MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Locking Differential

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

Number of posts : 481
Rig : 1986 CJ7
specs. : Not Much
Registration date : 2011-02-06

Locking Differential Empty
PostSubject: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 4:05 pm

What would it take to install locking differentials into a 1986 CJ7 4.2 258ci. I have no clue at this time gear ratios or spline counts or any or that. Just wondering if its doable myself, maybe an install party, or is it a take it into the shop job. Just looking into it.
Back to top Go down
https://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i399/shanerominger/
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 4:18 pm

gilly_as and myself did the install of my front locker. I went with POWERTRAX, it was a really simple install. It was done in a day taking our time to do things. Now if you want selectable that might be a bit more difficult. I got my rear Eaton Elocker installed when I did my gears at a local shop so I don’t really know what it takes. I am really happy with both of my lockers.

Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 4:50 pm

hmmmm, I like that. Dont really want fancy stuff. Just dont want to get stuck again for 4 1/2 hours, (Tyler can probably show you the pics). If I had locking differs I would have probably been able to drive right out. Would like to do it before the PINS campout but I would have to do it myself to afford it by then. Just checking to see if it can be done outside of a shop. Is the rear just as easy as the front. Do I have to do both or is the front good enough. I really dont know much about it.
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 5:02 pm

Yeah need to ask him for pics or maybe he can post them here. Sorry I wasn’t able to help, I was at work.

Lockers are a plus at the beach but not really necessary, I drove for a while without lockers. Plus you will have us right there in case you need us.

To answer your question: No you don’t have to do both; you can do the front first and later on do the rear or vise versa
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 5:22 pm

Well I was fine till I got stupid and thats purely what it was, stupidity on my part, I dont plan on doing that much. However, I would like to get it done cause it is fun at times to be stupid. I would post it however I havnt figured out how to post yet. Either way, both front and back are doable yourself? not necessary to take it to a garage?
Back to top Go down
RichSATX
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
RichSATX

Number of posts : 187
Rig : 03 Wrangler Sport
specs. : 2.5 Lift 33's
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 5:23 pm

We have driven our TJ all the way down PINS and back many times by ourselves. So it is not an absolute before we go. Ours does not have lockers and won't this next time either. Airing down the tires and driving right are more important on sand.
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 5:32 pm

Yeah, i went quite a ways this last time. I'm not worried about making it, i know i will. Just something I'd like to get done and looking into it to see that it can be done "do it yourself" or if i have to take it in.
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 5:43 pm

You dont really need a shop to install it just have an install party with the SA group. I am sure many of them know how to. Or just get a friend to help you.

Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 5:58 pm

Much appreciation, thanks for the advise. See ya'll at PINS if not sooner.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 6:38 pm

I have the Aussie Locker in the front Dana 30 and a Detroit Tru Trac locker in back Dana 44. The Aussie is very simple to install and should take all of about 25 minutes to install, it's the tear down of the brakes, axles, carrier removal, gear removal and rebuild that will take about 4-5 hours.
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 8:56 pm

Im gonna do it sometime soon. When im ready ill figure out which way I wana go. When I'm ready I'll post an install party and see if I can get anyone to come help.
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jul 2011, 6:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Locking Differential   Locking Differential Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locking Differential
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Modified Tech-
Jump to: