MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My shocks died.

Go down 
+2
jkx0778
Danier
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Danier

Danier

Number of posts : 8
Rig : '99 TJ Sport
specs. : 4" Procomp lift
Registration date : 2012-01-09

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 3:05 pm

So I was on my way home after dropping my friend off and the guy behind me at the light honked at me and pointed at the ground. Then the guy beside me rolls down his window and lets me know that my entire shock was dragging on the ground. Confused as I've been I pull over to see that yes, in fact, my shock was dragging on the ground. Pretty funny now that I think of it but not good for my jeep.

Now that the story is out of the way the question is, where should I get new shocks? I had pro-comp shocks and the 4-wheel parts store here in SA sells them for $75. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything cheaper/better.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 3:33 pm

Danier wrote:
So I was on my way home after dropping my friend off and the guy behind me at the light honked at me and pointed at the ground. Then the guy beside me rolls down his window and lets me know that my entire shock was dragging on the ground. Confused as I've been I pull over to see that yes, in fact, my shock was dragging on the ground. Pretty funny now that I think of it but not good for my jeep.

Now that the story is out of the way the question is, where should I get new shocks? I had pro-comp shocks and the 4-wheel parts store here in SA sells them for $75. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything cheaper/better.

Well, you're asking for two different thinks there: 1) cheaper 2) better

So which are you looking for? for about $75.00 there are several shocks. The bilstein 5100s come to mind. Not sure on the procomp. Which model procomp are you running? I'd say the bilsteins are a provenly GOOD shock for the $$ your looking to spend. Then again, if you liked your procomps and are only looking to replace the 1 shock, then for me personally, I'd rather have a matching rear set then two different ones.

Just my $.02
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

If I were you, I would go ahead and spend a few more bucks on the shocks. I can't comment on that Pro Comp lift, as I don't view most of their stuff very highly, but assuming vaguely equal lift and joint design and otherwise no major suspension/tire issues, shocks are the single most important factor in ride and handling, both on and off road.

The minimum option I would suggest for a 4" lifted TJ would be the the Bilstein 5100 series specifically made for 4" lifted TJ's, part numbers 24-185400 (front) and 33-185514 (rear). Much better shocks for less about $5 more each. I run them and have had good luck with them. See their application guide PDF here: http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/BilsteinAppGuide308.pdf

Also seriously consider the Rancho 9000XL's. They're somewhat adjustable, which is nice especially if you want to ease up on the rocks, and they're generally a good quality shock with reliably consistent valving.

If you can swing it, go for the good stuff: Fox shocks specifically for your setup.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

I have the fox shocks now, and they are better for offroad. Not as nice for every day driving, but still tolerable. I had the Bilstein 5100 and those were awesome. Nice comfortable drive and decent offroad.

Back to top Go down
Ingramsatx
Poster child
Poster child
Ingramsatx

Number of posts : 251
Rig : 2006 TJ
specs. : More money than I care to admit.
Registration date : 2009-05-03

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 4:47 pm

I have 4 Procomp 3100 shocks (4" lift) off my 06 TJ. Make you an offer you can't refuse. PM me if you're interested.

Ray
Back to top Go down
Danier

Danier

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 5:02 pm

Those fox shocks are looking like something I'd be interested in. I was only going to go with the pro comps because that's what were on my jeep when I got it. Thanks for all the replies, you guys are very helpful.
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 5:11 pm

Bilstein 5100 are the way to go!!!!! You're on the road 95% off the time and the Bilstein are the best of both worlds. When my 5100 go out im going up to the adjustable Bilstein's.
Back to top Go down
Danier

Danier

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 5:44 pm

I'm a poor college student and $600 for two shocks sounds a lot worse than $250 for the two fox shocks. Sad. I would love to get the bilstein 5100's though. Maybe next time.

EDIT: oops didn't realize you get 4 shocks for $300, maybe i will go with the bilsteins.

EDIT2: I need to look around more before I post the wrong things. I like the RS9000XL's as well, the red would look real nice on my rig.
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 6:05 pm

yea Bilsteins are like $80.00 ea. Go to Marcus at River City Offroad or Chris at 4Wheel Parts. Either one of them can help you. Marcus is in Austin and can ship them to you. He does a lot of sales with the members. Chris is local and might have them in stock.
Back to top Go down
Danier

Danier

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitimeMon 12 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

Sweet thanks, I'll see Chris at 4wheel parts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My shocks died. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My shocks died.   My shocks died. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My shocks died.
Page 1 of 1