MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Switch install

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

Switch install Empty
PostSubject: Switch install   Switch install Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2008, 11:51 am

Disconnect the ground terminal on the battery.
Don't blame me for any :explosive: if you do not do this.

Switch install Jeep_w10
Remove the side panel, insert a straightened coat hanger straight through the foam sealant, it may take a few tries.

Switch install Jeep_w11
Switch install Jeep_w10

The coat hanger comes out here, sorry the photo is a bit blurry. Embarassed

Switch install Jeep_w12
Switch install Jeep_w11

Attach the wires for the switch to the coat hanger. I used a crimp-on connector and electrical tape.

Switch install Jeep_w13Switch install Jeep_w12

Carefully pull the coat hanger and wires through the foam sealant.

Switch install Jeep_w13

Drill a hole in the dash panel and install the switch.
Terminate the wires with crimp-on connectors.
Connect the terminated wires to the switch.
Connect the other ends of the wires to what ever device(s) the switch will control. In my case it was a relay for a pair of off-road lights.
Re-connect the ground terminal on the battery.
Test your installed device(s)

Switch install Jeep_w14

This install required three wires because I used a switch with an indicator light. Typical switches may only require two wires.

Hope this helps. Very Happy

Last edited by JK_JOE on Sat 07 Mar 2009, 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Switch install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch install   Switch install Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2008, 12:28 pm

I did pretty much the same thing.

But Geo pointed something out to me this past weekend, and that is that you only need to run one wire thru the firewall. You just need to run the wire that feeds the relay. For the wire that feeds the light on the switch, you can just tap into any "keyed" hot wire (like the cigarette lighter) because that tiny little light is not going to draw enough power to worry about. And then the ground wire from the switch can go to any ground inside the cabin.

When Geo pointed this out to me, I realized that he was dead on. That little bit will definitely be helpful for me when I go to wire up switches for Shannon's massive amount of lights.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Switch install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch install   Switch install Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2008, 12:37 pm

Great write up. When I have my lights I might have to invite you over for a drink or two. Heck you live in my neighbourhood anyway!!!
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Switch install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch install   Switch install Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm

N2rock wrote:
I did pretty much the same thing.

But Geo pointed something out to me this past weekend, and that is that you only need to run one wire thru the firewall. You just need to run the wire that feeds the relay. For the wire that feeds the light on the switch, you can just tap into any "keyed" hot wire (like the cigarette lighter) because that tiny little light is not going to draw enough power to worry about. And then the ground wire from the switch can go to any ground inside the cabin.

When Geo pointed this out to me, I realized that he was dead on. That little bit will definitely be helpful for me when I go to wire up switches for Shannon's massive amount of lights.

Good tip, I saw a "one wire" schematic to use the switch to close the ground circuit but I was not sure about the indicator light.
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Switch install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch install   Switch install Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2008, 12:49 pm

Dutchboy101 wrote:
Great write up. When I have my lights I might have to invite you over for a drink or two. Heck you live in my neighbourhood anyway!!!

It would be my pleasure to lend you a hand. PM me when you get them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Switch install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch install   Switch install Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2008, 2:54 pm

It will be a little while. But nice to know someone close by that has done this before.
Back to top Go down
jflys yj
Got No Life
Got No Life
jflys yj

Number of posts : 886
Rig : 93 YJ
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Switch install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch install   Switch install Icon_minitimeTue 19 Aug 2008, 7:07 pm

nice dude
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jfly22
Sponsored content

Switch install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Switch install   Switch install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Switch install
Page 1 of 1