MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

axel seals

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jeeprookie09
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
jeeprookie09

Number of posts : 40
Rig : 07 JK
Registration date : 2011-02-08

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011, 10:00 pm

Just discovered my fwd rt axel seal leaking. Just got new tirea and rims and they didnt say anything when they installed. Can anyone tell me how long this could take to replace. I know the seals cheap. Forums are saying this is pretty common.

Do u have to remove the spindle from the axel housing to remove the axel and change the seal
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011, 10:17 pm

Yes, they are replaced from inside the diff. Pull both axles and the R&P have to be pulled. If you have not done it or seen it done take it somewhere where you can help if possible. Not a highly technical job but one that I would want some supervision doing the first time.

Seals are cheap.... you can do it all with your tools and a home made press... I will try and find a pic of one.

Go ahead and change both out while you are in there.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011, 10:28 pm

I see you are at Lackland.. Lots of folks in SA on the Military Jeepers forum and a bunch from SA on this forum as well. I bet you can find someone that will be willing to help if you provide the cold beverages.

Not sure about AF bases but we had an auto shop on base (Army) that we could use... but get there early if you want a spot on the lift. You don't have to have a lift to get this job done but it makes it nice...

Here is a thread on JKO about the home made press - you can also get the real ones at Sears or Harbor Freight:

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=425844

Back to top Go down
jeeprookie09
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
jeeprookie09

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeWed 23 Feb 2011, 11:01 pm

Thanks a bunch. Ive got a friend down the street who knows what hes doin gonna have him show me the ropes. Tryin to make the ride sat.
Back to top Go down
jeeprookie09
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
jeeprookie09

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeThu 24 Feb 2011, 10:50 pm

And the plot thickens....

So we have the axels and the gears out...everythings clean ready to be put back in...as soon as I get the right seal tomorrow. After reading some instructions on how to put it back together there is talk about spreading the diff housing to put the assembly back in. I am not experienced with cars so maybe I'm not saying this right but does anyone know what I'm talking about...and is there a way around it? The tool to do this has to be huge and expensive. I'm thinking it came out so it has to be able to go back in but I am not an experienced mechanic.

A friend of mine is going to try and work his magic I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that it is completely possible to put it back together..........really want to go riding on sat...but so far this is not good.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeThu 24 Feb 2011, 11:04 pm

I have taken mine apart at least 5 times.... never used a spreader.

If you got everything out and didn't change anything (shims etc...) it should go right back in with a little push and a tap with the dead blow. I made sure to mark everything (retainers/bolts etc..) so I could put it back where it came from. Get the seals in, stuff the guts and install the short side shaft and give it a turn (by hand) to make sure that everything is doing what it is supposed to. Also a good time to check your gears for wear. Should be nice and even right in the middle of the "tooth" of the ring.

If you think something isn't right or are not sure then stop and call someone who knows - worst case you can remove the guts/axles, install the wheels/tires back on (minus the axles...) and drive it to a gear shop to get fixed.

One mistake in there can fawk up both the ring, pinion and possibly the housing. Not trying to make a big deal out of this, the seals should be a simple job - just take your time, check and recheck everything and you should be good.

I made a mistake and over tightened my rear pinion nut (went all gorilla on it) and it cost me new damn near everything. I was in over my head and should have taken it somewhere...... lesson learned.

Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 2:15 pm

SitRep?

How did it go? Hopefully no snags.
Back to top Go down
jeeprookie09
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
jeeprookie09

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 2:27 pm

We r still at work right now hopefully going to cut out early to get it done tonight. Got all the pieces for the press FINALLY got the right seals. Had to go to the dealer...but they were helpful. Thanks for your advice ill let you know how we succeed tonight
Back to top Go down
jeeprookie09
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
jeeprookie09

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeFri 25 Feb 2011, 9:55 pm

Its all put back together just gotta ops check
Back to top Go down
jeeprookie09
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
jeeprookie09

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 8:48 pm

Went wheeling on Saturday and put it through the wringer...no leaks. I found some seals that go on the end of the axel on the outside that I am going to put on there as well. Thanks for your help Mr. Ron.

The axel seals are pretty fragile under a hammer so we put them in the freezer to make it easier to insert them. With the help of that press it worked like a champ.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitimeWed 02 Mar 2011, 9:53 pm

Sweet! I forgot about the freezer trick.. it makes a difference.

I looked at the outer seals and wondered if they would work... it was the ORE ones (I think). The axles flex on the ends... try it and see, nothing bad can happen with them in there.

I added inner sleeves to mine.... to go with the truss and gussets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

axel seals Empty
PostSubject: Re: axel seals   axel seals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

axel seals
Page 1 of 1