MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison

Go down 
+6
TOYZ_2
jkx0778
Dutchboy101
Hook-Em
lonestar rubi
JK4AER
10 posters
AuthorMessage
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

Number of posts : 292
Rig : '08 Black JKU Rubi
specs. : Loaded with two carseats!!!
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Empty
PostSubject: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

Didn't see this posted here, I'm sure some of you have seen this before but I thought I would post it here: http://www.powerblocktv.com/video/?ep_show=XT. Maybe one day...
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 10:24 pm

Tim and I just talked about this Sunday. I rather have the HEMI, the ripps supercharger even at the extreme programming still does not come even close to the torque of the stock HEMI. Last time I checked wheelers need torque not horsepower. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

Number of posts : 1223
Rig : 2009 Sunburst Orange JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI
Registration date : 2010-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 9:08 am

I thought Herjkx (Paulie) was supposed to be installing a super charger in their JK. I'd be interested in hearing how satisfied they are with that choice.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 10:15 am

Paulie already has the SC installed. However the Hemi is the better option over all. I don't think the SC is not a bad way to go for the money. The stock engine does well offroad, IMO. But I wouldn't mind more power for highway speeds.

So I think if you regear the Jeep add a SC, you would have a pretty good combination that compares reasonably well with the power output of the Hemi. At least for the money.

Having said that, I'd rather have a 6.1 Ltr SRT8 Hemi in my Jeep. Now I just need to find the money.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 11:04 am

I agree with ^^this^^

The 3.8 spins tires just fine offroad. That's what the 2.72 low range is for. The 3.8 sux on the hwy, expecially with larger than stock tires. Even with 4.88s I have to really get on the throttle to have any kind of pick up and throttle response really isn't there. For the $$, the SC gives the HP for hwy use - at least that's what it's supposed to do. I have no personal experience. I wish I had the $$ for either Sad

I've been really thinking of getting the sprint booster for better throttle response study
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 11:27 am

My son Aryan had the 4.88s installed in his Jeep. With the 4 banger and 33's it did really well on the highway. He recently went to 35's and is not as pleased with the performance. Likes the look and heighth, just not the performance. Dollar wise, the SC looks to be a great investment, but i think i would rather have the HEMI. Nothing says Bad Ass like a big HEMI sticker on the Jeep.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 8:00 pm

potatoe potatoe potatoe sounds better than weeee weeee weee
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 8:17 pm

Chris wrote:
stupid1 lol! I don't think anybody will know that one!?!
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 9:32 pm

Superchargers and hemi swaps are getting better and better as we go along and I'm glad to see that both fronts have advanced since the JK was introduced.

I'm also glad that we finally saw a fairly unbiased comparison of what the supercharger does against the hemi. We all have our preferences based on what we want (and including what our budget allows). You guys all know which route I chose but if you're considering a swap, I recommend that you do extensive homework and make your own conclusion. What works for one doesn't work for all.

Remember - Xtreme 4x4 tested a non VVT 5.7 hemi. The VVT 5.7 hemi puts down almost as much as the 6.1 SRT engine but with a flatter torque curve. A friend is doing hemi swaps for a local Jeep dealer in CO and he has driven them all - 5.7, 5.7vvt, 6.1, 6.4. He owned a 6.1 swapped JKU for over a year and he told me that he preferred the 5.7vvt over the 6.1. The power felt better with the 5.7 and the 5.7 returned high teens for mileage compared to 11mpg with the 6.1. The 6.1 requires premium fuel, unlike the vvt variant.

For those of you that remember the original Mad Max, one of the quotes from that movie is applicable here - Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?"
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

Number of posts : 292
Rig : '08 Black JKU Rubi
specs. : Loaded with two carseats!!!
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 10:32 pm

I was surprised at the cost stated for the Hemi swap. For some reason I was thinking it was more along the lines of $10k??
Back to top Go down
DangerMouse
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
DangerMouse

Number of posts : 666
Rig : 2005 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
specs. : Pro Comp lift, soft 8 wheels, 33x13.5x15 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 12:25 am

If I had the money then I would rather have a HEMI with a supercharger. Who says you can't have both? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 8:22 am

I believe the cost stated for the hemi swap was like $20K+, right?

Sure, if you want to drop it off at AEV or BOR and have them do it, you will drop that kind of cash. However, if you want to take it on yourself, it can be done for much less.
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 9:30 am

lonestar rubi wrote:
Chris wrote:

At the risk of sounding stupid, I'll take a shot at it and end up looking brilliant.

Potato potato potato = rumble sound of a Hemi vs. Weee weee weee = spooled up supercharger.

What do I win? Smile

BTW Chris that was rotfl funny!!!
Back to top Go down
HerJK-X
Poster child
Poster child
HerJK-X

Number of posts : 288
Rig : 2008 JK Unlimited X
Registration date : 2010-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 2:02 pm

What can we say about the supercharger? It's been great for what we needed; it drives great and has plenty of power when needed. Of course, it was fun to drive with just the gears and programmer, so the supercharger is just icing on the cake.

Paul is not a fan of the hemi's so until Jeep Speed Shop or who ever else comes up with a kit for the LSx motors, we will be rockin' the supercharger.
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 2:38 pm

Hook-Em wrote:
lonestar rubi wrote:
Chris wrote:

At the risk of sounding stupid, I'll take a shot at it and end up looking brilliant.

Potato potato potato = rumble sound of a Hemi vs. Weee weee weee = spooled up supercharger.

What do I win? Smile

BTW Chris that was rotfl funny!!!

ding ding ding you win!!!!!!!!!!! cheers cheers cheers

Now for your prize..... an ALL expense paid night out on the town with yours truly(chris) in DRAG!!!!!! belly
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 3:49 pm

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Uhhhhh, I'll pass on that prize.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 8:42 pm

Your loss! belly
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 10:18 pm

I'll live! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 11:53 pm

Hook-Em wrote:
I'll live! Very Happy

Not like you would have, if you would have taken the prize
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar 2011, 9:11 am

lonestar rubi wrote:
Hook-Em wrote:
I'll live! Very Happy

Not like you would have, if you would have taken the prize

Perhaps not. Sad But at least I got to win the potato-whee challenge! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison   Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hemi vs. SC Video Comparison
Page 1 of 1