MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Locker Inst

Go down 
+4
Stouttrout
Chris
Batjeep09
gilly_as
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Number of posts : 191
Rig : 07 JK
specs. : Not enough
Registration date : 2010-05-23

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011, 9:58 am

Here we go day1. going to be inst a pwertrax lockright in the front D30 today and a detroit trutrac in the rear D44 tomorrow and friday. I will post pic at the end of each day of work to keep track of progress ( or lack there of) whichever is the case. wish me luck. I've never done this before. but i'm confident in my mechanic abilities.
Back to top Go down
Batjeep09
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

Number of posts : 143
Rig : 2009 2 Dr JK
specs. : Big tires, scratches, cb, winch, lights, bike rack, more scratches and Batman decals.
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

Good luck
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011, 6:18 pm

Thanks! well the front is complete!!! No issuses, it went in alot easier than i thought it would. There was only a couple of times when i had to take a step back and rethink what i was doing. I'm trying to get pics uploaded but my comupter is not liking the sd xard from my camera. Tomorrow i'm going to press on the new bearings and wait for the inst kit to come in.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011, 6:34 pm

Cool deal post pics when you can!!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Stouttrout
Poster child
Poster child
Stouttrout

Number of posts : 347
Rig : Multiple (too many) JEEPS
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011, 6:35 pm

GOOD DEAL!!!!
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011, 7:04 pm

SWEEEEET
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeWed 14 Sep 2011, 11:06 pm

as promised here are some of the pics from the inst. [img]Locker Inst 100_0610[/img]
this is the before shot
[img]Locker Inst 100_0611[/img]
out with the old
[img]Locker Inst 100_0612[/img]
in with the new[img]Locker Inst 100_0613[/img]
and the final product
Back to top Go down
Stouttrout
Poster child
Poster child
Stouttrout

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeThu 15 Sep 2011, 12:44 am

Since you removed the carrier, be sure you check the run pattern on it. Also, you can do that locker without removing the carrier. One reason I love lunchbox lockers Smile Save your spiders. They make great spares. Looking good. tomoorw your starting your rear?

Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeThu 15 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

Yeah, I checked the pattern the bite was right in the middle. Yeah i realized afterward i could've done it with out taking it out, but i think it was easier to just take it out. Learning experience. Yeah I'm definately keeping the spiders. you never know when they might come in handy. today i'm going to tackle the rear. I'll post pics when i get done tonight. Hopefully i can get it all done tonight. I would rather have tomorrow to relax and maybe do some fender and bumber trimming. we shall see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Stouttrout
Poster child
Poster child
Stouttrout

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeSat 17 Sep 2011, 12:19 am

No word yet? How did it go?
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeSat 17 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

I ran into some problems withthe rear axle. First problem was that one stud on both hubs borke loose from were they were pressed into the back plate. Raul came over with his welderand tack welded them in order to get the axles off. The second problem is i ordered the wrong locker for the rear. All this time i thought i had a D44 in the rear, well it turns out i have a D35. I was pissed that i made a stupid mistake like that but life goes on. Now i have to wait until next week to get the right parts in so i can finish it.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

Number of posts : 300
Rig : 2007 JK
specs. : ------->
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep 2011, 3:21 pm

I didn't know they put D35's in the rear of jeeps? You have 4:10's and D35. that seems odd.
Back to top Go down
Stouttrout
Poster child
Poster child
Stouttrout

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep 2011, 4:50 pm

That have put D35s in the rear of Jeeps for years. Depending on engine and transmission configuration, 4.10's were used alot. What model Jeep are we talking about anyway? What do you have? 2 door? Four Door? JK, TJ?
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep 2011, 5:34 pm

Yup I had a D35 in my 90 XJ.
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeSun 18 Sep 2011, 8:49 pm

Yeah that's the weird part i have an 07 JK. everything i read when i was reasearching the problem said 2007 jk's came stock with a D44 rear and a D30 front. Of course it also said the Wrangler X non-rubicon came with 3:73 gears. thats why i ordered what i did. then come to find out i have a D35 in the rear and D30 in the front with 4:10's. it threw me for a loop.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011, 11:42 am

some early '07, 2 door, X models did come with D35s. I think the first batch off the assembly lines came with D35s depending on options checked off. I know at least 2 others who had D35s in their 2 doors.
Back to top Go down
Tvernon
Poster child
Poster child
Tvernon

Number of posts : 300
Rig : 2007 JK
specs. : ------->
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011, 5:34 pm

I was mistaken earlier. I should have said I didn't know they put the D35 in the JK's, but I also found out I had 4:10's in mine as well when I replaced the gears. I didn't realize they had a tow package option on the 07 and I'm sure thats what happened here. doubtful the dealership knew either. I dont know why though they would put the tow package on a D35. That just doesnt make sense.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011, 6:25 pm

scratch
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeMon 19 Sep 2011, 11:24 pm

I guess i bought one of the first edition JK's. Well at ;east 4 wheel parts understood the mistake and is going to refund the price of the locker after i send it back to them. I'm going to buy the D35 trutrac on thursday. It should be here on monday or tuesday of next week. So it looks like the jeep will be back on the road next week.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeFri 23 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

hmm. sometimes you can find D44 from X models with limited slips or lockers for dirt cheap ($300 - $500 range).
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeFri 23 Sep 2011, 11:48 pm

that's what i'm going to start looking for. but for for now i just need to get the jeep back on the road. So if anybody know of someone selling D44 complete rear axle with 4:10 gears please let me know. thanks
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeThu 06 Oct 2011, 12:38 pm

Well i got the jeep back on the road but it didn't work out the way i wanted it to. I couldn't send the parts back because i had already pressed the bearings on the locker, and i couldn't order the d35 parts because they wouldn't work with my axle. I know it doesn't make sense. So after taking extensive measurements, i noticed that the spider gears i took out of the front diff were the same size as the ones in the rear diff. so i put those in the rear diff and it has worked great. but i'm still on huntfor a complete d44 rear axle with 4:10 gears. One axle swap coming up.
Back to top Go down
r_unda
Seasoned Vet
Seasoned Vet
r_unda

Number of posts : 794
Rig : 1998 Jeep Wrangler
specs. : 2.5L-4 Cyl., 33x10.5 BFG's Mud tires, 2.5 in. lift springs, 1.25 in. BL, 1 in. MML, 4.88 Gears, Front Powertrax No-Slip, Rear E-Locker, Chromoly axle shafts, SYE, Tera Low & 2Low, UCF Tummy Tuck, etc
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeThu 06 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

gilly_as wrote:
Well i got the jeep back on the road but it didn't work out the way i wanted it to. I couldn't send the parts back because i had already pressed the bearings on the locker, and i couldn't order the d35 parts because they wouldn't work with my axle. I know it doesn't make sense. So after taking extensive measurements, i noticed that the spider gears i took out of the front diff were the same size as the ones in the rear diff. so i put those in the rear diff and it has worked great. but i'm still on huntfor a complete d44 rear axle with 4:10 gears. One axle swap coming up.

Gald you got it back on the road! ...So what do you have in the rear??
Back to top Go down
gilly_as
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
gilly_as

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeThu 06 Oct 2011, 5:54 pm

from what i understood. they say it's called a super 35. it's basically a d35 carrier but it uses bigger carrier bearings, a thicker ring gear and 7/16" ring bolts. Now for the fun part, the only place i can order the bearings is from a local dealership. the only problem is according to them, they have never heard of anything like that. they only know that jk's come with d44 in the rear. they have never seen a d35 of anykind on a jk.
Back to top Go down
Stouttrout
Poster child
Poster child
Stouttrout

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitimeThu 06 Oct 2011, 6:28 pm

All early 2007's had the d35. Jeep dealerships are idiots and if you get your info from them.....Well, just don't be an idiot. Even the damn sales people do not know what they are talking about. they won't even learn their own product. You can call Morris 4x4 center at 877-553-JEEP (5337), they have the parts you need, or Drivetrain Specialties should be able to help you out (800) 521-0628
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Locker Inst Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker Inst   Locker Inst Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locker Inst
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next