MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

4 Banger Mod

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

4 Banger Mod Empty
PostSubject: 4 Banger Mod   4 Banger Mod Icon_minitimeWed 04 May 2011, 9:59 am

Wanted to pass this sweet mod on to those of you that have the 4 cylinder TJ. My son came across this doing some research on his TJ. I have 3 TJs here at the house and have modded 2 of them and will be doing the 3rd one today. You can use a throttle body of a 6 cyl 4.0 and switch it out for the 4 cyl throttle body. The bore on the 4.0 is much bigger than the 4cyl allowing more volume of air into the engine. This made my 4cyl which felt like a slow turtle into a peppy 4cyl which i think is what everyone thought they would have with the 4cyl . It is a direct bolt on with only one minor exception, you have to reuse the IABV( idle air bypass valve) off the 4 cyl so it will idle correctly. This is also a direct swap using a torx 20 bit. ( you may have to use a tamper resistent torx tip). I found the used 4.0 throttle body on EBAY for around 35- 40 dollars. This and a new throttle body gasket and your good to go. I am running an airaid cold intake system with a throttle spacer and the throttle response is superb. One of the best mods i have done for just a few dollars. You can use a throttle body off of Jeep Wranglers, Cherokees and a few others as long as the connectors for the map and tps match up. I dont have pics cause it takes me too long to figure out how to post them, but you wont be dissapointed with this mod. You can research this or pm me if you have any questions on this. study
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

4 Banger Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Banger Mod   4 Banger Mod Icon_minitimeWed 04 May 2011, 10:24 am

nice mod. they found something similar for the JK. who would have thought a Viper TB would fit a JK and be a direct bolt on at that !?!?!?

Some are experiencing some gliches so i'm holding off to see what the deal is. But the Viper TB is fairly cheap too (unless Mopar catches on and raises the prices).

Good find on your 4.0 TB
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

4 Banger Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Banger Mod   4 Banger Mod Icon_minitimeWed 04 May 2011, 11:48 am

I did this mod. It actually helps. Then when I put the new 4cyl in my jeep I went with a 62mm bored TB, bored spacer, and bored (by me with grinder) manifold. You can feel the difference specially going uphill.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4 Banger Mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4 Banger Mod   4 Banger Mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4 Banger Mod
Page 1 of 1