?
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov 2011, 7:54 pm

I haven't wheeled with it other than on ice and a little mud, Love it. Don't even know its there on the streets.
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov 2011, 7:57 pm

That sounds good so far. I am thinking if I can get a little more traction on the trail, good performance on the street, and avoid breaking or swaping axles for $400, I may just do it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Detroit true trac Empty
PostSubject: Re: Detroit true trac   Detroit true trac Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Detroit true trac
Page 1 of 1