MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Twisted tubes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hughiam

hughiam

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Twisted tubes Empty
PostSubject: Twisted tubes   Twisted tubes Icon_minitimeThu 23 Feb 2012, 8:33 pm

In the process of continuing the rebuild on my CJ. I took it to the local garage to check the alignment and was 2 1/2 positive caster on the right and 9 degrees positive caster on the left. Im also positively cambered 1 1/2 degrees on the left. I hit something wheeling and appear to have twisted it. It pulls to the left really harsh and has had lousy bump steer since then.

The axle is a chevy dana 44 housing/tubes cut down to fit a stock scout 44 inner. I think I need to have the left ball joint/knuckle cut off/rotated and re-welded. The axle was built by the guy who had the jeep before me. Prior to the bending, the jeep would steer beautifully.

Your thoughts?

Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Twisted tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twisted tubes   Twisted tubes Icon_minitimeFri 24 Feb 2012, 12:42 pm

It's all up to you. I might take it as an opportunity to upgrade, but there's no other info to go on (e.g. tire size, future plans, etc).

If you want to keep the axle, have a reputable shop fix it. It may need to be straightened, the plug welds may be problematic, the tube(s) may have changed their depth in the diff housing, and they should be able to address all this stuff. They could even press in new tubes altogether if you wanted.
Back to top Go down
hughiam

hughiam

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Twisted tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twisted tubes   Twisted tubes Icon_minitimeFri 24 Feb 2012, 9:57 pm

Ive had this same set up for over 20 years. Its a 79 cj7 glass body. Dana 44 front and back, 4.88's, powr lock front, Detroit Locker in the back. The axles are flipped at both ends, Wagoneer springs and revesed shackles in the front. Motor is an amc 401/turbo 400/dana20. Tires are 40" monster mudders on 15x15 rims. Despite the large tire size I rarely brake axle shafts. If id does break, its usually the short side while turning hard under power.

The argument could be made to upgrade to narrowed dana 60's, but then a wholesale bunch of expensive changes follow.

This project sat for over 5 years and now its back to work. But the bent axle is one of those projects that needs to be farmed out to someone that knows what they are doing.
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

Twisted tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twisted tubes   Twisted tubes Icon_minitimeSat 25 Feb 2012, 9:17 am

If you don't mind sitting on it for a while, yourself a cherokee that has the heavy duty towing package and yank the 44's out of it. They should be a very close match to the width you need. Plus once you find them you beef them up before you swap them out.
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Twisted tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twisted tubes   Twisted tubes Icon_minitimeSat 25 Feb 2012, 7:54 pm

I would find another chevy 44 and gusset and truss it & cut it down. Then transfer your internals over. This is the least expensive way. Labor to cut, retube, and reweld has gotta be more than a junkyard Chevy D44. Or go the 1 ton route. Those are some massive meats for D44's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Twisted tubes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twisted tubes   Twisted tubes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Twisted tubes
Page 1 of 1