MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about 35" tires and knuckles...

Go down 
+2
jkx0778
Cdavis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cdavis
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Cdavis

Number of posts : 156
Rig : White 07 2dr X
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Empty
PostSubject: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jul 2008, 8:01 pm

If i go with 35" tires will that cause the knuckles to bend. I have heard that they will/can bend. What is the deal...any input and suggestions appreciated!

By the way i'm running 33 1250 R15s right now and i'm trying to figure out which 35" tire i want, but I don't want to go bigger if its going to cause damage. Thanks
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jul 2008, 9:24 pm

on that "other" forum, there have been several post from ppl with 33s & up stating there inner C's have bent from hard wheeling. the kind you like to do lol!

it may be my imagination, but i swear one of mine seems off. i will try a lazer alignment to make sure. they do seem kinda skinny to me though. As cheap as they are ($89.00 /set) the off-road evolution gussets seem like a good investment.
like the chromo axle shafts i got. i never broke a shaft or u-joint, but having stronger shafts that come with stronger u-joints seemed to make sense.

IMHO
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2008, 9:46 am

what richard said :agreed:
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2008, 9:52 am

Me, George & Jennie are running 35's as are a lot of folks on the other forum. Of course 35's are going to add extra stress on parts, so you will run the risk of breakage. But you run the risk of breakage any time you wheel.

George did break a front axle shaft last time at Shiloh. But he was attempting a difficult climb repeatedly until it broke. Was it the fault of the 35's? That probably contributed to it, but I wouldn't say it was the only cause - Geo's "never give up" attitude and use of the skinny pedal was more likely the root LOL along with the D30 being weak.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jul 2008, 9:55 am

I've been running 35s on my D30 and have broken steering gears before, but no driveline issues yet... gusseting the C's couldn't hurt and would be very beneficial I think.
Back to top Go down
bodyguy
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
bodyguy

Number of posts : 43
Rig : 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeMon 04 Aug 2008, 10:48 pm

Both of my inner C's are bent. I guess its time for a dynatrac or currie
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeMon 04 Aug 2008, 11:55 pm

jkx0778 wrote:
on that "other" forum, there have been several post from ppl with 33s & up stating there inner C's have bent from hard wheeling. the kind you like to do lol!

it may be my imagination, but i swear one of mine seems off. i will try a lazer alignment to make sure. they do seem kinda skinny to me though. As cheap as they are ($89.00 /set) the off-road evolution gussets seem like a good investment.
like the chromo axle shafts i got. i never broke a shaft or u-joint, but having stronger shafts that come with stronger u-joints seemed to make sense.

IMHO

'

all that sounds about right, if you wheel hard enough 33's will bust a d30 pretty easy

gusset's help for sure ........problem is to install them corectly the whole axle neeps to come apart so the ball joints are not damaged during welding....alot of folks are not doing this, they are keeping the c's cold the entire time , problem is you dont get good welds like that and with out good welds the whole thing is kinda pointless

just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 1:04 pm

Actually if one knows what they are doing you can weld those just fine without hurting them and have strong welds, I had mine welded on just the way I wanted, then again I have been welding for years so it wasn't that big of a deal, hope to have my own welder here soon.

Highly recommend the ORE C gussets and if you need a place that knows how to do it right let me know.
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeTue 12 Aug 2008, 2:03 pm

Please. do tell the name of the shop

SASQUATCH wrote:
Actually if one knows what they are doing you can weld those just fine without hurting them and have strong welds, I had mine welded on just the way I wanted, then again I have been welding for years so it wasn't that big of a deal, hope to have my own welder here soon.

Highly recommend the ORE C gussets and if you need a place that knows how to do it right let me know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitimeThu 14 Aug 2008, 10:26 pm

jonsjeep wrote:
Please. do tell the name of the shop

SASQUATCH wrote:

AEE - Customs (All American Enterprises) in Bacliff, TX. Jonathan is the owner, great guy, fellow Jeeper and does great work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about 35" tires and knuckles...   Question about 35" tires and knuckles... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about 35" tires and knuckles...
Page 1 of 1