MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

That damn caliper mount bolt

Go down 
+7
akonius
Mr.RonGilbert
Zack Massey
paramedac
goldenboy
jeetyet
N2rock
11 posters
AuthorMessage
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

Number of posts : 3056
Rig : '07 Unlimited
Registration date : 2008-04-14

That damn caliper mount bolt Empty
PostSubject: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 10:41 am

For those that missed my recent experience with losing the caliper mount bolt at K2- here's the thread: http://www.myjeepforum.net/trails-tales-f6/i-got-the-most-damage-award-t3402.htm

Follow up... So when I bought that bolt, I only bought one. Yeah, I know I should've bought a spare, but I didn't (dumb).

So we went to visit Shannon's family in Arkansas- left last Friday, returned Tuesday. And on Monday I was towing a Wave Runner down to a boat launch, and discovered (when I hit the brakes) that I lost another one of those bolts Shocked It was the lower bolt this time though. So when I hit the brakes, the caliper flipped outwards and rubbed the rim, and ultimately wedged itself causing the tire to lock up. I went ahead and moved the upper bolt down to the lower bolt location to prevent that from happening again.

We were out in BFE- nearest dealership was hours away. And in all likelihood they wouldn't have had it in stock anyway. And even if they did have it, there was no way we could've made it to the dealership before closing time. The thought of driving over 500 miles home missing a caliper bolt was not a very appealing thought either. Thankfully, Shannon's brother knows a guy that owns a big rig repair shop. We drove over there in hopes that he might have an equivalent bolt. But no luck. So he got a bolt that was near the right size, put it into place, and welded it in. And then also welded the caliper in place.

So now that I'm back, I need to order another new bolt (yes, I'm going to buy 4 of those damn things this time!). And I'll need to have Geo cut off those welds with his plasma cutter. I also need to get a new wheel- when we got to that shop an pulled the wheel off, I decided the damage to the inside of the wheel probably made that wheel unsafe, so I put the spare on for the ride home. So now my spare is that damaged wheel.
Back to top Go down
http://n2rock.com
jeetyet
Poster child
Poster child
jeetyet

Number of posts : 360
Rig : 91 xj
specs. : daily drivin slow turd
Registration date : 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 11:21 am

sounds like a fun weekend That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_bounce

sux to hear man. gotta be an upgrade for all that chit
Back to top Go down
goldenboy
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
goldenboy

Number of posts : 473
Rig : 08 jk unlimited
specs. : close to stock
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 12:59 pm

yeah but did you get to go to super lift? all seriousness though that sucks!!
Back to top Go down
paramedac
Poster child
Poster child
paramedac

Number of posts : 221
Rig : 1995 yj soft top half doors
specs. : 1.75 shackle lift 31x10.5x15 mud rovers,aftermarket bumpers but still the 2.5L
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 3:10 pm

Sorry to hear that happened ......again, but glad you made it home safe and sound just a little lighter in the wallet.
David
Back to top Go down
Zack Massey
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Zack Massey

Number of posts : 117
Rig : 09 2 door Rubi
Registration date : 2009-11-12

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 6:29 pm

damn your catching hell with those caliper bolts! Have you tried locktight? There has got to be something that will hold it. I am having about the same trouble keeping my rear driver side wheel spacer tight. If it comes loose again I will put some green lock tight on it. if it comes loose with the green they are going in the trash!
Back to top Go down
Mr.RonGilbert
10" SUPER LOGGER
Mr.RonGilbert

Number of posts : 2701
Rig : 08 Black Unlimited
specs. : Its a beater!
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 6:47 pm

Can we get to it with a grinder and a cut off wheel? If so I can have it ready on Sat.... get it knocked out then.

I can also arrange a plasma cutter..... possibly.
Back to top Go down
akonius
Got No Life
Got No Life
akonius

Number of posts : 845
Rig : '08 4dr JK
specs. : 2.5 BB w/9550's, XRC8 winch, 35"x18" Nittos and a bunch of other stuff...
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jun 2010, 2:01 am

Mine have stayed on so far...put them on with Blue Lock-tight. BUT....I do need replacement dealer bolts - the ones I used were from an Orielly's or something...not stock bolts.

lovely stuff huh?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.akonius.com
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jun 2010, 8:55 am

Mr.RonGilbert wrote:
Can we get to it with a grinder and a cut off wheel? If so I can have it ready on Sat.... get it knocked out then.

I can also arrange a plasma cutter..... possibly.

Picking up the bolts this morning and heading out to Geo's. Can't get in that space with a cut off wheel, gonna have to be a plasma. And thankfully Geo has one. I'm just hoping that (a) the bolt that was welded in did not mess up the threads of the caliper, and (B) that all the heat from welder and plasma have not damaged/weakened the caliper mounts. But if so, I won't need to replace the entire caliper, just the "adapter" which is about $35.
Back to top Go down
N2rock
UBER ass wipe
N2rock

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jun 2010, 8:59 am

Zack Massey wrote:
damn your catching hell with those caliper bolts! Have you tried locktight? There has got to be something that will hold it. I am having about the same trouble keeping my rear driver side wheel spacer tight. If it comes loose again I will put some green lock tight on it. if it comes loose with the green they are going in the trash!

After we got that one taken care of, I went back to Shannon's brother's house and pulled the rest of them out and added locktite to them all. All the others were still tight, not loose at all. But I wanted to hit them with loctite just to be safe.
Back to top Go down
lnufnu
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
lnufnu

Number of posts : 99
Rig : 07 Jk
specs. : too much....
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeSun 26 Sep 2010, 10:39 pm

Lost both bolts on the right rear caliper this afternoon..... flipped up, caught in the rim....fortunately i was going slow and pulled off just in time to keep from ripping it off completely...

Managed to scavenge two bolts from the bumper to hold it in place to make it to auto parts store....

future reference M12 1.50 is the size for the rear ones....

Back to top Go down
outcast
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
outcast

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2010-01-30

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep 2010, 6:41 am

is this an issue with our tjs too?
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep 2010, 5:37 pm

Haha, no. No, it isn't. And not only because we have drums in the rear.
Back to top Go down
Maverick1701
Jack Twist
Maverick1701

Number of posts : 910
Rig : 1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 6x6
specs. : ITS BIG!!!!!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep 2010, 11:48 pm

glad you made it home in one piece N2
Back to top Go down
http://www.lemonparty.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That damn caliper mount bolt   That damn caliper mount bolt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

That damn caliper mount bolt
Page 1 of 1