MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Emergency Brake Adjustment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

Number of posts : 56
Rig : 2005 Khaki 2 door Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : not enough :)
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Emergency Brake Adjustment Empty
PostSubject: Emergency Brake Adjustment   Emergency Brake Adjustment Icon_minitimeThu 02 Aug 2012, 4:57 pm

Ok guys and gals, same 2005 LJ Rubi, now need to figure out how to adjust the E-brake, it is not holding at the top of its' pull on any kind of an incline. Before diving in, just wondering if anyone has done this, and how?
Back to top Go down
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Brake Adjustment   Emergency Brake Adjustment Icon_minitimeThu 02 Aug 2012, 5:25 pm

okay, found this on like page 8 on google...LOL

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-maintenance-emergencyparking-hand-brake-adjustment

Will give it a whirl soon, and report back...hopefully it works so i can get my inspection sticker soon...hahahahaha
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Brake Adjustment   Emergency Brake Adjustment Icon_minitimeFri 03 Aug 2012, 5:53 pm

Yeah, in my maybe limited experience, pretty much all drum-in-hat parking brakes are identical in their adjustment. The one thing I would say you might want to do differently from how they did it in that link is to adjust it so that when you give the tire a spin with your hand while it's up in the air, it goes through about one full rotation and stops. That means there's a little positive drag on it, but not much. Any little bit of excess will quickly wear off, and we're talking about tiny thousandths of an inch. Should help keep it tighter longer and helps eliminate the guesswork of trying to get it hovering over the drum exactly the same distance on both sides.
Back to top Go down
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Brake Adjustment   Emergency Brake Adjustment Icon_minitimeTue 07 Aug 2012, 11:43 am

Thanks! will have it apart on thursday and report back. plan A is to remove the tire and caliper/rotor and see what i can see. also to replace the pads since i have it apart. will advise.
Back to top Go down
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Brake Adjustment   Emergency Brake Adjustment Icon_minitimeWed 08 Aug 2012, 11:21 am

okay! since i had a job cancel on me this morning i got it into the warehouse and up on jackstands. Rather than dive all the way into it, i decided to follow the least invasive method by going in from the rear and adjusting the star adjuster with a brake spoon.

I adjusted both sides 6 clicks, then 2 more to be safe. The tires almost complete a full revolution. I then went to the cable adjuster since i was under there, and tightened it up by 2 turns.

It now has a good positive lockup 1 click under full handle pull. This was actually easier than i thought it would be, and only needed a $5.50 brake spoon to complete along with a 1/2 open end wrench for the cable adjustment. The access point to the star adjuster is unimpeded and just need to pop the rubber cap off it to see it clearly with a drop lamp.

Hope this may help someone in the future dealing with a similar issue, as they failed my inspection because of it. Now i will be legal on the beach this weekend! LOL See y'all there!
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Brake Adjustment   Emergency Brake Adjustment Icon_minitimeThu 09 Aug 2012, 4:37 pm

See? Easy peasy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Brake Adjustment   Emergency Brake Adjustment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Emergency Brake Adjustment
Page 1 of 1