MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The steps to building my rig

Go down 
+6
jkx0778
jeeperjennie
JK_JOE
CRUX
jonsjeep
N2rock
10 posters
AuthorMessage
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

The steps to building my rig Empty
PostSubject: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 10:10 am

Could also be titled: How I mentally justified mod'ing my JK over the past year lol!

May 2007- My search began. I knew exactly what I wanted: X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, tow package, with all the available options

July 31, 2007- My search finally ends cheers (cha ching)

(straight off the lot)
The steps to building my rig 080207_18381

I had never wheeled in my life, and had no intention of wheeling it. It was meant to be a grocery getter. After a couple months, that 4wd shifter just kept tempting me. Then I heard about TX4WD was having a 101 Day at Spring Creek. I figured that would be the perfect chance to try out 4WD- just once! LOL

That 101 Day was such a thrill. I couldn't believe how much fun it was. So I started hitting the creek every chance I could. With these trips to the creek, I came to realize what a PITA disconnecting was. I had been eyeing bumpers already, and decided that if I got a Shrockworks Mid Width, and JKS quick disco's, then disconnecting would be much easier. I also realized a CB is a good thing for communicating on the trails. So I justified (to myself) the purchase of a CB, a Shrockworks bumper, and JKS disco's (cha ching).

January '08- joined the TX4WD for a trip to Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch. This trip brought about 2 changes- #1- it made me realized I needed better tires. And #2 (and this was a biggie!) I met George & Jennie- this was the biggest hit to my wallet ever !! (cha ching) LOL

February '08- found a set of Rubi wheels/tires (cha ching). YAY! I now have better tires! The same day I put the tires on, we went to visit a friend of ours that had just moved from Florida to some undeveloped land north of Huntsville. He was living in a camper back on this land about 100 yards off the road. Calling it a "road" is an overstatement. Just to get there we had to travel for many miles down 3 different dirt roads, each dirt road was less traveled the the previous. So by the time we got to his road, it was little more than a path. We took him into Huntsville for dinner, and picked up supplies for him. While in Huntsville a massive storm hit- and I mean MASSIVE. The roads back to his land were mud pits, and it was still storming hard. Then (since we had his supplies and it was pouring) I had to drive the 100 yards across that field to his camper. We unloaded in the pouring rain- and then I put those mud terrains to use. I trenched his field pretty bad getting out of there. Whew! So glad I put those tires on that morning.

We left, and on the way out we suddenly found ourselves faced with a flooded out road ahead of us- and there was no other route out. So I proceeded thru cautiously, nervously gripping the wheel, slowly watching the water getting higher and higher- at the deepest point it was up to the bottom of the doors (yikes!!!). Safe and sound on the other side (whew). Shannon says "you need a lift". A few weeks later I bought a used BB from a JK Forum member (cha ching). And with my new found friends (George & Jennie), I got it installed.

March '08- Planning for the trip to Longs begins. Looking at pictures of Longs, and hearing stories from TX4WD members that had been there made me think I should put a winch and Rubi Rails on (cha ching).

The trip to Longs was so much fun, but there were a couple obstacles that George had cleared that I got hung up on, which made me want bigger tires. I also realized that I was unable to remove my Freedom Panels with the Rubi Rails on- I needed sidesteps in order be able to remove them.

May '08- planning for the trip to Shiloh Ridge begins. So I talk to George about building me some sidesteps onto the Rubi rails so that I can ditch my factory sidesteps for good )cha ching). And the thought of getting larger tires begins eating at me. It was time to move up (cha ching)

August '08- The trip to Shiloh Ridge, and subsequent trip out to the creek showed me that the 35's rub the fenders a lot when flex'd. So I had to do something about that. Add on 2" Body lift (cha ching)

All this money spent, all this "one issue after another" to take care of... all of this because I wanted to go test the 4wd "just one time" LOL

The steps to building my rig Sep62008004

OK... if you've made it this far, you know the story thus far. So what will be the next hit to my wallet that I will justify "because I need it"? LOL I'm already planning on front and rear adjustable trackbars (so those don't count)... Beyond that- I already know what my "I need that" item will be... But lets see if any of you can guess it (George- your not allowed to guess because you already know what I want (cha ching)).
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 10:42 am

good story
Back to top Go down
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 10:42 am

Im going with " a second mortgage"for the "I need that".

But a winch is cheaper in the long run and probably more in line as far as "needs".
Lookin' really good man!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 10:46 am

where you been crux? missed ya lately
Back to top Go down
CRUX
Forum-ban-hammer-er
CRUX

Number of posts : 3197
Rig : 2007 JK RUBI unlimited
specs. : 3.5 Rock Krawler X-factor mid arm
Registration date : 2008-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 10:52 am

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis? :watchout:
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruzcreation.com
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 12:56 pm

CRUX wrote:
Im going with " a second mortgage"for the "I need that".

But a winch is cheaper in the long run and probably more in line as far as "needs".
Lookin' really good man!

Guess you missed the part where I bought the winch for Longs
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 2:24 pm

Great story.

I'm guessing lockers.
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 2:46 pm

ok I'm guessing a daily driver........so you can leave that baaddd momma at home!

The jeep looks sweeeeeeeeeeet!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 4:09 pm

great story. sounds some how familiar Wink
i'm guessing either gears or locker.

i just took that plung myself. shld hv my jeep bk on friday or saturday. 4.88s and ARB up front. leaving the rear LS for now. pockets are once again veeeeerrrrry empty Sad
Back to top Go down
Duke
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Duke

Number of posts : 477
Rig : JEEP
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 4:11 pm

jkx0778 wrote:
i just took that plung myself. shld hv my jeep bk on friday or saturday. 4.88s and ARB up front. leaving the rear LS for now. pockets are once again veeeeerrrrry empty Sad

Who are you having do it?
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 7:26 pm

Well, I have to agree with everyone that is one sweet looking jeep, you have built it up well!!! Nice story N2Rock!!

I am guessing a powerplant. bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
jflys yj
Got No Life
Got No Life
jflys yj

Number of posts : 886
Rig : 93 YJ
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 7:40 pm

i say you regear next
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jfly22
dabshr
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
dabshr

Number of posts : 59
Rig : 1984 CJ-8
specs. : BIG
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 8:13 pm

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitimeSun 07 Sep 2008, 11:22 pm

Duke wrote:
jkx0778 wrote:

Who are you having do it?

james at BOR. Damn, he's got like 20 rigs parked in his lot. i was gonna go with G but its a long drive and justifying the possible stay over to the wife. she pregnant & sometimes not the most rational or understanding right now No . I'd better just be glad she doesnt get 11 pm or worse, 2 am cravings, right? lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The steps to building my rig   The steps to building my rig Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The steps to building my rig
Page 1 of 1