MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
MyJEEPforum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Spare tire cargo basket/rack

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FastBob
Trail Ready
Trail Ready
FastBob

Number of posts : 56
Rig : 2005 Khaki 2 door Unlimited Rubicon
specs. : not enough :)
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Spare tire cargo basket/rack Empty
PostSubject: Spare tire cargo basket/rack   Spare tire cargo basket/rack Icon_minitimeThu 08 Nov 2012, 6:38 pm

Does anyone have a home built cargo rack/basket that bolts onto or around the spare tire? I would like to locate 2 military style jerry cans, 1 on either side of the spare. I have the smittybuilt jerry can holders, just need a design to work off of for attachment to the spare. I think it probably needs to be a better attachment than the bike racks i have seen around town...LOL I believe the full cans weigh approx 35 lbs each.

On another note, do y'all think that an addtl 75lbs hung on the stock spare tire mount would suffer adverse effects?
Back to top Go down
Deacon
Got No Life
Got No Life
Deacon

Number of posts : 1482
Rig : '06 TJ
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire cargo basket/rack   Spare tire cargo basket/rack Icon_minitimeThu 08 Nov 2012, 8:31 pm

FastBob wrote:
do y'all think that an addtl 75lbs hung on the stock spare tire mount would suffer adverse effects?
Yes, it definitely will. The extra weight alone will be harder on your tailgate and hinges, but the further outboard it sits or the higher it goes, that weight will put more leverage on the tailgate. If you're running or plan to run larger than stock tires, you're really going to mess up that door, and it doesn't take all that long. I say that from experience running a 33" tire on aluminum wheels and then a 35" tire on the rear door, no steel scaffolding and full cans of gas added...

If you're going to be carrying jerry cans and so forth, you need to look at something that's built off an aftermarket bumper or off the body, generally part of a bumper and tire carrier combo or just a tire carrier (leaves options for whatever bumper you may want to run later on) like the one from OR Fab that is really well made and works especially well with corner armor though not required:

Spare tire cargo basket/rack 86201
Back to top Go down
Edwina58

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire cargo basket/rack   Spare tire cargo basket/rack Icon_minitimeSun 19 May 2013, 3:45 am

I had never seen that thing!

arm2teeth.com
Back to top Go down
Shadow46

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2018-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire cargo basket/rack   Spare tire cargo basket/rack Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jun 2018, 9:01 am

Did you find what you're looking for?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spare tire cargo basket/rack   Spare tire cargo basket/rack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spare tire cargo basket/rack
Page 1 of 1