MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!

Go down 
+2
jkx0778
JK4AER
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

Number of posts : 292
Rig : '08 Black JKU Rubi
specs. : Loaded with two carseats!!!
Registration date : 2009-11-01

HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Empty
PostSubject: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

OK, this is all my wife's fault...she made me go get a physical since I recently turned 30. When I was leaving the doctors office I noticed my the check engine signal came on (never happened before, 2008 JKU 29k miles). I got to work just fine and figured I'd try to check the codes by switching the key to the on and off position 3 times. Well, I couldn't get any codes to flash but now my Jeep is dead!!

I had a co-worker try to jump start me, but nada. Jeep just clicks when I turn the key. I have a volt meter and was getting 10 V off the battery not 14 V so I think it's the battery but wondered why the engine light would come on!??

So, any suggestions before I pull the battery and go get a new one??

Thanks,
Art
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Aug 2011, 11:45 am

put it in neutral and try starting it. I thought my battery was going out but turned out to be the transmission park sensor. the dealership adjusted the linkage and replaced the sensor under the lifetime power train warranty.... yeah, i was supprised it was covered. Then again, I haven't mess with the engine or trans, so it was rightfully covered.
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Aug 2011, 11:53 am

jkx0778 wrote:
put it in neutral and try starting it. I thought my battery was going out but turned out to be the transmission park sensor. the dealership adjusted the linkage and replaced the sensor under the lifetime power train warranty.... yeah, i was supprised it was covered. Then again, I haven't mess with the engine or trans, so it was rightfully covered.

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work...
Back to top Go down
Stouttrout
Poster child
Poster child
Stouttrout

Number of posts : 347
Rig : Multiple (too many) JEEPS
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

It is most likely the batt or alternator. Try hooking up the jumper cables and leaving it for about 20 minutes. Then try to start it. Or, Use two sets of cables and two cars. If you hook them up from each car you will not create 24 volts. it will only be 12 volt but the cranking amps will double. the CEL comes on anytime the vehicle is not running at optimum. If the batt was not charging or the Alternator fried it can cause it to come on because the voltage drops and the readings from various sensors is not the right millivolts.
Back to top Go down
Stouttrout
Poster child
Poster child
Stouttrout

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Aug 2011, 2:42 pm

Did you do a direct battery jump? hooking the jumper to both terminals?
Back to top Go down
JK4AER
Poster child
Poster child
JK4AER

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeThu 25 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

Thanks for the replies...I was able to jump it by removing the terminals and connecting them directly to the jumper cables. I then went to Sears and became the proud owner of a DieHard Gold battery...wanted the Platinum but not for $219! Everything seems back to normal...I'm about to leave the office and hopefully she cranks right up.

Thanks again!!
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 11:22 am

Did Sears test your alternator? If it was the alternator going bad, then you'll have the same problem soon with the new battery. You could go to autozone. they usually test the battery and alternator for free.
Back to top Go down
John F
Straight off the lot
Straight off the lot
John F

Number of posts : 23
Rig : 1998 TJ
specs. : 4.0, 5 speed, 2" body lift, custom bumpers, winch
Registration date : 2011-07-31

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 8:02 pm

jkx0778 wrote:

Sounds like the battery is going bad. 3 years is about all a factory battery is good for. and this heat has been tough on batteries (tires too). I just replaced the battery in my wife's '08 Pontiac, same symptoms, same # of years service. They sure are getting expensive, good luck.
Back to top Go down
Jake&Jen
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
Jake&Jen

Number of posts : 96
Rig : 08 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JK
specs. : In the Works: Lift, (Tires Check), (Wheels Check), Front and Rear Bumper, (Blacked out Tail lights and side markers)Check
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeSun 28 Aug 2011, 7:30 pm

I just had the same thing happen to me about a month ago and it was the battery. Check engine light came on and just clicked when I tried to turn it over......new battery everything works fine. FYI Walmart has them for about 97 bucks after tax.
Back to top Go down
TOYZ_2
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
TOYZ_2

Number of posts : 190
Rig : 98 TJ 4 Banger
specs. : 3 1/4 RC lift, bestop supertop, round tires , dual sun visiors
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeThu 01 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

This Texas heat is a killer on batteries, alternators and starters. Being especially hot this year, these things tend to go out much quicker. Also, your home A/C units will be getting tested also...
Back to top Go down
Stouttrout
Poster child
Poster child
Stouttrout

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitimeThu 01 Sep 2011, 1:30 pm

TOYZ_2 wrote:
This Texas heat is a killer on batteries, alternators and starters. Being especially hot this year, these things tend to go out much quicker. Also, your home A/C units will be getting tested also...

I have replaced 2 home AC units this year. SUX. Replaced 2 batts too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!   HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP (non-emergency)!! Jeep is Dead!!
Page 1 of 1