MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
matthew2000tx
Poster child
Poster child
matthew2000tx

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2008-01-27

2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Empty
PostSubject: 2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)   2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Icon_minitimeFri 24 Oct 2008, 11:24 pm

Ok so I'm finnally getting sick of my vibration I get at 50MPH it is getting harder to control the Jeep. This morning it was really bad it banged by knee up agaisnt the door and was joiting me around alot. And I just had the tires roated and balanced earilier this week.

I've got the 07' 2 dr x with 2.5"BB from Teraflex, with Skyjacker Shocks and Steering Stablizer. (New Socks and Stablizer made shake more noticable) I've got 33" on 17"" alloy rims.

In the garage still uninstalled I have front and rear full traction heavy duty track bars.

I did some calling around today and the suggestion of 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers in San Antonio ((yeah.. I know... they have issues and I knew I was talking to the devil!)) they said to help rid those vibrations I need to get an aftermarket C.V. Drive Shaft.
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=98&plID=0&partID=5651

Other Online dealers I talked to said the samething.

Before I wanted to make sure it wasn't something that might be under waranty so I went to the dealer and talked they drove my Jeep looked at balljoints, steering components, etc. Then the dealer said I need to get a C.V. Style Drive Shaft... then the mechanic at the dealer actually got around to looking at the drive-shaft and said it is a C.V. style one and I don't need to replace it. IS THAT CORRECT? Is the OEM rear one CV?

I think I might just have a bad balanced tire so I'll be going back to Discount Tire tomorrow, hope that fixes it. Then I think I'm going to finnally get around to getting the new Trackbars installed.

The funny thing is the vibrations comes and goes? Didn't feel at all this evening when driving home. Sometimes I feel it at 50mph sometimes I don't ???? It really doesn't matter if I'm accelrating or decelrating if it is there, it is there between 50-60mph. I've rotated and ballanced often and it still has never gone away.

Anyone have any clues to it I know a lifted Jeep is going to have some issues but this seems to be getting worse. Dealer says everthing in the front end is ok and the drive shaft angle is within the safe limits.
Back to top Go down
redneckhouston
#1 asshole
redneckhouston

Number of posts : 1161
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : 26" spinners, curb feelers, and 6 15 in woofers
Registration date : 2008-02-07

PostSubject: Re: 2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)   2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008, 12:18 am

try taking it to a good tire shop (i.e. not discount) and have it rebalanced,

if that dosent fix it , try swaping shocks with someone

it is NOT your driveshafts..............our ball type cv driveshafts do not vibrate unless they are damaged/ out of ballance

your driveshaft could be out of balance............

new aftermarket driveshafts vibrate like hell unless you install aftermarket control arms to corect pinion angle...

good luck

george
Back to top Go down
http://WWW.ROCKRASH4X4.COM

PostSubject: Re: 2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)   2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008, 8:51 am

I lifted my 08 5 1/2 inches and no vibration out of anything. Stock everything except front springs. NO vibration out of drive shafts, George is right about aftermarket too, I went ahead and had a new front shaft made and it vibrates now that I have 513 gears.

Question, did it vibrate before you lifted it?

If not, it's still not your drive shafts, too many people have lifted their rides without getting new shafts.

Paul.

Back to top Go down
matthew2000tx
Poster child
Poster child
matthew2000tx

PostSubject: Re: 2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)   2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008, 3:23 pm

I never really noticed the vibration before the lift.

There are the stages of my build up (suspension Wise):
1st Stage - (Oct 2007) Got a flat in crappy OEM tires from a thorn got New Rims and Tires (285x70x17s) (approx 33" x 10.5") - No Notiable shake (Tires rubbed plastic fender with full load of passengers and modest Flex so I started shopping to Lift)

2nd- Stage (Nov. 2007)- Intstalled Teraflex 2.5" BB with Shock Extender and not with the rear track bar relocation braket that I believe the bb ship with now : ( - Noticed vibrations... with MUTLIPULE Rotate/Balances on tires to get rid of shake. Eventually Front Drivers side tire was replaced by Discount Tire for being out-of-round... after replacement still had shaking?? Just decided to live with it.

3rd Stage-Oct 2008- Installed Skyjacker Shocks and Steerstablizer to get rid of tereaflex adapters was nervous about them breaking and or they could be cause of shake. Seems to have riased the Jeep a little- feels taller with new shocks - Shaking moved from mostly Steering and more noticalble in the whole vechicle, appears to be more violent. (Feel it not only in hands on wheel but also my ass on the seat!) However, it now Jeep is eaiser to steer and keep straight on highway despite more skaking? I've done a rotation and balances and it still seems the same. Yesterday I was noticing that sometimes I get a virbation and sometimes I don't.

- Yesterday took to dealer to have everything checked over- no noted damage/warnout parts anywhere on any suspension/steering components. Dealer said it could be coil spacers? Noted I don't need new Drive Shaft or Control Arms.

Next Plan of Action: Rebalance Tires using NON-Sticky weights if possible I want clip on so I know I'm not throwing tire weights! Then Install the Fulltraction Adjustable Track Bars I have for the Front and Rear that have been sitting in my garage since July.

Future Plans- 3" Coils! 33x12.5s"
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: 2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)   2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Icon_minitimeSat 25 Oct 2008, 10:32 pm

it may be the steering stabilizer or ur drag link is out of phase with the track bar.
Back to top Go down
matthew2000tx
Poster child
Poster child
matthew2000tx

PostSubject: Re: 2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)   2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Icon_minitimeSun 26 Oct 2008, 10:03 pm

jonsjeep wrote:
it may be the steering stabilizer or ur drag link is out of phase with the track bar.

So how can that be corrected or even checked?
Back to top Go down
PJ
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
PJ

Number of posts : 126
Rig : 2DR Wrangler
specs. : 35x12.50 FT 3"
Registration date : 2008-02-08

PostSubject: trackbars!!!   2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2008, 12:04 am

You have to install those trackbars front and rear. That will help out alot. I still have a little vibes at high speeds but it's bearly noticable.
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: 2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)   2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Icon_minitimeMon 27 Oct 2008, 2:45 am

ok I have 7in of lift on the front and 5in of lift on the rear factory track bars and factory drive shafts and no vibrations, its got to be your tires.....geo was having bad vibrations a few weeks ago got new tires and all vibrations went away........a bad balance job can give you all kinds of vibs......you would be amazed at how much your tires affect your ride......I was having issues with my Jeep drifting and it was a tire issue had the tires fixed and it drove fine.

Years ago we had a Ford Truck we went and got tires put on it at discount....we couldn't get those tires to stay balanced for crap we had all sorts of vibs...we took it back 4 or 5 times still had the same issues...Geo took it to a small backwoods tire shop, had them rebalanced and guess what....we never had a problem again......the moral here is Discount tire Sucks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)   2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 Dr JK Drive Shaft ?'s (CV or not??)
Page 1 of 1