MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tire warranty worth it?

Go down 
+6
Beached Bum
Hook-Em
Dutchboy101
Chris
lonestar rubi
XJcrawler
10 posters
AuthorMessage
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

Number of posts : 50
Rig : 01 XJ
specs. : Clayton 3 link longarms, Klune V doubler, d300 tripple sticks, 35's, Chromoly shafts, Hydro assist, lockers, 4.56's, SYE, high steer, sliders, truss,
Registration date : 2011-10-23

Tire warranty worth it? Empty
PostSubject: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 30 Oct 2011, 3:26 pm

So I have the option to purchase a full warranty from discount tire Co. on my new 35" BFG km2 m/t tires that lasts three years and offers a brand new replacement any time a tire is damaged within 3 years. It would cost $170 for 4 tires to be covered. These tires cost me about 270 each new. Anyone think the warranty is a good idea?  If it was on a street only vehicle I wouldn't bother but wheeling it pretty frequently makes a higher risk  of a puncture or torn side wall. Are there really any good odds of messing up a tire in the first 3 yrs?

Last edited by XJcrawler on Sun 30 Oct 2011, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 30 Oct 2011, 3:33 pm

Oooohh yea!!!! The replacement certificates are worth it!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 30 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

Yup worth it!

Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 30 Oct 2011, 5:09 pm

Get the warranty, I replaced 3 of the 5 KM2 tires I had on warranty.
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

Number of posts : 1223
Rig : 2009 Sunburst Orange JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI
Registration date : 2010-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 30 Oct 2011, 7:09 pm

Yep. Absolutely worth it. Do it. Go ahead. Do it now.
Back to top Go down
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

specs. : Clayton 3 link longarms, Klune V doubler, d300 tripple sticks, 35's, Chromoly shafts, Hydro assist, lockers, 4.56's, SYE, high steer, sliders, truss,

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 30 Oct 2011, 8:14 pm

Dutchboy101 wrote:
Get the warranty, I replaced 3 of the 5 KM2 tires I had on warranty.

Dang you came out way ahead.

For anyone interested i decided to be a geek and do some decision analysis. I found that in order for a warranty to be the best economic decision there would have to be a 31% or greater chance of any tire needing to be replaced. Obviously this is not the case for most tires sold, but with some of the stuff I drive through the chances of damaging one of my tires is probably about that over the next three years. So yea I will probably be buying the warranty. 

Last edited by XJcrawler on Sun 30 Oct 2011, 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

Number of posts : 481
Rig : 1986 CJ7
specs. : Not Much
Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 30 Oct 2011, 8:58 pm

You sure its only three years. My warranty on my BF's i got in april were lifetime, as long as there was legal tread it. I got it on my truck too and they just replaced a tire two days ago for a hole in the side wall, walked out with a brand new tire, 10 bucks. Very worth it.
Back to top Go down
https://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i399/shanerominger/
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 30 Oct 2011, 9:11 pm

Ya maybe they changed it recently it says good until legal tread or 3 yrs whichever comes first.
Back to top Go down
Duke
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Duke

Number of posts : 477
Rig : JEEP
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 30 Oct 2011, 10:21 pm

A majority of my tires are purchased at Discount Tire and I never spend the extra money for the certificates. They sell it to make money for them. They offer a prorated warranty for FREE. In 20 plus years of driving I never have damaged a tire on my daily driver they would not repair for free. For my wheelers I generally only put 1000 miles or so on them a year. I generally end up replacing tires every two or three years going up a size or changing things up so the tires never have enough tread wear that the free prorated warranty does not cover a 80-90% of the tire cost.
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeMon 31 Oct 2011, 9:09 am

Duke wrote:
A majority of my tires are purchased at Discount Tire and I never spend the extra money for the certificates. They sell it to make money for them. They offer a prorated warranty for FREE. In 20 plus years of driving I never have damaged a tire on my daily driver they would not repair for free. For my wheelers I generally only put 1000 miles or so on them a year. I generally end up replacing tires every two or three years going up a size or changing things up so the tires never have enough tread wear that the free prorated warranty does not cover a 80-90% of the tire cost.

Wow, what a different experience you and I have had. I've been with Discount Tire for 20 years and have replaced at least one tire on every vehicle I've owned, except my two current ones. I replaced three on one vehicle. At $225 each tire, that one vehicle period for all the certs I've ever bought, all by its self.
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

Number of posts : 481
Rig : 1986 CJ7
specs. : Not Much
Registration date : 2011-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeMon 31 Oct 2011, 9:16 am

I would say at least half of my flats are unfixable. Im not a fan of most warrantys, but i am a fan of discounts warranty. I have never heard of their free pro rated warranty. i bought a tire in corpus once when i got there on a trip. didnt get the warranty on it and got a flat on the way home. it was unfixable and i had to pay full price for the new one. needless to say i got the warranty on the new one and that was the one i just had replaced for 10 dollars.
Back to top Go down
https://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i399/shanerominger/
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeMon 31 Oct 2011, 10:21 am

I buy my tires and warranty from 4Wheel Parts. They offer a better no question ask warranty as they know you wheel your stuff.
When I went to Discount Tire they told me they wouldn't warranty offroad tire accicents, but only roadway hazzards. So if anything happens to your tire offroad, be sure mention that it happened while driving on a street or highway.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeMon 31 Oct 2011, 2:07 pm

Dutchboy101 wrote:
I buy my tires and warranty from 4Wheel Parts. They offer a better no question ask warranty as they know you wheel your stuff.
When I went to Discount Tire they told me they wouldn't warranty offroad tire accicents, but only roadway hazzards. So if anything happens to your tire offroad, be sure mention that it happened while driving on a street or highway.

hah Yeah, I've noticed that it's amazing how many tree branches you find on the roads now-a-days that just seem to hit just right an leave you with a sidewall puncture.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeTue 08 Nov 2011, 3:50 pm

On my old tow rig I got a small hole in the sidewall (a big nasty cactus thorn I think) in my special order ~34" Nitto Terra Grapplers while parked at K2 which I didn't even discover until after I'd towed it home. I was glad I had the free replacement since it was nearly new anyway, so it was there. Then again, the certs weren't $42 each but rather like $20 each, which helps make it even a better deal. Anyway, rather than another ~$300 for a tire, they just slapped a new one on, and I went on my way.
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeMon 12 Dec 2011, 10:47 am

Hook-Em wrote:
Duke wrote:

Wow, what a different experience you and I have had. I've been with Discount Tire for 20 years and have replaced at least one tire on every vehicle I've owned, except my two current ones. I replaced three on one vehicle. At $225 each tire, that one vehicle period for all the certs I've ever bought, all by its self.

I have an update on thus thread. As I type out this post on my phone, I'm sitting in the Discount Tire waiting room. They are replacing the right rear tire on my wife's expedition. The 275/55R20 tires run $210 installed and I bought the certs after giving her the vehicle last Christmas. The certs cost $27 each, so I just paid for all the certs and it hasn't even been a year yet.

I still say the Discount Tire certs are a must for any vehicle. Now if I can just get one of my Jeep tires replaced I'll have paid those certs off too.
Back to top Go down
Renny
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Renny

Number of posts : 153
Rig : JK 2010 Unlimited Sport
specs. : Tow package, New-to-me bumper, 35" BFG KM2's, Rigid industries fog lights, Ruggid Ridge transmission and oil pan skid plate
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 25 Dec 2011, 9:28 pm

Dutchboy101 wrote:

Thats not what the Bandera and 410 shop told me. I talked to Chance there as well as another employee. They said that they would infact cover off road hazzards I will give them a call here again tomorrow to verify that fact. Merry Christmas to all.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeMon 02 Jan 2012, 2:05 am

The only time I've had to take back a tire to Discount was a sidewall puncture on my tow rig due to a particularly nail-like cactus thorn out at K2. No questions were asked.
Back to top Go down
Renny
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Renny

Number of posts : 153
Rig : JK 2010 Unlimited Sport
specs. : Tow package, New-to-me bumper, 35" BFG KM2's, Rigid industries fog lights, Ruggid Ridge transmission and oil pan skid plate
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 08 Jan 2012, 10:47 am

Sorry I have not gotten to this like I Said I would. I will knock this out today. Have had some family issues that have taken priority.

Update:
Ok this took me a long time and I don't know why but here is what I was told by the guys at 2 different locations. 1604 and 410 off of Bandera.

Yes we will replace the tires pretty much with no questions. If you keep comming to us like every other week with a the need for a new replacement, it's going to be excessive and what we will do is talk to you about changing what you are running. We want to find you something that you are going to be happy with and not coming to us every other weekend for a new tire. We will do what we can to make the customer happy. Yes, it's not really meant to cover off road hazards but we want you happy. You buy off road tires, we know what you are going to use them for. It's silly to think that we wouldn't cover them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tire warranty worth it?   Tire warranty worth it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire warranty worth it?
Page 1 of 1