MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mod Opinions Please!

Go down 
+13
Tvernon
redneckhouston
martij3
Deacon
Mr.RonGilbert
jeff.lyon3
Great Pumpkin
jkx0778
Dutchboy101
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
terrahawk
Bizarro
JK4AER
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 1:00 pm

I actually agree wholeheartedly with redneckhouston. It's one thing I wish I'd done before sinking thousands of dollars into my rig, most of which I'll never get back out (not even in joy). There are easier and better ways to learn that lesson (it still smarts a little), and I'm still kind of chasing my tail on it.

Your Rubi is an incredibly capable vehicle as-is, without any further modifications. Like George said, the reality is that its existing capabilities probably exceed your own, depending on your experience and testosterone level. When I finally get my rig back this weekend, my feeling is I'll likely be at that point myself, lacking more on the experience scale than the testosterone though Laughing

terrahawk wrote:
Not selfish or irresposible at all if they have tow points and recovery straps.
I disagree, and I gave an example of why earlier. Depending on everyone else to bail you out isn't even always a possibility in the first place, and sometimes it just makes things worse. A winch is both inexpensive and invaluable, cheap insurance.
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 2:30 pm

We will agree to disagree.

What is irresposible is the guy that doesn't maintain his / her rig and goes out on a trail with the likelihood of it breaking down and doesn't have any recovery gear. That's the person who will ruin everybodies day, not the person that doesn't have a winch, but is prepared otherwise.
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

Number of posts : 292
Rig : '08 Black JKU Rubi
specs. : Loaded with two carseats!!!
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 3:26 pm

I do think the best advice for me is to hold off on anything major until I get on the trails more, which I basically already knew but didn’t want to admit to myself! I would definitely rank myself as a beginner and do think that my stock Rubi is more capable than my skills and guts will allow. However, doing the mods I originally listed is twofold: to make my rig more capable and because I like them.

I guess the main point of my original post was what should I do first, lift and tires or winch and bumper considering budget and that I’m a novice at best? I’m thinking that I go with the following for now until I get a better feel of the JK and the direction I want to go:

1. Warn M8000 Winch (or other)
2. LoD Mid-Width Front Bumper

3. Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift w/Shocks (may decide to add if I get a lot of sag due to the winch and bumper, otherwise I’ll hold off a bit, I
would keep the stock tires)

4. Then the rest of the stuff (over time) I listed starting with tires (may add the Currie anti-rock system, gears, and gussets to the list).

Also, if I decide to go with the wheels I like before upgrading tires, would the stock 10” wide Rubi tires fit/seat ok on an 8.5” rim?

I would like to get up to K2 this weekend but unfortunately I can’t make it. We have extended family in town and I also don’t have much free time right now with the little ones (once they are old enough to bring along, then you all will be seeing more of my pretty face! Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_razz ).

Thanks again! Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
terrahawk
Got No Life
Got No Life
terrahawk

Number of posts : 1593
Rig : 2007 Sahara dos puertas
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 3:58 pm

How about this intead?

Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 100_0622

Winch and lights not included.
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 4:02 pm

terrahawk wrote:

How about this intead?

I want more protection up front than a stubby but don't quite want a full-width bumper, which is why I settled on the mid-width.

Someone on here mod'ed the stock bumper to fit a winch, don't recall who though. I thought it looked good and would save some dough in the interim.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 4:17 pm

Yeah, surely the Rubi tires should fit on an 8.5" wide rim. How wide is the stock rim? I'm running 35x12.50-15's on 8" wide rims without issue (and they hold a bead better when aired down vs 10" wide rims).

I know I've already revealed my bias, but I think the bumper/winch option is probably the best way to go if you're actually planning to wheel it much, especially since if you DO get stuck because you're not running 42" Bias Swampers on beadlocks, you have a way to deal with it Smile

Jody, we may have to agree to disagree on this one, but I think your elaboration actually might help clarify something: yes, the guy who shows up with no recovery gear at all is certainly worse than the guy who only shows up with tow hooks and a strap. No doubt. I guess we may just disagree on what's an acceptable level of participation in the recovery process. I just don't like the attitude that you don't need any self-recovery capacity because someone else will be able to bail you out. I've been rather extensively inconvenienced because of that. The good news is that the culprit went out and bought a winch the next day, so at least one of his little group would have one. Three Jeeps and no winch meant a stuck Jeep stayed stuck in that case.

EDIT: Last time out at Port A I forgot my winch controller back at the motel room and failed to tug a truck out of the sand. Renee hooked up her winch and pulled him right out. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, as is this one, where two TJ's are trying to tag-team a pull on a Cherokee who's stuck in the slop. Just doesn't seem like the way I'd want to go:

Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 31039_519964401491_148000402_30815977_7130189_n
Back to top Go down
DangerMouse
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
DangerMouse

Number of posts : 666
Rig : 2005 Jeep Wrangler Willys Edition
specs. : Pro Comp lift, soft 8 wheels, 33x13.5x15 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 5:55 pm

Don't get Deacon started on cellphones!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
mvnolan
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
mvnolan

Number of posts : 53
Rig : 07 2dr X
specs. : 35" Mud Country's, 5.13's, 3 inch lift. RR XHD stubby and a warn 9.5ti.
Registration date : 2009-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 6:55 pm

If you've never wheeled it before:
1st. Go hit it with a sledge hammer, this makes you not care about trail damage anymore. Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 26629
2nd. Spray the radio with the hose, no more worries about rain or water. Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Lol
3rd. George is right, go wheel it bone stock, see what YOU are really capable of, the Jeep can take care of itself.
As far as tires, go with the 35's and the regear, George just did mine, BEST. MOD. EVER!!! GET THE WINCH!!! Enjoy yourself, make it capable, it will never be pretty, or comfortable, but it will be unique. Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 3119 Welcome to the sickness.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 7:27 pm

I wouldn't stress about regearing right away. I run 35's on 4.10's and it runs just fine. I would like to regear at some point, just not top priority.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 8:00 pm

You know, on the regear now I'm wondering if he's running the 6-speed or an automatic. I'm not intimately familiar with JK's, but wouldn't that make a difference, as the two are geared differently? Sure as hell makes a difference on a TJ at least... A TJ with 3.73's can run 33's just fine with the 6-speed, so 4.10's and 35's, while not necessarily ideal, seem like they'd be fine.
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 8:58 pm

terrahawk wrote:

How about this intead?

Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 100_0622

MEH...! LOD ALL THE WAYYYZZ!!! I'll get the same real soon!!! Jody, you need to put that 80's style, TJ hooker tube bumper from that Jeep in your garage on YOUR RIG!!! It would look so much lovelier!

Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 9:16 pm

I think someone wants a BFH on front...... just a guess...
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 9:18 pm

Deacon wrote:
Yeah, surely the Rubi tires should fit on an 8.5" wide rim. How wide is the stock rim? I'm running 35x12.50-15's on 8" wide rims without issue (and they hold a bead better when aired down vs 10" wide rims).

The stock Rubi wheels on a JK are 17"x7.5" with 6.5" BS (I think).
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 9:20 pm

Deacon wrote:
You know, on the regear now I'm wondering if he's running the 6-speed or an automatic. I'm not intimately familiar with JK's, but wouldn't that make a difference, as the two are geared differently? Sure as hell makes a difference on a TJ at least... A TJ with 3.73's can run 33's just fine with the 6-speed, so 4.10's and 35's, while not necessarily ideal, seem like they'd be fine.

I have an automatic with 4:10s. I think I've over analyzed the reqear deal. I could probably get away with the Flashpac for a bit. As my DD it's mostly city driving so I should be ok until I feel like giving Rock Rash 4X4 $999!!
Back to top Go down
potlickinpirate
Got No Life
Got No Life
potlickinpirate

Number of posts : 898
Rig : 73 cj5
specs. : lined the whole thing
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 10:30 pm

Deacon wrote:

The big difference is the torque. The TJ straight 6 makes mucho more and at lower RPMs than the JK V6. Even if the numbers are close, the feel is completely different. "V" style engines typically have to have RPMs to make power while inline engines have "grunt" right from idle...

That is what I have expirienced

As far as JKAER I like the way you are going about this, and I would "try" before you "buy" ---ie---run the tires and see how it fits your driving style, then make the call on gears.

Hows that for saving a Hyjack?......
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 10:33 pm

Deacon - you're on the right track with the auto vs 6 speed in the JK. They are geared differently. The 6 speed doesn't need as deep of a gearset to be on an equal playing field with the auto.
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 11:51 pm

How did I forget about the BigT......

Scratch all those mods and put a Hemi in that sucker!!!

Whoop!!!!! Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 8:08 am

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

Now yer talkin!!!!
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 8:31 am

thebigtman wrote:
Mr.RonGilbert wrote:

Now yer talkin!!!!

At the risk of derailing my own topic, what all is involved in doing this? I don't need the little details, but what are the major items to upgrade (i.e. axles, tranny, etc.)? I've seen someone post that it's mostly a bolt-on installation but you can expect to spend about $10k?

OK, answer my question and then let's get back on topic.

P.S. - That would help my wife get to the mall quicker! Maybe we're on to something...
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 9:19 am

You need to pull off the body or pull the front end off to get the engine/trans out/in. From my perspective it was easy. It just takes time and patience.

1. Engine and transmission - anywhere from 3000-7000 depending upon what engine you want and if you want it new, slightly used or really used and whether it comes with engine driven accessories (a/c, alt, ps)
2. Swap kit - with an exhaust expect to spend between $4500 and $6000 depending upon what kit you use.
3. You can get by with what you have on the rubi but I highly recommend chromoly axles and running something like the RCV axles up front. Sleeve, gusset and beef up the front end steering components.
4. Buy a towel to wipe up the drool from when you take your first drive.

You can do it all for about $10K if you're careful.
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 9:23 am

Here's a thread I started on JKO's that has a lot of info in it.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16706&highlight=hemi

If you have any other questions, just ask. I won't hide the ball.
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 9:33 am

thebigtman wrote:
...If you have any other questions, just ask. I won't hide the ball.

Here's one: When can I drive it!?!? Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 9:35 am

Come on by anytime!
Back to top Go down
Great Pumpkin
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Great Pumpkin

Number of posts : 191
Rig : 2009 JK Unlimited
specs. : Sunburst Orange / auto / 4WD / half doors
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 10:52 am

If you've got the time and money, you could always take a drive out to Petaluma, CA and they'll do the whole thing for ~$10,500.

http://www.jeepspeedshop.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142:affordable-hemi-swap-for-jks&catid=1:latest-news
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 10:57 am

Great Pumpkin wrote:
If you've got the time and money, you could always take a drive out to Petaluma, CA and they'll do the whole thing for ~$10,500.

http://www.jeepspeedshop.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142:affordable-hemi-swap-for-jks&catid=1:latest-news

That's certainly a good deal to get you into a hemi but from what I know their conversion is not to the same level of refinement that other companies offer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mod Opinions Please!   Mod Opinions Please! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mod Opinions Please!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2