MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My CB and antenna install

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

Number of posts : 697
Rig : 2010 JK unlimited
specs. : changing daily...
Registration date : 2009-12-14

My CB and antenna install Empty
PostSubject: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 4:24 pm

First off, Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

I wanted my CB out of the way, but still easily removeable. So after much deliberation and drinking of Rum, here's what I wound up with...

This is an old Cobra 29ltd Harley Davidson edition that I bought back years ago and mothballed after selling the CJ I had it in.
Ran the power from the battery and mounted the unit on top of the sound bar on the passenger side. Installed a speaker on the drivers side by cutting a space out in the foam padding so it was completely hidden.

My CB and antenna install Img00011
Ran my coax under the padding cover all the way to the tailgate then under the little plastic cover and out to the spare mount.

I wanted the antenna in the center of the Jeep, and since I've removed my third brakelight, this seemed like a viable mounting setup
My CB and antenna install Img00012
Turns out... Not so much... It wouldnt quite clear the spare tire, I couldnt get the SWRs set, it was a bitch gettin it centered, and the quality of the mount sucked overall. My CB and antenna install Icon_mad

So I drank a bit more rum, scratched my head, and came up with this...

I bought two of the mirror clamp style mounts ($10), discarded the curved backing plate and bolted them together like so...
My CB and antenna install Img00110
Measures for center and made sure I had clearance for the spare tire, then bolted it down.

I ran my ground wire thru the vent in the tailgate to the tub, then connected it to one of the four bolts that hold the two mounts together.
My CB and antenna install Img00111

My CB and antenna install Img00112

Oh, and I painted the antenna black and while I was painting I did this... My CB and antenna install Suspect My CB and antenna install Fresse
My CB and antenna install Img00411
My CB and antenna install Img00412

I finished up about midnight, so I didnt get any pics of it with the spare on and the antenna, but I'll try to get some and post them up tonight. It all looks good and everything seems to be working. Gonna try to test it on the way home today. Not many truckers in this area...
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 4:41 pm

I can't believe it took me about 20 back-n-forths to figure out what the difference was between the 2 dashboard pics.

ran out of gas, opened the tail gate, took the key out..... oh duh
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 4:42 pm

Looks good, the position of the CB Radio wouldn't work for the guys with a hard top.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 4:44 pm

Bizarro wrote:
I can't believe it took me about 20 back-n-forths to figure out what the difference was between the 2 dashboard pics.

Funny enough, the silver color on the dash is an upgrade, and he just colors right over them. lol. Don't the X's come blacked out from the factory?
Back to top Go down
Bizarro
Golden Child
Bizarro

Number of posts : 614
Rig : Yellow '08 JK 4 door
specs. : 3" Teraflex lift, 35x12.5x17 KM2
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 5:02 pm

Yea X's come with that blacked out already.
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

PostSubject: Re: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 9:00 pm

Bizarro wrote:

Lol. I hated the silver, it just looked our of place to me...

Dutchboy101 wrote:
Looks good, the position of the CB Radio wouldn't work for the guys with a hard top.

Yeah, I didnt realize that the hard top had less headroom till I looked at a one in rockport the other day.

damn, no comments on my ingenuity with the antenna mount? hmm maybe if I'd painted it black.....
Back to top Go down
jeff.lyon3
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeff.lyon3

Number of posts : 2295
Rig : 07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 9:36 pm

GULF COAST PIRATE wrote:

damn, no comments on my ingenuity with the antenna mount? hmm maybe if I'd painted it black.....

No one here has any opinions My CB and antenna install 508968

I put mine in the same place. Was able to drill a hole in the tire carrier and mount it. It touches the spare but not too bad.
Back to top Go down
GULF COAST PIRATE
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
GULF COAST PIRATE

PostSubject: Re: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010, 9:43 pm

Mine clears the spare by about 1/2 and inch. Tested it out today, talked to a guy about half a mile away.
Back to top Go down
JK_JOE
Got No Life
Got No Life

Number of posts : 815
Rig : R.I.P.
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan 2010, 12:29 am

Dash looks good My CB and antenna install Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My CB and antenna install   My CB and antenna install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My CB and antenna install
Page 1 of 1