MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?

Go down 
+2
r_unda
Gonebald
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gonebald
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Gonebald

Number of posts : 12
Rig : 2001 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : Stock 2.5L 4 banger
Registration date : 2012-04-07

2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Empty
PostSubject: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeSat 07 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm

I have a 01' TJ with the 2.5L 4 banger. I don't mind having it I just wish I could sqeeze a little more power out of it. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeSun 08 Apr 2012, 12:19 am

Here is all I have in my 4cyl TJ.

Jet Chip II, ScreaminDemon Ignition, 24lbs injectors, 32mm TB & Spacer, Airaid Intake, Electric-Fan, Banks Header, DynoMax Super Turbo Cat Back, and the most important 4.88 gears.

At the end it is still the 4 cyl but I can keep up with traffic without a trouble with my 33" tires but I wont win any race with it.

Back to top Go down
Gonebald
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Gonebald

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeSun 08 Apr 2012, 11:15 am

Thank you for all of the great information. That is quite the list and quite helpful. One of my next purchases will be the TB spacer as well as an Airaid Intake. I realize whatever I do it will still be just a 4 banger but I don't want to fear a headwind on the interstate either. My goal is to keep up with traffic.
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 9:41 am

I have 3- 4 Bangers here at the house. Two are 98 TJs and one 99. The best thing we did to squeeze more power was to install a cold air intake (Airaid) with a throttle body spacer and installed a throttle body off a 6 cyl TJ. The bore size is bigger on the 6 cyl but will bolt right up to the 4 cyl intake. We found used TB on ebay for about 35-40 bucks. Just make sure the connectors match up correctly. This swap alone made a huge difference and was very cheap.
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

Number of posts : 371
Rig : 99 TJ
specs. : https://www.facebook.com/TexasHillCountryOffRoad
Registration date : 2010-06-28

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 4:57 pm

If you are on close to stock size tires, than the previous mentioned mods are the best. But if you have bigger tires, the best thing you can do is re gear. In my Jeep, none of these mods were really needed except for gears. It was the only dramatic difference. But yes, I still have all the performance mods I could get my hands on dangerdriving
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TexasHillCountryOffRoad
Gonebald
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Gonebald

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 7:01 pm

TOYZ_2 wrote:
I have 3- 4 Bangers here at the house. Two are 98 TJs and one 99. The best thing we did to squeeze more power was to install a cold air intake (Airaid) with a throttle body spacer and installed a throttle body off a 6 cyl TJ. The bore size is bigger on the 6 cyl but will bolt right up to the 4 cyl intake. We found used TB on ebay for about 35-40 bucks. Just make sure the connectors match up correctly. This swap alone made a huge difference and was very cheap.

So will I need a cold air intake for a 4 or 6 cylinder?
Back to top Go down
Gonebald
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Gonebald

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 7:05 pm

IntenseBlueSwamper wrote:
If you are on close to stock size tires, than the previous mentioned mods are the best. But if you have bigger tires, the best thing you can do is re gear. In my Jeep, none of these mods were really needed except for gears. It was the only dramatic difference. But yes, I still have all the performance mods I could get my hands on dangerdriving

Right now I do have stock sized tires but I will eventually be going to 33's along with a 4" lift. I was thinking of 4.56 gears also.
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 7:08 pm

For a set up that size you will need 4.88s at least. I run a similar set up on 33s, with 4.56s, and I have the 4.0L. With all the extra weight on there I could still use more power.
Back to top Go down
Gonebald
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Gonebald

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 7:12 pm

For a set up that size you will need 4.88s at least. I run a similar set up on 33s, with 4.56s, and I have the 4.0L. With all the extra weight on there I could still use more power.

Great to know.... thanks!
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 7:13 pm

CONVERSION!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gonebald
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Gonebald

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 7:19 pm

lonestar rubi wrote:
CONVERSION!!!!

I'm sorry I guess I don't know what you mean.
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 7:24 pm

He is "suggesting" an engine swap.
Back to top Go down
Gonebald
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
Gonebald

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeMon 09 Apr 2012, 7:37 pm

That is what I thought. My reasearch has shown that it would be cheaper just to buy a fixer upper Jeep with a 4.0 in it rather then go through all of the hassel of an engine swap. Bottom line is that I'm not that mechanically inclined.
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2012, 4:17 am

My wife has the 6 cylinder and yes it is faster than my 4 banger, but i do get a little better gas mileage than she does. My older son went wheeling months ago with some guys at Kleins Ranch and after wheeling all day they assumed he had a 6 cyl. He told them it was just a 4 banger and their comment was they would never talk bad about a 4 banger again.......
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

Big Mike wrote:

That is what I thought. My reasearch has shown that it would be cheaper just to buy a fixer upper Jeep with a 4.0 in it rather then go through all of the hassel of an engine swap. Bottom line is that I'm not that mechanically inclined.

Too bad. I know someone selling a 4.0L with auto trans and T-case and harness for $800.00 (firm). The engine has about 140K miles and the trans has about 10k miles, rebuilt by Jasper Auto.
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitimeTue 10 Apr 2012, 5:17 pm

jkx0778 wrote:
Big Mike wrote:

Too bad. I know someone selling a 4.0L with auto trans and T-case and harness for $800.00 (firm). The engine has about 140K miles and the trans has about 10k miles, rebuilt by Jasper Auto.

This is a good deal! If you decide to do it you will need to weld new frame motor mounts since the location is different.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?   2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2.5L 4 Banger... Is there a way to get more power?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Modified Tech-
Jump to: