MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My New Off Road Trailer Project

Go down 
+3
Ingramsatx
r_unda
Beached Bum
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

Number of posts : 481
Rig : 1986 CJ7
specs. : Not Much
Registration date : 2011-02-06

My New Off Road Trailer Project Empty
PostSubject: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeThu 08 Mar 2012, 11:29 pm

So about 8 years ago I was at a friends house who had an old 70's beat up rotted boat behind his house. I told him we needed to fix it up and run it around the lake. Well he told me to take it home and do it myself, so it did, take it home that is. It was a yard orniment for many years until I tied the boat to a tree and pulled the 16 foot trailer out from under it. I was going to make the boat into a flower garden until a few days later some guy stopped my my house and wanted some parts off the motor. I told him if he wanted the parts, he would have to take the whole boat and motor with him, so he did. I decked the trailer and made it into a 16 foot flat bed and used it maybe twice and once again it was a yard orniment for years.

Well a few years ago I got into this off roading stuff and saw a few of ya'll with these cool off road trailers and thought I sure would love one of those. So last night I was fed up with trouble shooting my jeep problems so my buddy and I went to my property and ripped my once again old rotted beat up trailer out of the weeds and drug it into my garage.

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2513

My plans were to cut it somewhere behind the fenders and take about eight feet out of the center and splice it back together. So I started to take the fenders off and found something really cool. The spring and axle were attached to the same piece of angle the fender was. So once I took the bolts out of the fender the whole unit dropped to the ground. So I wouldn't have to splice it in the middle.

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2514

So I cut 8 feet off the end and used the channel I cut off for the now end of the trailer and replaced the cross member that used to be bent for the boat to drive up on with a straight one.

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2515

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2516

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2517

I cleaned up the rust and primed the fenders and the channels the fenders were going to attached to and reattached the fenders and axle.

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2518

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2519

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2520

Once it is done it will be an 8 X 5 trailer. For those of you who know me and my jeep I intend to remove my bottom rack and use the trailer in place of the rack. I'll post up more as I continue. Hope ya'll like it, I'm having a blast building it.

Back to top Go down
https://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i399/shanerominger/
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeFri 09 Mar 2012, 12:44 am

Sweet! can't wait to see the finished product!!
Back to top Go down
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

Number of posts : 251
Rig : 2006 TJ
specs. : More money than I care to admit.
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeFri 09 Mar 2012, 12:47 am

Looking good, Shane. Good size. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeFri 09 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

Nice job, will look good when it's done.
Back to top Go down
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

Number of posts : 50
Rig : 01 XJ
specs. : Clayton 3 link longarms, Klune V doubler, d300 tripple sticks, 35's, Chromoly shafts, Hydro assist, lockers, 4.56's, SYE, high steer, sliders, truss,
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

Nice man, definitely be cool to see how it turns out. I would like to build an "expedition trailer" one day.
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 10:37 pm

Base is stripped, primed, and ready for paint. Metal for the top is coming in tomorrow.

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2521

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2522
Back to top Go down
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 11:43 pm

Very nice. Looks like you will have plenty of room in front of the box for a nice tool/storage box.
Back to top Go down
Renny
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Renny

Number of posts : 153
Rig : JK 2010 Unlimited Sport
specs. : Tow package, New-to-me bumper, 35" BFG KM2's, Rigid industries fog lights, Ruggid Ridge transmission and oil pan skid plate
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeTue 13 Mar 2012, 10:17 am

Dang it, Working in Dutchboy's trailer, seeing your fun project, I wanna play! I guess I need to first get myself a welder.......one day.
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeTue 13 Mar 2012, 6:54 pm

The base painted, Metal didnt come in today. ugh

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2523

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2524
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeSun 18 Mar 2012, 11:54 pm

Well here it is, the final assembly. It's maiden voyage will be Thursday. Batjeep09 and I are headed down PINS with the families.

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2525

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2526

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2527

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2528

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2529

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2530[/url

[url=https://servimg.com/view/16476291/23]My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2531

My New Off Road Trailer Project 100_2532
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeMon 19 Mar 2012, 11:24 am

Looks great. I didn't take any pictures of my trailer. I think Renny did, so he might post some. Renny is my personal electrical expert Wink
He made my trailer look awesome, well at least at night. LOL J/K
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeMon 19 Mar 2012, 11:27 am

Yea. I haven't done my electrical yet. gonna do that tonight. ill take pics of it lighted up when I'm done with it
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeMon 19 Mar 2012, 11:32 am

Looks really good!
Back to top Go down
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeMon 19 Mar 2012, 11:50 am

Looks good Shane. Will make PINS and Big Bend a whole new experience.
Back to top Go down
Renny
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Renny

Number of posts : 153
Rig : JK 2010 Unlimited Sport
specs. : Tow package, New-to-me bumper, 35" BFG KM2's, Rigid industries fog lights, Ruggid Ridge transmission and oil pan skid plate
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeTue 20 Mar 2012, 3:22 pm

It's really beautiful! I love that color and the way the wood looks together. Very well done.
Back to top Go down
Beached Bum
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Beached Bum

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeTue 20 Mar 2012, 3:27 pm

Thanks for the positive feed back guys. Had alot of fun building it, Thanks to Batjeep09 for his help. Will have even more fun testing it out on the beach Thursday. Ill let you know how it fares.
Back to top Go down
Batjeep09
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

Number of posts : 143
Rig : 2009 2 Dr JK
specs. : Big tires, scratches, cb, winch, lights, bike rack, more scratches and Batman decals.
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitimeSat 24 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

Your welcome buddy. I think the trailer did great. It carried a lot, and I mean a LOT of gear and handled loose sand well. Especially for street tires. Now to build one for me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My New Off Road Trailer Project   My New Off Road Trailer Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My New Off Road Trailer Project
Page 1 of 1