MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!

Go down 
+7
jkx0778
Uup4it
N2rock
roadkill
Mr.RonGilbert
Deacon
PJ
11 posters
AuthorMessage
PJ
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
PJ

Number of posts : 126
Rig : 2DR Wrangler
specs. : 35x12.50 FT 3"
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Empty
PostSubject: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:08 pm

Just ran into starting issues this morning. The instrument cluster went hay-wire!!! and had to jump it just to get it to the parts shop. Lost acceleration weird???, power was flickering on and off, and would only start after a long jump. Alternator checked out fine, bat not so good. Had to buy new bat, and fired right up. My jeep is a 2007 model, and the bat was dead in 3 years. Go figure my warranty just ran out 2 months ago lol, but I doubt they would of covered the bat anyway. I looked at the yellow top which only had a 3y warranty, but the premium house brand had a 6y warranty and was $70 bucks less.

On a side note, if anybody has the AFE cold air intake, and you happen to be looking for a replacement rubber grommet for the air intake sensor, O Reilly's has one that is very close to original. Let me know you need one and I'll send you the part number.

Just wanted to share my experience with the group, encase anybody else runs into this problem.
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 9:22 pm

Difference is the Optima will be a deep cycle, dry cell battery while the house brand probably would not (don't know for sure without more info, of course). I just went ahead and picked up a Diehard Platinum for the TJ Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 9:45 pm

The stocker battery is junk.... 3 years isn't bad.

I will prob end up with a jello top but am considering a few others with better warranties....
Back to top Go down
roadkill
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
roadkill

Number of posts : 97
Rig : 06 LJ Rubi
specs. : small lift, overline fenders and 35s
Registration date : 2010-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 7:22 am

the battery in my 01 lasted close to 5 yrs and I still have the battery out if my 06 in my old flatfender jeep and it's still going strong.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 9:32 am

3 years- consider yourself lucky. Mine went out at 2 years. Replaced with a Yellowtop. If you do much winching, the Yellowtop is a better choice

And warranty would not have helped- the battery only has a 1 year warranty. Factory warranties don't apply to normal wear items- IE: tires, brake pads, batteries, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
Uup4it
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Uup4it

Number of posts : 758
Rig : 07 2 door X Flamer 6 spd
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 9:43 am

Mine went out just under three years, replaced with yellow top.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 10:34 am

uup4it wrote:
Mine went out just under three years, replaced with yellow top.

X2
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 11:53 am

Rumor has it that big tires cause unusual battery drain..... but you know how rumors can be.
Back to top Go down
jeeperjennie
Pathetic
Pathetic
jeeperjennie

Number of posts : 2929
specs. : Ahhhhh Missing A Few Parts!
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 3:34 pm

Wow I had to replace mine at 1 year. Although I did have more then 3 years worth miles on it at that time LOL. But yes Factory Bats are crap!

I replaced mine with an Auto Zone cheapie! I have had it for the last 2 1/2 years still going strong!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockrash4x4.com
SASQUATCH
Poster child
Poster child

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 4:23 pm

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
Rumor has it that big tires cause unusual battery drain..... but you know how rumors can be.

True, true!. But I also heard, if you install a body lift it can stretch things that shouldn't be stretched, yup, yes siree bob! Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman
Got No Life
Got No Life
SBC_Tim aka thebigtman

Number of posts : 944
Rig : YJ/TJ, V8, tons
Registration date : 2009-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 11:03 pm

I've gone through 2 stockers so far. I have a dead stock battery waiting to go back to the dealer. These batteries are a total POS.

I have an 8 year old Optima that I'm borrowing from my other car right now. FWIW, I heard that the quality of the newer Optimas is iffy. We had an Optima in our CRD that went out after 32K miles. The replacement worked fine though. So, I guess it might be hit or miss.

Check into Odyssey batteries. They have a good reputation. I've also heard that the Sears Diehard platinum is good too, which Deacon mentioned a few posts above.
Back to top Go down
Hutch
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
Hutch

Number of posts : 524
Rig : Black '07 Unlimited X
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 11:13 pm

N2rock wrote:
3 years- consider yourself lucky. Mine went out at 2 years. Replaced with a Yellowtop. If you do much winching, the Yellowtop is a better choice

And warranty would not have helped- the battery only has a 1 year warranty. Factory warranties don't apply to normal wear items- IE: tires, brake pads, batteries, etc.
Mine died at 2 years also. Dealer replaced, no questions asked Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!   Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replaced factory bat after 3 yrs FYI!!
Page 1 of 1