MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK

Go down 
+8
JK-fredd0
Bizarro
Dern
Dutchboy101
JK_JOE
xxXJohnny
Mr.RonGilbert
4x4x4
12 posters
AuthorMessage
4x4x4
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
4x4x4

Number of posts : 86
Rig : 2009 JK Unlimited
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Empty
PostSubject: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 6:22 pm

Got this idea from another site but it works well. I simply made spacers (7 total) from 1" X 1/4" bar stock 3' long ($8.00) from Lowes. You install the spacers under the seat brackets so the bottoms lift up in the front and the backs tilt back just a little. It really doesn't look like much, but the difference is very noticeable. If you have spent any time in the back you would know the seats sit too straight up to be comfortable on longer trips. I was asked if you could just put washers under the plates. Yes of course, but I like the concept of putting something under the plate with more surface area. I don't like the idea of bolting the seats down on top of multiple washers stacked. You can decide what works for your home-brew engineering
Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Seatbarstock

18mm socket and breaker bar
These suckers are in there tight. Did I say : These bolts are in there tight. You will need a breaker bar and some serious muscle to get these out.
Unbolt the 4 feet and move the bottoms up with bungee cords to keep them out of the way. I took my rear doors off to get in and out better also.
The next part was hard to understand without looking at the seats and the brackets underneath. You need to take out the 3 bolts on the bottom section of the L brackets that hold the upright portion of the seat. The bottoms of the L brackets will move the seats back just a little but it really makes a difference. I loosened the 3 bolts on the top of the L bracket to make sliding the stock under them easier. Cut the stock 2 1/2" long, drilled holes for the bolts, painted them, and installed them. The bolts are more than long enough to do this without worry but if your concerned don't do it. Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_biggrin
Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Recliningplate
Next cut 4 pieces 2 1/2" long, drilled holes for the bolts, painted them to prevent rust, and installed them under the four feet in the front. (Pictured)This lifts the bottoms so they support your legs better. You don't have to do this part but it does help and you have to take out the bolts to get to the bolts for the back anyway. I left this one a little long so you could see it under the foot. -Maybe is was just longer than the rest - you decide.
Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Seatplate

All done and it does feel better for the rear passengers. Of course this doesn't do me any good. Was this worth all the work? ....
Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Rearseats
Yes, if you ask someone that sits in the back most of the time!
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 9:58 pm

Why not just stack some washers under there..... (I couldn't resist.... Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_razz )
Back to top Go down
xxXJohnny
Got No Life
Got No Life
xxXJohnny

Number of posts : 1052
Rig : 2010 Challenger
specs. : Nemesis package
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeThu 24 Dec 2009, 11:03 pm

Good idea and nice write up
Back to top Go down
4x4x4
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
4x4x4

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeFri 25 Dec 2009, 12:32 am

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
Why not just stack some washers under there..... (I couldn't resist.... Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_razz )

Merry Christmas!
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeFri 25 Dec 2009, 1:26 am

haahaaa... I saw the guy do that on JKO and thought.. "what a shit" but couldn't resist when given the chance!

I didn't realize that they were so straight up and down until you brought it to my attention... that is an easy fix.
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeFri 25 Dec 2009, 12:22 pm

Cool, wish I had a 4 dr. to try it out.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeFri 25 Dec 2009, 9:18 pm

JK_JOE wrote:
Cool, wish I had a 4 dr. to try it out.

I think you just volunteered yourself to a new project. hack
Back to top Go down
Dern
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Dern

Number of posts : 404
Rig : 07 Rubicon Unlimited
Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec 2009, 1:53 am

JK_Joe your more then welcome to put them on my jeep.
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec 2009, 11:35 am

I never noticed how much lean or lack of is in the back seat. Your after shot looks like more than a 1/4" lean so it had to have something there originally. Does this bracket have any impact on laying the seats down flat?
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec 2009, 12:07 pm

Thanks a lot Dutch & Dern.

Of all the damn wishes I made for Christmas, this is the one I get, twice!!! Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_cry
Back to top Go down
4x4x4
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
4x4x4

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeMon 28 Dec 2009, 4:31 pm

Bizarro wrote:
I never noticed how much lean or lack of is in the back seat. Your after shot looks like more than a 1/4" lean so it had to have something there originally. Does this bracket have any impact on laying the seats down flat?

The addition of the 1/4" spacer has no effect on laying the seats down flat.
Back to top Go down
JK-fredd0
Got No Life
Got No Life
JK-fredd0

Number of posts : 812
Rig : 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeMon 28 Dec 2009, 11:57 pm

me too? Smile
JK_JOE wrote:
Thanks a lot Dutch & Dern.

Of all the damn wishes I made for Christmas, this is the one I get, twice!!! Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_cry
Back to top Go down
bustr

bustr

Number of posts : 2
Rig : 2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeTue 29 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm

I see this project in my future. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
Renny
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Renny

Number of posts : 153
Rig : JK 2010 Unlimited Sport
specs. : Tow package, New-to-me bumper, 35" BFG KM2's, Rigid industries fog lights, Ruggid Ridge transmission and oil pan skid plate
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeWed 30 Nov 2011, 7:46 pm

Looks like I have some work to do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
texas-kid
Poster child
Poster child
texas-kid

Number of posts : 321
Rig : 07 jk 2 dr red rock
specs. : A couple of scratches, dents and a few broken parts now and then!!!
Registration date : 2008-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeWed 30 Nov 2011, 10:59 pm

Washers work well!!!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitimeSun 04 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

Great write up! rock
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK   Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Better Angle Rear Seat Unlimited JK
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MyJEEPforum.com :: JEEP TECH :: Write-up's & How-to's-
Jump to: