MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Custom Power Distribution Block

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Raven
Poster child
Poster child
The Raven

Number of posts : 313
Rig : 09 X ulimited **1/2 doors**
specs. : 2.5" TF BB 35" KM
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Custom Power Distribution Block Empty
PostSubject: Custom Power Distribution Block   Custom Power Distribution Block Icon_minitimeWed 01 Oct 2008, 1:50 pm

Ok here is what I came up with. Btw everything is covered in looms and buttoned up it’s just easier to see when all the wires are exposed. This system will allow up to 6 circuits running 150 amps total or any single circuit running up to 30 amps. Typical set of 130 watt lights draws around 22 amps.

I started with my switches in the dash. I have not placed a 6th switch yet (I’m going to put it in the a pillar for a fan cut off) but I put in my 5 like this Custom Power Distribution Block DSC02235
Then I tapped into the M8 fuse in the fuse block designated for heated seats. This is only live with ignition. I piggy backed off of this with a 10 amp fuse and ran it into the cab and into this distribution block.
Custom Power Distribution Block DSC02237
I ran a wire to each switch. Then for ground I drilled a hole in the aluminum frame and installed a grounding stud, again running to each switch. Now each switch will come on only if the ignition is on. The red wires leading out to the engine bay find there way to a bank of relays attached to a Rockrash4x4 relay mounting plate.
Custom Power Distribution Block DSC02230
there is a fuse block attached to the plastic wall beside the battery.
Custom Power Distribution Block DSC02228
I used a 4ga battery cable to power the fuse box. You can see it in the relay pic. If I did it again I would grab power from the terminal in the fuse box instead of the battery for a cleaner install. Each line is then fused and sent to the corresponding relay.
Last order of business was to ground the relays. I ran each gound to the relays tapped mounted bolt, then grounded the entire plate using the bolt on the inner fender well right by the fuse box
Custom Power Distribution Block DSC02227
Now if I want to throw another set of lights or anything else pulling less than 30 amps all I have to do is hit one of the open relay terminals. My only concern is the new aux fuse block being open, but I’ve installed low amp fuses in all the “empty” spots, and they fit very tight in there. so far it has not been a problem (I’ve been running this for about 2 months) and I’ve run through lots of high water recently. Thanks to Ike and my need to explore. Including switches, relays, relay plate, wires, connectors, looms etc… I’ve got right at $90 invested. And getting to the factory fuses works the same way as before.Custom Power Distribution Block DSC02231
Back to top Go down
Contra
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Contra

Number of posts : 140
Rig : 1997 Wrangler TJ
specs. : 5.5" lift, Rough Country Discos and a Aussie Locker up front
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Custom Power Distribution Block   Custom Power Distribution Block Icon_minitimeSat 04 Oct 2008, 1:35 am

just a quick question

i see many people who never trim the zip ties

why is that

i trim all mine...
Back to top Go down
http://www.offroadjunkies.net
jkdrone
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Custom Power Distribution Block   Custom Power Distribution Block Icon_minitimeFri 27 Feb 2009, 12:43 am

Great job man! Looks good!

!c
Back to top Go down
The Raven
Poster child
Poster child
The Raven

Number of posts : 313
Rig : 09 X ulimited **1/2 doors**
specs. : 2.5" TF BB 35" KM
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Custom Power Distribution Block   Custom Power Distribution Block Icon_minitimeFri 27 Feb 2009, 8:15 am

i trim mine also, i was waiting on an order of looms to come in and decided to take pics while the wires were exposed. most of the zip ties came off the next weekend so i didn't bother trimming. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Custom Power Distribution Block   Custom Power Distribution Block Icon_minitimeFri 27 Feb 2009, 6:06 pm

that looks nice. I need to make one up for mine.... too much crap running around behind the dash is starting to get on my nerves. If I add any more power stuff I am going to need to make happen.

Good pics (and I am glad that you trim the cable ties....)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Power Distribution Block   Custom Power Distribution Block Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Write-up's & How-to's-
Jump to: