MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The things that have kept me from wheeling

Go down 
+7
Chris
Renny
jkx0778
Renee10
Drillerjoe
lonestar rubi
XJcrawler
11 posters
AuthorMessage
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

Number of posts : 50
Rig : 01 XJ
specs. : Clayton 3 link longarms, Klune V doubler, d300 tripple sticks, 35's, Chromoly shafts, Hydro assist, lockers, 4.56's, SYE, high steer, sliders, truss,
Registration date : 2011-10-23

The things that have kept me from wheeling Empty
PostSubject: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeFri 16 Mar 2012, 7:44 pm

I just figure since I am dying to to go wheeling, but have had to pass up like 10 opportunities to go in the last couple months, I might as well let you guys see what I have been up to.

So here is what I have been doing to my jeep cherokee thats been keeping me off the trails since the last time I wheeled back in January with you all.

First I put some hood vents in it, but yea not a big deal.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0826

Then I spent some time installing my clayton 3 link long arms upgrade (which I still haven't trail tested!!) that replaced my original rubicon express short arms.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0769

Definately a sweet setup. It is a true 3 link so there is no binding in the system when it flexes, and it uses johny joints on all ends so no crappy stock bushings. As you can see I also had to weld in a bridge over my diff and attached it to my truss.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0743

I also welded it into the frame rails.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0751

After getting that done in January, I started working on my transfer case. I had a 231 in my jeep and it had a bad bearing. I decided that I didn't want to just fix it since I had already rebuilt the whole case recently and don't want to go through all the work again just to have a stock setup.

So instead I took the opportunity to upgrade... big time.

I decided to buy a Klune V crawlbox:

The things that have kept me from wheeling Directshifter

...and mate it to a twin stick dana 300 transfercase out of an 86 cj:

The things that have kept me from wheeling %2524%2528KGrHqVHJBkE7%2529rvwPykBO9L%2528LDp%252Cw%257E%257E60_3

I had to flip the dana 300 to make it drivers side drop, so in order to do that and have twin sticks, I bought some NW fab cable shifters.

The things that have kept me from wheeling D300CableKit

The things that have kept me from wheeling Dana300reversemain

So aquiring all those parts took me until about the middle of February when I finally got to start installing everything. However, this was a pretty complicated project. It required a ton of research and some experimenting. So I figure I might as well walk through all that I have done.

I tend to only have weekends free to work on this so I spent my first weekend disassembling the dana 300 and putting new seals in it. Luckily it was in great condition and didn't need new bearings.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0850

Notice it is an all gear driven transfercase that means no more bicycle chain like the normal jeep transfercases.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0851

This is what I mean by experimenting. Because a front 231 yoke is the same spline count as the d300, I was able to use two front 231 yokes in place of the d300 yokes so that I could use double cardon driveshafts instead of the single u-joint shafts that originally came on the cj.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0853

Here are all the seals pulled:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0855

Next I had to cut off the old shifter mount due to the design of the cable shifter I bought needing to have it removed:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0856

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0857

Next I cleaned everything up in the parts cleaner:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0858

Then I tapped and installed an oil sight tube:

The things that have kept me from wheeling 95648d1329692840t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-2767250620

Then I came to realize the input shaft on the klune was too long. So I did some more experimenting using a spare 231 case I had from a tj and figured out that the planetary gears used in the klune V are the exact same ones used in a 231 case accept it has 6 planetaries instead of 3, so I could swap my 231 input shaft into my klune planetaries.

The things that have kept me from wheeling 97202d1330217620-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-1843795029

Next I pulled apart my center console:

The things that have kept me from wheeling 97205d1330217722t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-872127245

...and did some cutting and installed these shifters in place of the stock shifter:

The things that have kept me from wheeling 97208d1330217860t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-4024708989

Next I installed the shift fork rod covers that I came to realize my d300 was missing.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0955

And painted everything to make it look shiny:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_0977

Then I realized that in order to have the klune shifter pointing up and be able to clock the transfercase to where I want it, I would have to buy a clocking ring. So I had another week for that.

The things that have kept me from wheeling 101036d1331515232t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-247744332

Then finally it came and I pulled my transfercase about a week and a half ago:

The things that have kept me from wheeling 101037d1331515273t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-2079004582

and test fitted the setup:

The things that have kept me from wheeling 101040d1331515323t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-119399108

Then I had to take it back out to do some more stuff. First swapped my 231 short input gear into the klune planetaries:

The things that have kept me from wheeling 101061d1331517310t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-3518312522

And rotated the shifter to the correct position for my application:

The things that have kept me from wheeling 101046d1331515401t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-2880605125

Then I bolted everything together this time sealing everything with RTV and installed some breathers and sight tubes and filled them with oil.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1044

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1045

And here she is finally permanently bolted in with crossmember back on.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1054

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1055

And the shifter cable bracket installed:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1073

And after about a month and a half since starting the "install" that's how it sits today.

I still need to cut a hole in the floor to install the klune V shifter and drill a hole for the cables going to the d300.

I dropped off my driveshafts at a driveline place yesterday to shorten the rear and lengthen the front about 2 inches. I was hoping to get them back today and maybe try to finish everything tonight and go wheeling with you guys tommorow, but they won't be ready till tommorow. Oh well. All I can say though is I seriously can't wait to get everything finished up so I can get back out there on the trails with you guys. Hope you guys enjoyed my novel yay
Back to top Go down
lonestar rubi
Got No Life
Got No Life
lonestar rubi

Number of posts : 1202
Rig : 2007 JK unlimited Rubicon
specs. : It's over there}
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeFri 16 Mar 2012, 11:12 pm

that thing is going to be SWEEEEET!!!! cheers it's going to be like a mule, not even a goat....slow and steady. Now just get some serious tires that get real sticky when you spin them on the rocks. Watch out!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

specs. : Clayton 3 link longarms, Klune V doubler, d300 tripple sticks, 35's, Chromoly shafts, Hydro assist, lockers, 4.56's, SYE, high steer, sliders, truss,

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeFri 16 Mar 2012, 11:40 pm

Haha yea i can't wait to trail test it. I went with this so I could have a much stronger case and keep my stock low gearing of 2.72 for looser stuff/higher speed plus have super low gearing for crawling rocks. I will basically have triple sticks too which will allow me to do front digs and have front only low and rear only low when needed in tight corners. Definately going to be sweet.
Back to top Go down
Drillerjoe
Trail Ready
Trail Ready

Number of posts : 80
Rig : 89 xj
specs. : 8.25 swap with Aussie locker. Lots of rustys off road stuff home brew winch bumper w/ xrc8 mounted 31x11.5's um has a header and exhaust with a flow master. Several arb straps winch kit. Roof rack with spare mount and lights.
Registration date : 2012-02-27

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar 2012, 3:48 pm

Wow this is awesome! I want ha ha. I'm really liking that three link, this is certainly in the future for my rig.
Back to top Go down
Renee10
Pathetic
Pathetic
Renee10

Number of posts : 2515
Rig : 2007 Stone White 2-Door
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeSat 17 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

Awesome
Back to top Go down
http://www.jeep-nation.com
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeSun 18 Mar 2012, 9:23 am

Thanks guys it's been a lot of work but it'll be worth it. I got the drive shafts back on yesterday so it finally drives again. I just need to finish up connecting the shifters now so I can shift the t-case.

Last edited by XJcrawler on Tue 20 Mar 2012, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jkx0778
Pathetic
Pathetic
jkx0778

Number of posts : 2490
Rig : 2008 unlimited
specs. : in progress
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeMon 19 Mar 2012, 11:08 am

damn nice looking upgrades
Back to top Go down
Renny
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Renny

Number of posts : 153
Rig : JK 2010 Unlimited Sport
specs. : Tow package, New-to-me bumper, 35" BFG KM2's, Rigid industries fog lights, Ruggid Ridge transmission and oil pan skid plate
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeTue 20 Mar 2012, 2:02 pm

What a lot of work but it'll crawl so beautifully!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Got No Life
Got No Life
Chris

Number of posts : 962
Rig : 1990 XJ Trigger
specs. : 4.5in. Rubicon Express lift. JCR front winch bumper. Warn 9in. dual beam lights. PIAA 520 ATP Extreme White lights on Conn Ferr Roof Rack. Cooper STT 285/75/16 on Moab rims. Ramsey 8000 winch. 4:10 G2 gears. Aussie 30 locker, and Detroit Tru Trac locker Dana 44. Poison Syder diff covers
Registration date : 2010-10-19

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeTue 20 Mar 2012, 9:07 pm

Sweet!
Back to top Go down
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012, 4:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the motivation!

Here are some more pictures on my progress:

Here are the 3 drive shafts I got resized. (one extra in case I break both the other ones).

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1087

Installed the rear no problem:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1091

The front comes too close to the crossmember though:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1092

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1093

But I halfway expected that, so I am going to have to cut a section out of my crossmember to allow it to flex fully without hitting the driveshaft on the crossmember.

I cut a hole for the klune shifter this past weekend:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1099

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1100

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1103

And I did some more cutting and mounted the double cable shifter in the drivers side for the d300.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1104

Had to bend some brackets to make the shifters point upwards.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1106

And here is the Semi-Final Product:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1111

Now I just need to find a way to seal all the holes up to keep water out, and hook up the cables to the shifters and I will be done finally!! Oh...and I gotta go cut out a section of the crossmember and figure out a skid plate for it.
Back to top Go down
Renny
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk
Renny

Number of posts : 153
Rig : JK 2010 Unlimited Sport
specs. : Tow package, New-to-me bumper, 35" BFG KM2's, Rigid industries fog lights, Ruggid Ridge transmission and oil pan skid plate
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeWed 21 Mar 2012, 9:40 pm

Like a BOSS!
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

Number of posts : 371
Rig : 99 TJ
specs. : https://www.facebook.com/TexasHillCountryOffRoad
Registration date : 2010-06-28

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeThu 22 Mar 2012, 12:59 am

Nice work man, I can't wait to see this thing out on the trails!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/TexasHillCountryOffRoad
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeFri 23 Mar 2012, 10:26 am

That's a ridiculous setup. Very nice.

What axles and tires are you running? It looks like an HP30 up front and a D35 in the rear, but I'm hoping that's an 8.25 instead...
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeFri 23 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm

8.25! Chromos all around, this guy knows his stuff
Back to top Go down
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeFri 23 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm

Deacon wrote:
That's a ridiculous setup. Very nice.

What axles and tires are you running? It looks like an HP30 up front and a D35 in the rear, but I'm hoping that's an 8.25 instead...

Yea I have a HP30 trussed/gusseted/welded C's up front with chromo shafts, and the rear is a 29 spline 8.25 with chromo shafts.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but the klune is the "goliath" version not the "david" so that means it is only a 2.7:1 reduction instead of the 4:1 reduction. This means I will have the following gear choices: 2.6:1, 2.71:1, and like 7:1 (not the 10:1 that I would get with a 4:1 crawlbox). I am pretty light on the throttle so my axles should be able to handle it...if they break I have extra shafts...and I will probably upgrade to tons... I should be fine though.
Back to top Go down
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeMon 26 Mar 2012, 12:09 am

I got a lot done on the jeep this weekend and it is finally trail worthy again!!! The things that have kept me from wheeling 508968 who wants to go wheeling!?

Here is what I did this weekend to get the jeep ready for the trails again:

-I Cut out a section of the crossmember. Now I have plenty of room for the driveshaft even at full flex. It's not that pretty but it gets the job done:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1144

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1149

-I installed my new 27" stainless steel brakelines and flushed the brake fluid. Now they don't look like stretched out banjo strings when I flex out the front anymore.

The things that have kept me from wheeling 104431d1332611564t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-1740458706

-I set the front pinion angle higher by lengthening the upper control arm in order to fix the front driveshaft vibrations :

Before:

The things that have kept me from wheeling 104432d1332611574t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-3423862327

After:

The things that have kept me from wheeling 104433d1332611579t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-1295649247

-I finally bought a spare tire. The matching rim should come in on monday.

The things that have kept me from wheeling 104425d1332611522t-almost-there-01-xj-build-image-2429770503

-I cleaned out my fuel injectors using a vacuum pump and injector cleaner and then I rebuilt them with new filters/o-rings/pintle caps.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1132a

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1131

-Then today I installed a boot on the bottom of my cable shifter unit to make it water tight.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1158

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1160

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1161

Final Product:

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1165

-Then hooked up the cables from the transfercase to the shifter and adjusted them.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1173

-After that I went to a parking lot and tested out the shifters and the transfercase shifts perfectly.

-Finally, I decided to drill & tap holes to install my transfercase skid plate. I eventually plan to fab a fully belly skid plate and additional crossmember to support the added weight of the transfercase, but this will be fine for now.

The things that have kept me from wheeling IMG_1167

So yea 3 months have gone by since I first started this doubler and transfercase project, and finally after hours upon hours of work, I can officially say the install is done! cheers2

Can't wait to trail test it, anyone planning on wheeling next weekend or the weekend after next?
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeMon 26 Mar 2012, 12:17 am

Great work man! I think my Next 2 trips will be Wheelers for the wounded at Hidden Falls, and Cinco Day Mayo at K2
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeMon 26 Mar 2012, 12:26 am

Correction, I thnk I meant Memorial Day at K2. Wheelers for the Wounded is May fifth
Back to top Go down
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeMon 26 Mar 2012, 12:39 am

Yea man I will probably be able to go to both of those, I have been wanting to check out k2 for awhile.

I will probably be trying to wheel at least 1 or 2 times in April too now that my jeep finally works. If anyone has any plans let me know I would love to tag along.
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeMon 26 Mar 2012, 12:47 am

I am so pumped for K2. Let me know if you head out there
Back to top Go down
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012, 12:28 am

IntenseBlueSwamper wrote:
I am so pumped for K2. Let me know if you head out there

Ya man i definately want to go, especially now that I have a doubler bringit

I'll plan on going with you the memorial day and I'll definately let you know if I end up making plans to go sooner in April in addition to that weekend.
Back to top Go down
IntenseBlueSwamper
Poster child
Poster child
IntenseBlueSwamper

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeTue 27 Mar 2012, 8:19 pm

Sounds good man!
Back to top Go down
lanrod
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
lanrod

Number of posts : 56
Rig : 2005 LJ Rubicon
Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeThu 29 Mar 2012, 6:58 pm

That project took a lot of planning, patience know-how and $$$. I'm sure you will enjoy it on the trail. Congrats on a job well done.
Back to top Go down
CJTJ
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
CJTJ

Number of posts : 63
Rig : Jeep tj
specs. : Abunch of cheap chrome crap from Autozone
Registration date : 2010-09-10

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeThu 05 Apr 2012, 1:44 pm

Dam, all I've done lately is put new windshield wipers on and that broke my budget.
Back to top Go down
XJcrawler
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
XJcrawler

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitimeThu 05 Apr 2012, 6:33 pm

Haha yea that's why I went with an xj instead of jk so I could spend the difference in upgrades and not feel as bad about it. I am going to be finally using the jeep this weekend at hidden falls can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The things that have kept me from wheeling   The things that have kept me from wheeling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The things that have kept me from wheeling
Page 1 of 1