MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Budget Boost?

Go down 
+10
skoalman
..::Ryan::..
Hutch
terrahawk
jonsjeep
Ben
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
N2rock
MudHound
texas2386
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Budget Boost? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Sep 2009, 10:37 am

Heh, well, I run my 35's on a 15x8 wheel Smile

OK, so you found a happy exception to the rule that has to do with early adopter availability of the 16" size. From what I've noticed, the selection of available sizes is less, and actually stocked inventory is less. Maybe that's just anecdotal.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Sep 2009, 10:50 am

well... As I pointed out- the auto manufacturers are moving away from 15" wheels. That means a higher demand for the 16" - 18" sizes. So yeah, right now it might be easier to find 15" sizes based on the simple fact that there is less demand for them, and higher demand for the upper sizes. But supply and demand dictates that the tire manufacturers (and sellers) will begin making/stocking less 15" size. So while the 15" might be more readily available right now. That will change.

And as I also pointed out- JK's are not as easy to fit with 15" wheels, and we are talking about a JK here... Also as pointed out- the difference is only 1/2" of sidewall. That will make zero difference for wheeling. The only difference that will make is purely cosmetic- a 35" mounted on 15" wheels makes the tire appear huge. But performance wise, it won't make any difference.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Sep 2009, 11:56 am

well said n2rock
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Sep 2009, 4:50 pm

N2rock wrote:
... The only difference that will make is purely cosmetic- a 35" mounted on 15" wheels makes the tire appear huge. But performance wise, it won't make any difference.

not 100% accurate. a 16" wheel/tire combo will usually handle better on the road than a 15" wheel with the same size tire. better lateral support when cornering. but it's a moot point.

X2 on the 16" wheel. so i agree 99.5% with everything N2 said.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009, 7:59 pm

N2rock wrote:
well... As I pointed out- the auto manufacturers are moving away from 15" wheels.
Where did you hear this? I'm not saying you're wrong, necessarily, just that this is the first I've heard of it. Either way, are you saying 16" is a more common size than 15?

Quote :
And as I also pointed out- JK's are not as easy to fit with 15" wheels, and we are talking about a JK here... Also as pointed out- the difference is only 1/2" of sidewall. That will make zero difference for wheeling. The only difference that will make is purely cosmetic- a 35" mounted on 15" wheels makes the tire appear huge. But performance wise, it won't make any difference.
Whether it makes enough difference is a separate question, but sure, if 15's don't work, then why not just go with 17's, which are far more common than 16's? Not a big deal, I guess. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why someone would choose 16's.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 8:03 am

Deacon wrote:

Whether it makes enough difference is a separate question, but sure, if 15's don't work, then why not just go with 17's, which are far more common than 16's? Not a big deal, I guess. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why someone would choose 16's.

Jesus dude- I swear to god you just fuggin love to argue!

WHY would you chose 15" over 16", 17" or 18???

OK... 16" is CHEAPER than 17"- got it?

The OP has 18"- any size is less expensive than 18". 17" is cheaper than 18". 16" is cheaper than 17". 15" is cheaper than 16" BUT on a JK 15" is harder to fit. So it make perfect sense to go to 16" because they are the least expensive that you can fit without worrying about fitment issues.

The advice given to the OP was: for the price difference between staying with his stock 18" size or going with a 16" size, was enough difference to virtually pay for a set of 16" Crager steelies. Makes perfect sense! YOU took it off into the "why not go 15"" argument. To which I provided valid reasons of why not to. So you start arguing for 17". WTF?!?!?

Wrap your head around that. Quit being so fugging dense! And quite arguing for the sake of arguing.

Shit Deacon- twice in this thread now you have hijacked it to argue with VALID advice we are giving a JK owner.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 12:03 pm

N2rock wrote:
Jesus dude- I swear to god you just fuggin love to argue!
Heh, if I'm not satisfied that it's correct or accurate, then yeah, I need to figure it out Smile

Quote :
If that's the case, then yeah, it makes sense. That doesn't jive with my limited hearsay information on it, which was that 16" is more expensive than 17" normally, explained by 16" being more rare and thus more of a niche product, but if that's not true, if it turns out that 16" really is cheaper and the selection really is just as good, than yeah, it makes sense.

See? That wasn't hard Smile

Quote :
YOU took it off into the "why not go 15"" argument. To which I provided valid reasons of why not to. So you start arguing for 17". WTF?!?!?

Wrap your head around that. Quit being so fugging dense! And quite arguing for the sake of arguing.

Shit Deacon- twice in this thread now you have hijacked it to argue with VALID advice we are giving a JK owner.
If you check your wheaties, I guarantee you won't find a single piece of my excrement... Try not to read everything I post as though it were some sort of attempt to pick a fight or whatever, as compared to airing out different opinions and options--even if they differ from yours.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 1:05 pm

Deacon wrote:
[ which was that 16" is more expensive than 17" normally, explained by 16" being more rare and thus more of a niche product

Note: Tires for 16" and 18" wheels are primarilly available in metric sizes which is why they cost more.

Now, this thread needs more cowbell.
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 1:08 pm

Oh yeah, COWBELL!

Budget Boost? - Page 3 Morecowbell3
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

Number of posts : 601
Rig : yellow, six speed, vinyl, no carpet or rear seat
specs. : rubi takeoffs 2.5" RC spring lift
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 2:35 pm

Budget Boost? - Page 3 28tzu54
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 2:58 pm

Deacon wrote:

Heh, if I'm not satisfied that it's correct or accurate, then yeah, I need to figure it out Smile

Translation: I like to argue on internet message boards about useless information that doesn't affect my life in one way or the other.

Deacon wrote:

Quote :
If that's the case, then yeah, it makes sense. That doesn't jive with my limited hearsay information on it, which was that 16" is more expensive than 17" normally, explained by 16" being more rare and thus more of a niche product, but if that's not true, if it turns out that 16" really is cheaper and the selection really is just as good, than yeah, it makes sense.

Just for shits and grins- why not just go check some online tires for price comparison?

OK just for the helluvit at random (picked the websites off the top of my head, and picked the tires at random)

Discount Tires, BFG AT's... 16" size = $215, 17" size = $244

Quadretec, INTERCO TrXus Mud Terrain Tire... 16" size = $201, 17" size = $239

4wd.com, Procomp Mud Terrain... 16" size = $282, 17" size = $303

See? That wasn't hard! Razz

Deacon wrote:

If you check your wheaties, I guarantee you won't find a single piece of my excrement... Try not to read everything I post as though it were some sort of attempt to pick a fight or whatever, as compared to airing out different opinions and options--even if they differ from yours.

wtf-ever Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 3:01 pm

You guys really like each other don't you? Budget Boost? - Page 3 Lol
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 3:32 pm

I wasn't aware of a problem before.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 3:42 pm

yeah, me and D3ACON just like to argue
Back to top Go down
texas2386
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
texas2386

Number of posts : 72
Rig : '09 Wrangler Sahara
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 3:57 pm

haha....thanks for all the good info (didn't mean to pick a fight, lol).
Back to top Go down
jonsjeep
Pathetic
Pathetic
jonsjeep

Number of posts : 2345
Rig : 2007 sahara unlimted
specs. : 5.5 rockkrawler mid arm with 39's rancho rear bumper pure jeep front bumper dana 44 front axle, no carpet and a funny dusty smell
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 4:22 pm

that is why N2Rock is number 2 asshole. Sheesh don't take it so literal. He is just razzing you Deacon
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 4:44 pm

I have wondered about that, who is the number 1 asshole?
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 4:47 pm

Ben wrote:
I have wondered about that, who is the number 1 asshole?

http://www.myjeepforum.net/profile.forum?mode=viewprofile&u=18
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ennis Del Mar
Ben

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Sep 2009, 5:09 pm

Lol, he is a funny man though! Don't worry N2, I will always consider you my #1 asshole! Wait, this is the wrong thread for that. I think that is the sparkle balls thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Budget Boost?   Budget Boost? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Budget Boost?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3