MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Knocking at Startup

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kwonk

Kwonk

Number of posts : 4
Rig : 2007 JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : to be continued
Registration date : 2012-04-25

Knocking at Startup Empty
PostSubject: Knocking at Startup   Knocking at Startup Icon_minitimeThu 30 Aug 2012, 1:01 pm

Hey guys, I have an '07 JK Sahara, all stock. About 75k mi. Recently started a slight knocking at startup. Runs fine, just a little knock for about a second or two at start and will only do so after sitting awhile (over night, at work, etc.). Bought used at first of the year, have an extended warranty but just troubleshooting ideas to see if its a quick or easy fix before I take it in and have to pay the deductible and/or diagnostic.

Sorry if this problem has already been covered in another thread, browsed through and didn't see any.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Knocking at Startup   Knocking at Startup Icon_minitimeThu 30 Aug 2012, 2:04 pm

Someone more mechanically inclined will give you some pointers to look for.
I'm not that person.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Knocking at Startup   Knocking at Startup Icon_minitimeThu 30 Aug 2012, 2:46 pm

Some basics to try...

1) Check your oil. Low or gummy can oil lead to knocking. If it's really black, you need an oil change. I'd put some seafoam additive in your oil a day or two before you get it changed and drive it around. It should help to clean it out your engine.

2) Check your air filter.
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

Number of posts : 292
Rig : '08 Black JKU Rubi
specs. : Loaded with two carseats!!!
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Knocking at Startup   Knocking at Startup Icon_minitimeThu 30 Aug 2012, 10:42 pm

If it does it after it has been sitting for a while, I bet it is the oil filter. I had bad luck with the Fram filters, I would get a dry start every now and then if the jeep has been sitting. Either stick with the Mopar brand or I have had good luck with Mobil 1. The JK's filter is horizontal so sometimes the oil can drain out of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knocking at Startup   Knocking at Startup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Knocking at Startup
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: Welcome Fellow Jeepers! :: HELP!-
Jump to: