MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

stubborn studs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hughiam

hughiam

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-11-29

stubborn studs Empty
PostSubject: stubborn studs   stubborn studs Icon_minitimeSat 24 Mar 2012, 4:29 pm

Ive got a problem I can't resolve. My CJ has a loose wheel stud. The wheel came loose and stripped out all the studs and knocked off all the lug nuts.(Fortunately for me, it did it on a trailer over a 2,000 mile trip from TX to ID. When I got to Idaho I was backing it off the trailer and my son told me the lug nuts were gone. I looked, sure enough three were gone, three studs gone, one lug nut holding the whole tire on. And one that is about half off but the lug nut is tight. So I can't remove the tire.

Im trying to remove the last stud but as its worn the hole in the rotor too big it just spins and spins. You can't reach the back of the stud because the axle housing is in the way and prying the tire out isn't the answer either.

I don't have a cutting torch to remove the lug nut, but could rent one if no other option presents itself. Anyone got a thought?

Thanks, Hugh
Back to top Go down
Batjeep09
Walks The Walk
Walks The Walk

Number of posts : 143
Rig : 2009 2 Dr JK
specs. : Big tires, scratches, cb, winch, lights, bike rack, more scratches and Batman decals.
Registration date : 2011-02-22

stubborn studs Empty
PostSubject: Re: stubborn studs   stubborn studs Icon_minitimeSat 24 Mar 2012, 7:02 pm

Tighten it. If you have an impact,torque it. The stud should break off fairly easy. Are you in SA or ID? I have sockets to rip off lug nuts as well. If your in ID sears sells them. When putting the new stud in, a trick that may help is to put a larger nut than the lug over the stud, then the stud, use an impact to tighten the lug. The larger nut will spin preventing the lug from tightening and will pull the stud through for you. No need for hammering or prying. Hope that helps
Back to top Go down

stubborn studs
Page 1 of 1