MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hunting rig debate

Go down 
+4
paramedac
Hook-Em
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Deacon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 2:49 am

So I'm getting tired of the relatively limited capabilities of my Arctic Cat 500 for a marginal improvement in where it can go that I don't really need. I've been looking at selling it and putting the money toward an actual off road hunting rig. Right now I've been looking at CJs/Wranglers or XJ's, which is where the debate comes in. I'd love a Commanche but don't can't seem to find one anywhere nearby, much less I'm good condition for cheap. A CJ8 that didn't cost its weight in gold would be great, too.

I have a bead on a $4k 4-banger TJ that should do the trick. I can weld up brackets for ATV rifle cases, but I'm not sure about throwing a big axis buck in the back. Also there's a rather steep hill climb at the hopefully new lease that makes me nervous with the short wheel base. I'm probably just being a wuss, but I'd like to run it in my own rig first before I'd be comfortable doing it in a stock version. I do have a lot of parts for TJs already, and you have the option of lowering the windshield.

On the other hand XJs are pretty inexpensive and have both a long wheelbase for hill climb stability and a closed cabin--hunting happens in the cold and/or the rain. Plus the cargo space is drastically increased. There's a '92 on craigslist for $3k that sounds like a good option. The field is cluttered with too many 2WD versions, but there are some decent 4x4 examples. As long as it's mechanically sound, the condition of the carpet and all that is pretty irrelevant as it'd be ripped out anyway to bedline the interior. I'd still rather have an open bed, but Rangers and little Toyotas are more than I'd like to spend.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 8:21 am

You could cut the top up on an XJ and do a cage to add back the structural integrity. Those things can be found pretty cheaply if you take your time.

Alternatively, what about a Sami or Tracker?
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

Number of posts : 1223
Rig : 2009 Sunburst Orange JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 9:02 am

I'm willing to bet what Chris will say. You could add a platform to the top and have a mobile raised blind too. A childhood friend of mine had an old suburban like that. The seats and sides were removable so they could drive around town without the added weight & drag from the stand. It was a pretty sweet setup!

An XJ would work well for such a platform.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 9:28 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The Samurais or Trackers have even less room than thank the TJ, so they're out, plus I don't know them or have a garage full of spare parts for them.

I've though about chopping the top off, at least behind the rear door, but I'm not sure I want to go that route yet. I may end up doing that regardless. Ditto the mobile blind idea, but that's even more down the "no turning back" route for what I would like to see remain a viable road vehicle. Don't think it doesn't sound cool though Smile
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 9:34 am

Hey man, have you thought about putting an off road trailer behind the jeep? It would have enough room to haul the game and then voila, it's disconnected and your TJ Hunting vehicle is still a viable road vehicle. You can make a trailer any way you want it too.
Back to top Go down
paramedac
Poster child
Poster child
paramedac

Number of posts : 221
Rig : 1995 yj soft top half doors
specs. : 1.75 shackle lift 31x10.5x15 mud rovers,aftermarket bumpers but still the 2.5L
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 10:00 am

Hemi_Tim aka thebigtman wrote:
Hey man, have you thought about putting an off road trailer behind the jeep? It would have enough room to haul the game and then voila, it's disconnected and your TJ Hunting vehicle is still a viable road vehicle. You can make a trailer any way you want it too.
I'm with Tim if you build a trailer you can save a bunch of money and get exactly what you want an elevated blind and a way to haul your kill. just my 2cents
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 11:57 am

Excellent points, guys. Thanks!

It's actually one thing I've forgotten: the lease is part of a larger piece of family land that they only really use to grow hay and a few head of cattle, but they have a number of implements that would be available to us to use, and that includes a couple of little box utility trailers that would be perfect for pulling behind the Jeep, regardless of what it is. Hell, I'd love to build a pintle hook system for it, too Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 12:42 pm

Hook-Em wrote:
I'm willing to bet what Chris will say. You could add a platform to the top and have a mobile raised blind too. A childhood friend of mine had an old suburban like that. The seats and sides were removable so they could drive around town without the added weight & drag from the stand. It was a pretty sweet setup!

An XJ would work well for such a platform.

I've got a couple of sawzall's!
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 3:48 pm

You replaced that D35 yet? Razz
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 6:01 pm

Yup! got your axle too if you would like it back!
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 6:53 pm

Yeah, I want it back Smile I may need it for spares if I pick up that 4-banger TJ. Unless I throw an 8.8 back there, but for a 4-banger ranch jeep on 30's or 31's it's probably not necessary...

jdldx3 will be bringing an axle with him to the meet Friday. If you're going to be going, you can just bring it along then.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 8:33 pm

Not sure if i'm going yet but if i do I'll bring it
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 9:24 pm

I have a freind with a 69 jeepster commando. $1700 running. Stock 3.8 v6 with an auto trans. That is a Buick engine that came factory from Jeep. Parts are readily available. It has a winch cherry picker set up on the back bumper and hunting rack with seats over the hard top. These were also offered with a half cab. I am not sure how hard they are to come by. That would be a cheaper option

$.02
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeThu 21 Apr 2011, 1:14 am

That sounds like an excellent option.. Can you pm me the contact info?
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Number of posts : 697
Rig : 2010 JK unlimited
specs. : changing daily...
Registration date : 2009-12-14

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeThu 21 Apr 2011, 8:32 pm

Twylla has been batting around the idea of selling her 92 XJ and buying a TJ... Hers is in pretty dang good shape too.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 1:27 am

Too late!

Today I picked up '99 XJ with 120k for $2500. Some cosmetic issues, needs new tires, but perfect for the lease.

I looked at the '97 TJ 4-banger. Dude's delusional. Asking $4500, said $4k was his price floor. I offered him $2100 and felt like I was being generous. He declined. He's had it for sale for like 2 months. The laundry list of things wrong with it is ridiculous. It'd make the perfect starting platform for a crawler/trail build, though. Replace the entire drive train (e.g. 5.3L with a 700r4 to tons with 40's), drop in harness seats, break out the sawzall and comp cut it for a big stretch, etc. But that's ALL it was good for.
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 1:31 am

Well damn. lol. We have to sell hers so I can have another TJ. She wants my JK, and that's the only way she's getting it.

Glad you found ya something!

Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 1:43 am

Me too Smile

Gotta fix the stuck hatch, the passenger front power window is off the track (or broken track), replace the front diff cover (I've got a stock D30 diff cover sitting in my garage regardless), get an alignment and straighten the steering wheel, and it could turn into a daily driver. A/C works great, driveline is great (not devoid of leaks, but only minor stuff), etc. I feel pretty good about it Smile

I'll probably get it painted OD, put a brush guard bumper with a winch on it, MAYBE lift it slightly, and that's it.
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 1:51 am

The XJs are tough. There's no two ways about it. T's has 100k on it and runs like a champ...
Back to top Go down
GULFCOAST PIRATE PRINCESS
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULFCOAST PIRATE PRINCESS

Number of posts : 454
Rig : 1994 XJ Cherokee Laredo
specs. : Stock for now... :-(
Registration date : 2009-12-15

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 2:47 am

over 200k
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hunting rig debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting rig debate   Hunting rig debate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hunting rig debate
Page 1 of 1