MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How long between Oil Changes?

Go down 
+18
BaytownBert
Ben
gold03
GULF COAST PIRATE
bobby0872r
outcast
Jake&Jen
Hook-Em
jkx0778
texas-kid
Swamprat
Ingramsatx
Dutchboy101
lonestar rubi
Chris
Uup4it
jeff.lyon3
JK4AER
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

Number of posts : 481
Rig : 1986 CJ7
specs. : Not Much
Registration date : 2011-02-06

How long between Oil Changes? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long between Oil Changes?   How long between Oil Changes? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2011, 10:44 pm

Hook-Em wrote:
Some of you might roll your eyes, but Wal-mart's Super Tech Full Synthetic 5W-30 is a good oil with an API SL, SM, SN certification. It's usually $7 to $10 less than its equivalent Mobile 1 counterpart sold in a 5 quart jug. Throw in a Fram Double-Guard filter and I'm out for $25.

Like I said, cheap insurance. That's my $.02 opinion on oil changes.

Thanks for the info. I now use wal-mart oil and it's awsome.
Back to top Go down
https://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i399/shanerominger/
whiskey tango
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot

Number of posts : 14
Rig : 2006 LJ Rubicon
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: How long between Oil Changes?   How long between Oil Changes? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 07 Aug 2011, 3:51 pm

i use mobile 5000 and a mopar oil filter every 5000 miles (rotate my tires every 5k too). cost under $20 at walmart
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: How long between Oil Changes?   How long between Oil Changes? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

Call me old school, but i like the 3000 mile oil changes. I do them myself so i save a few bucks. It also allows me the time to look at everything from belts , hoses , etc. When im underneath , i like to check u-joints, wire routings, etc. Just more peace of mind for me. The thing about this topic that is great is that you know oil changes are very important. When i was working at the shop, a guy towed in a very nice 4 wheel drive Bronco with about 75000 miles on it. Turned out that the motor locked up. This guy Never changed his oil. Still had the oem filter on it that we had to pry off. Cost him over 3000 dollars for a junkyard motor plus labor. I guess it was easier for him to shell out 3 grand as compared to 30 bucks here and there for an oil change.
Back to top Go down
Batjeep09
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

Number of posts : 143
Rig : 2009 2 Dr JK
specs. : Big tires, scratches, cb, winch, lights, bike rack, more scratches and Batman decals.
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: How long between Oil Changes?   How long between Oil Changes? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Aug 2011, 7:28 pm

You really don't have to change either for 7k on modern quality oils. Mobil 1 is designed for 15k when thier filter is used and amzoil is for 24k or 25k. Something like that. Either way you are throwing away good oil and filters at 3k miles. if you prefer indifferent brand just keep an eye on it. When the oil is both dark and starting to thin change it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long between Oil Changes?   How long between Oil Changes? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How long between Oil Changes?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2