MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Next upgrade???

Go down 
+5
r_unda
jkx0778
Dutchboy101
Hook-Em
PJ
9 posters
AuthorMessage
PJ
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
PJ

Number of posts : 126
Rig : 2DR Wrangler
specs. : 35x12.50 FT 3"
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Dec 2010, 3:16 pm

I need some advice guys! I'm looking at the next big upgrade for the jeep this Xmas 'santa'

I was thinking about re-gearing to 4.88, or 5.13, but I don't have the funds for the lockers yet bummer Crying or Very sad Or finally getting some control arms, to complete the 3"FT Eco lift. I already have front, and rear track bars, and I figure that a Poly flex control arm kit would adjust the jeep almost back to stock. As far as the steering geometry is concerned. It runs fine now, but I still feel a bit of flighty steering at highway speeds and I know the caster is off which is still causing some issues.

This is my daily driver, and I want it to be as safe and reliable as possible. I just didn't want to fall into a upgrade that makes me have to upgrade, anything else like the drive shafts, due the the new caster angles and stuff. I hear that on a 2dr that might happen once you get the complete control arm kit.

The gears are very attractive, because I'm only running 3.21 right now, and I know the new gears would help off-road, more power on the highway, and maybe a bit better gas mileage. I was also thinking about maybe towing a small trailer and stuff. Although it seems to be okay for now, I know it could be a lot better.

I read that I might be able to get away with maybe only getting control arms for the front lower to fix the caster angle, and the rear lower to set the axle back to a stock position. Does anybody have any additional input??

Merry Christmas ya'll!!!
Back to top Go down
Hook-Em
Got No Life
Got No Life
Hook-Em

Number of posts : 1223
Rig : 2009 Sunburst Orange JK Sahara Unlimited
specs. : 4'' Rancho Sport Lift; 35x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on 17x8.5 Alloys; Ace Rock Sliders; Poison Spyder Brawler Light Front Bumper; AEM Brute Force CAI
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Dec 2010, 4:02 pm

I tried this very thing with my thread, Re-gearing Guru's Assemble. You'll find a wealth of feedback from members. But a summary might be of benefit. Go 5.13, but don't bother on the D30 axle. Replace the D30 with a D44 first. If you pockets are deep enough, go with the Prorock 44 fully equipped for around $4500.

I know, I know, you're like totally depressed now. Been there, done that, and oh yeah, there is no tee-shirt either.

Let me know if I missed anything fellas.
Back to top Go down
Dutchboy101
Pathetic
Pathetic

Number of posts : 2270
Rig : Jeep
specs. : 37's and stuff
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Dec 2010, 4:44 pm

Actually, only go D44 if you go out and play on the rocks and have taller then 35" tires.
The D30 will do just fine, as long as you take care of it when you are on the trails.
If you play hard, then I suggest upgrading to a D44. So you will have to answer that one yourself. Don't go out waste $2500+ on a D44 if you really don't need it.

If you have the $$$ right now to put gears in, then I would say re-gear first. Better to upgrade with lockers right away if you can, but ask yourself first how often you go out play with the jeep.
Based on what I have heard, regearing is the best mod most guy's have done, especially coming from 3.21's.
4.88 on a 2 door might be sufficient, but I know I would go to 5.13's myself, regardless of D30 or D44. Just buy some Chromoloy Axle shafts to strengthen the D30.

Control arms are much cheaper then regearing so it will be easier to save for it afterwards. If you are serious about adding lockers, you are probably better doing gears and lockers at the same time when you have all the funds. Might as well buy the adjustable control arms now as you have to anyway at some point.

Not sure if I have helped with my feedback... LOL
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Dec 2010, 5:09 pm

I went with gears (4.88s) before control arms and I've never ( N_E_V_E_R ) regreted it. IMHO that upgrade makes the biggest difference next to lift and tires. The suspension is a slippery slope. unless you went with a premium kit? when you go cheap (yes that's me too) you end up needing it all in the end (trackbars, steering stablizer, shocks, trackbar brackets, drop pitman arm or steering knuckle flip kit, break lines or BL brackets, etc).

If you are concerned with on road performance right now, I'd do the poly flip kit and trackbar brackets front & rear (abt $425 + shipping). Then chromoly axles in the front. That should be about equal to the $1215.00 you were going to spend on that poly control arm kit with some $$ left over. with the $$ left over, you could buy some scrape 1/4" steel plate and a 4" grinder and cut off wheel and make yourself a truss for the D30. Then buy some TF c-gussets and have a buddy burn them in for ya.
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Dec 2010, 5:48 pm

What’s wrong with the D30 on the JKs? I don’t see many or any complains about them on the TJs even with big tires. Yeah a D44 would be nice but not necessary since it seems that the D30 it’s strong enough, at least on the TJs
Back to top Go down
PJ
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
PJ

Number of posts : 126
Rig : 2DR Wrangler
specs. : 35x12.50 FT 3"
Registration date : 2008-02-08

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Dec 2010, 6:26 pm

First of all let me just say that you all rock man!!! Seroiusly I haven't been on i a while, but drop a question, and in a few hours start getting responses!! I know I've been out of the loop for a while, but always feel welcome when I get back on. Thank you for that, that's why this is such a great club!!!

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming. A lot of great points, and awesome feedback!!

A few trips back we went to Cline's, with my current set up, and with a little finesse on the clutch i was able to follow the guys with locked TJ's and some crazy rigs all over the ranch. I remember them asking me if i was locked??, and I said no not yet. They seemed to be pretty impressed with how she handled. I remember wishing I had a lower gear to really crawl up the rocks, but she did just fine. Laughing

I know now since I've said that, that I'm going to get stuck in some canyon somewhere!! And I going to need yawls helps to pull her out of some deep dark hole. But I just wanted to prove a point, I believe I'll leave the dana30 and just trust it, and stronger axles etc...great idea!! Plus I didn't do all the obstacles on the trail like i said I drive it everyday, but I diffanetly did 90% of it and that was fine for me.

So I'm starting to lean towards the re gear, and maybe finish the suspension piece by piece. Maybe start with the front lowers, work my way back. cheers
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Dec 2010, 7:25 pm

Re-gear, when you break it, fix it, and wheel it: repeat! Hopefully you fix it better than stock! Always have some money put away, just incase you break something... I'm not saying $1000's just a couple of $100 so it's not a big chunck at one time! Or at least to cover the tow truck!
lunch
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Dec 2010, 4:26 am

My oldest son put some 33s on his Tj and a few months later he added the 4 88 gears. Best investment he made. He wheeled it at clines with a group and had no problems staying up with their rigs. Some of them had lockers and such, but they were really amazed that his Tj was just a 4 banger. I know the gears really helped, and his is a daily driver. He has often thought about the upgrades to lockers, but he needs it more to be a reliable daily driver he can take on the trails for fun than a rock crawling beast...
Back to top Go down
HerJK-X
Poster child
Poster child
HerJK-X

Number of posts : 288
Rig : 2008 JK Unlimited X
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Dec 2010, 10:39 am

We drive a lot and the gears were/are one of the best investments that we made on our jeep. It's a lot less stress on the transmission because it's not down shifting all the time.
Back to top Go down
RiverCityOffroad
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

Number of posts : 133
Rig : 08 JK + 08 JK Unlimited
Registration date : 2010-08-26

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Dec 2010, 12:31 pm

From a longevity stand point I'd spend the coin now on the gears. You will see the most result out of it and it will be something that you will be able to enjoy every time you drive the Jeep versus something like control arms that might get swapped out for something else in the future.

HerJKX might be able to help you with the install too... Very Happy

If you decide you're looking for Poly, TeraFlex, Rock Krawler, or literally anything else under the sun I'll help you save as much money as possible on the parts you're looking for.

I would still go gears first. Very Happy

Marcus
Back to top Go down
http://rivercityoffroad.com
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitimeWed 15 Dec 2010, 3:00 pm

r_unda wrote:
What’s wrong with the D30 on the JKs? I don’t see many or any complains about them on the TJs even with big tires. Yeah a D44 would be nice but not necessary since it seems that the D30 it’s strong enough, at least on the TJs

Nothing "wrong" with the D30. It's actually pretty strong in the high pinion version. the problem is that the tubes are only 2.5" OD x 1/4" wall on both the D30 and D44. While this probably plenty strong on a TJ, the JK is heavier and the tubes are a little longer because the Jk is wider than the TJ. There are reports of the long tube on the JKs bending and/or the c-gussets bending. I think the D30 is plenty strong if you truss it and add c-gussets. Also, reinforce the trackbar bracket. add chromoly shafts when $$ permits and you are good to go. if you save up about $2k, then upgrade to the super30 kit instead (30 spline shafts and ARB locker). but for that price, you should be able to find a used D44 that may already have gears and c-gussets and the stock e-locker.

That's where the big conundrum erupts... build up the D30 or spend on a D44. If you have the $$ for ARB & Chromolies, then you have th $$ to upgrade to the D44.

I would say the only really "weak" part on a D30 that can't be beefed up is the R&P.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Next upgrade??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next upgrade???   Next upgrade??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next upgrade???
Page 1 of 1